GDT: Devils @ Winnipeg 3:00 PM

MadDog2020

Our top lines are a big negative,  hall , nico, stafford have almost no positive nights... the aggressive style has a tendency to catch our forwards too deep.. and transition goals allowed are mounting... we've been carried by the lower lines.. and our speedy dmen are on the tiny side.. so our play in front and behind our net is a disadvantage 

Our top players need to score more than they give up

Edited by EdgeControl

46 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Our top lines are a big negative,  hall , nico, stafford have almost no positive nights... the aggressive style has a tendency to catch our forwards too deep.. and transition goals allowed are mounting... we've been carried by the lower lines.. and our speedy dmen are on the tiny side.. so our play in front and behind our net is a disadvantage 

Our top players need to score more than they give up

Winnipeg had no answer for them; Hall had 7 shots, Nico 6.  They finally got one goal late but they got a ton of chances before that, especially when the game was close.  1st line is the last thing I'm worried about at the moment.  It's those middle 2 that are an issue right now.

• Like 3

We've got a week defense and an average goaltender. We've been giving up a bunch of goals this season and have still, luckily, been able to win. The thing that worries me is that we're likely to see more of the 5-2 games than not. I don't think this team can keep scoring 4, 5, 6 goals per game. The Devils, as usual, will go through a team wide scoring drought as they inevitably do.

28 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Winnipeg had no answer for them; Hall had 7 shots, Nico 6.  They finally got one goal late but they got a ton of chances before that, especially when the game was close.  1st line is the last thing I'm worried about at the moment.  It's those middle 2 that are an issue right now.

Good point,  I know you aren't a +- guy but the fact is that over the last 8 games our top lines are being out scored. By a good margin.. we possess the puck well but the other teams come down on us and score. OK,  Yes, its more on the D and strategy..so point taken  marcus needs to come back and add a talented forward to those 2 and 3 lines.. Zacha needs to step up..as well

23 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Good point,  I know you aren't a +- guy but the fact is that over the last 8 games our top lines are being out scored. By a good margin.. we possess the puck well but the other teams come down on us and score. OK,  Yes, its more on the D and strategy..so point taken  marcus needs to come back and add a talented forward to those 2 and 3 lines.. Zacha needs to step up..as well

It's also that the top line isn't scoring, but I don't think that's because they're not getting enough chances.  They're just not capitalizing on the chances they're getting.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

It's also that the top line isn't scoring, but I don't think that's because they're not getting enough chances.  They're just not capitalizing on the chances they're getting.

I have a feeling Palmeri is going to go on a nice scoring streak, soon....he needs to be the finisher 

A new day, a new quote about Zacha (who seems to be in the lineup tomorrow): 

On what Zacha needed to learn from watching as a healthy scratch: “How hard you need to compete. How consistently you need to compete and it’s a league you have to move your feet and you have to play. For a guy like him, who has offensive talent, he can’t wait for the puck to come to him. You have to really work without the puck and when you get it back, make plays under pressure and in tight areas.”

On why that’s slipped from Zacha’s game after he looked good in preseason and earlier in the regular season while playing with Taylor Hall: “That’s the challenge. That’s kind of what we’ve talked with him about. What’s the reason for it? You see pockets of it. When he does that, he can be very effective. Therein lies the challenge for young players: the ability to understand daily in this league how hard you have to play and when he was playing like that, he was having success. It’s what we’re trying to work on. We’re trying to get some emotion for him to get back. He’s going to get a good opportunity tomorrow and he’s got to respond.”

From this AG article (there's some stuff about Henrique too and why he may be on the 4th line tomorrow):  http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2017/11/19/new-lines-come-message-devils-practice-pavel-zacha-healthy-scratch-adam-henrique-fourth-line-hynes/879231001/

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

A new day, a new quote about Zacha (who seems to be in the lineup tomorrow): 

On what Zacha needed to learn from watching as a healthy scratch: “How hard you need to compete. How consistently you need to compete and it’s a league you have to move your feet and you have to play. For a guy like him, who has offensive talent, he can’t wait for the puck to come to him. You have to really work without the puck and when you get it back, make plays under pressure and in tight areas.”

On why that’s slipped from Zacha’s game after he looked good in preseason and earlier in the regular season while playing with Taylor Hall: “That’s the challenge. That’s kind of what we’ve talked with him about. What’s the reason for it? You see pockets of it. When he does that, he can be very effective. Therein lies the challenge for young players: the ability to understand daily in this league how hard you have to play and when he was playing like that, he was having success. It’s what we’re trying to work on. We’re trying to get some emotion for him to get back. He’s going to get a good opportunity tomorrow and he’s got to respond.”

From this AG article (there's some stuff about Henrique too and why he may be on the 4th line tomorrow):  http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2017/11/19/new-lines-come-message-devils-practice-pavel-zacha-healthy-scratch-adam-henrique-fourth-line-hynes/879231001/

Very interesting lines...

Hmm, zachas speed of play must have been something they scouted... if they didn't like it why draft him, now they are forcing it out of him.. sounds like something easily done, but it's not... I think he plays well when pressured., 

I Like the fact that he's coming back top 6, though

27 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Hmm, zachas speed of play must have been something they scouted... if they didn't like it why draft him, now they are forcing it out of him.. sounds like something easily done, but it's not... I think he plays well when pressured., 

I Like the fact that he's coming back top 6, though

Zacha was not picked by the current regime.  There'll be endless debates about whether he was Shero's pick or Conte's pick or whatever, but I can't put that pick 100% in Shero's court.

3 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

Very interesting lines...

I really like how Hynes has rewarded/demoted individuals according to performance - no matter who they are. Like those new lines. Zacha should be renewed with Zajac and Bratt. Henrique better feel the swift kick in the ass that is falling down to the fourth line.  Our 2nd and 3rd lines need to get going.

"He's going to get a good opportunity tomorrow and he's got to respond."

That good opportunity? Playing on a line centered by Zajac. Good luck producing tomorrow, Pavel.

Seriously though, I like the way Hynes is handling Zacha. It'll be good for him to get some quality minutes tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Triumph said:

Zacha was not picked by the current regime.  There'll be endless debates about whether he was Shero's pick or Conte's pick or whatever, but I can't put that pick 100% in Shero's court.

Unless I'm mistaken, Shero said something to the effect of "Conte will run the draft" prior to it. I obviously don't take everything at face value, but...

On 11/19/2017 at 11:38 AM, mfitz804 said:

Maybe we should get rid of all of this youth and get big, slow players that wouldn’t make any other team’s roster!

The thing with the Jets is that they have the big guys who have skill.  Unlike most big teams, they're not susceptible to speed.