GDT: Boston @ NJ Devils 7 PM

SterioDesign

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Again, the shot counter was generous and the shots were mostly low quality.

Henrique had a breakaway.  Coleman had a breakaway.  Hischier had an open net that he couldn't convert on.  He also had a pretty open chance 1 on the goalie with some backpressure.

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2017020322

Huh, look at all those little diamonds clustered around the net.

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Henrique had a breakaway.  Coleman had a breakaway.  Hischier had an open net that he couldn't convert on.  He also had a pretty open chance 1 on the goalie with some backpressure.

http://hockeystats.ca/game/2017020322

Huh, look at all those little diamonds clustered around the net.

Well all those little diamonds don't reflect shot blockers and lack of screens. Banging a puck one foot from a goalies pad can't be considered high quality either

Edited by devlman

Just now, devlman said:

Well all those little diamonds don't reflect shot blockers and lack of screens. Banging a puck one foot from a goalies pad can't be considered high quality either

I agree - there weren't enough screens on the Henrique breakaway or the Coleman breakaway.  So yeah, you've successfully shifted the goalposts.  This is where I leave you.  

IDK about positives, I love our young guys, but get ready for a nose dive down the standings. GA come from constant defensive breakdowns. Scoring reminds more and more of the past few years when every goalie looked like a hall of famer. I lost count of how many times they failed to score simply because they f...g lost control of the puck. Henrique used to be a clutch scorer. WTF happened to him? I'm not expecting this team to be stellar, but they certainly have the potential to play better and not suck on home ice. And Hynes with his choice of shooters (Boyle, Severson) must be out of his skull. 

32 minutes ago, devlman said:

Again, the shot counter was generous and the shots were mostly low quality.

Yup, these wristers annoy the hell out of me too. Now slap shots at all.

Just now, Devs64 said:

Yup, these wristers annoy the hell out of me too. Now slap shots at all.

No slap shots

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

something to keep in mind though when you're watching a SO... there's a very very very thin line between

"fvck yeah! Like a boss. So damn calm and smooth like it's no big deal :D !!!!"

and

"Jesus christ! What a lazy moron he barely tried to score :argh:"

Agree, but Bruins looked much more confident. Our guys except Hall were awful.

I love how people on here thought that like last season we wouldn’t be good and exciting to watch, and now that we are and are playing well generally and getting points and good offensive production, they say we’ll start falling in the standings. If we end up making the playoffs, they’ll say : “they’ll get killed in the first round” :D 

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I love how people on here thought that like last season we wouldn’t be good and exciting to watch, and now that we are and are playing well generally and getting points and good offensive production, they say we’ll start falling in the standings. If we end up making the playoffs, they’ll say : “they’ll get killed in the first round” :D 

I like your optimism. It's hard not to see good things. And Trust me I do. But if you really believe they'll be able to stay on top of our division with the way they are playing now then you are a super optimist. Speaking of the playoffs, they should be able to make it if...they significantly improve. Don't judge by 20+ games. It's a long season. Let's wait for a first stretch of divisional games.

Edited by Devs64
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Devs64 said:

I like your optimism. It's hard not to see good things. And Trust me I do. But if you really believe they'll be able to stay on top of our division with the way they are playing now then you are a super optimist. Speaking of the playoffs, they should be able to make it if...they significantly improve. Don't judge by 20+ games. It's a long season. Let's wait for a first stretch of divisional games.

No one should realistically expect them to stay on top of the division though. They are still a young team coming off of five years of futility. They still have a ways to go to being true contenders. 

• Like 1

Wait, we're really dumping on Hynes for shooter choices in an 11 round shootout? C'mon guys... we were like 5 rounds away from seeing Lovejoy take an attempt. That late into the Bettman's Fake Point-a-thon it really doesn't matter who you send out, just hoping for some Marek Malik type sh!t. As for Miles Wood... I would like to see him get redemption but if you've watched his previous penalty shot attempts, for some reason he comes in slow as all hell and just over thinks it. Can't really blame Hynes for not wanting to go with him yet.

Speaking of which, that was honestly brutal to watch... after the first 3-4 shooters for both team's it was just awful attempt after awful attempt, literally the only thing entertaining about it is the fact that a point is riding on it. There's nothing exciting about watching Damon Severson and some "who the fvck is that?" Bruins take awful penalty shots for ten minutes... but whatever. Pretty good game by the team. What sucks is they've lost three contests I can think of in the past few weeks where they were far and away the better team, home against Edmonton, at Toronto, and tonight. Hopefully they can start building off these more complete efforts. At least we got a point.

Liked the 3rd period response and push.  Still got a point out of it.  They win the Corsi game and lose the actual hockey game, I don't know.  I think I liked hockey better before I paid attention to that.  Because I'm bummed they didn't win.   But this team hangs tough most nights, and as long as they're hanging in this thing as the season keeps progressing then they are meeting my expectations.  I'm getting antsy for Mojo to get back, but concussions are no joke so just recover well.

On to a tough Canucks team, let's get 2 points.    And a Good Turkey Day to all.    

11 hours ago, Devs64 said:

IDK about positives, I love our young guys, but get ready for a nose dive down the standings. GA come from constant defensive breakdowns. Scoring reminds more and more of the past few years when every goalie looked like a hall of famer. I lost count of how many times they failed to score simply because they f...g lost control of the puck. Henrique used to be a clutch scorer. WTF happened to him? I'm not expecting this team to be stellar, but they certainly have the potential to play better and not suck on home ice. And Hynes with his choice of shooters (Boyle, Severson) must be out of his skull. 

Well even though it may look weird from the outside who Hynes picked. The coaches are seeing those guys practicing SO and they know their success rate, that's what they go by, we have no clue really other than guessing on what we see in games. 

Also not sure where i saw that but i know that Hynes told the guys lately that if any of them thought they deserved a shot in SO, that it was their chance to prove it and they had a SO session in practice just for that. 

So again, they know more than we do 200% sure it's undeniable so it's just a matter of keeping that in mind

I need to chill on the boyle hate yesterday, it was hockey fights cancer night, so Hynes gave him some moments.. can't kill him for that..  

Thought travis was finding his legs later in this game, a good sign

Benching zacha in the third is getting old, Hynes is being a douche bag now.. if the kid doesn't play fast enough for you cut or trade him.. I thought he was OK, at times very good , like when he carries the puck in or wins a board battle and makes an outlet pass,

Stafford has fallen into the lazy habit of the soft area dump to wood , go chase it miles..

Bratt fit in well with the top dogs

I won't go as far as saying this was our best game of the season, but it's up there. NJ dominated the 2nd and 3rd, which is nice to see. In past seasons, NJ didn't have the skill to put their opponents on their heels when chasing a late equalizer. Nice to see them get rewarded. Not getting the second point sucks, but they have had some good games lately. Toronto, Chicago and Minnesota come to mind.

Yeah, he missed a wide open net, but holy **** Nico is special. He was doing whatever he wanted with the puck and Chara and McAvoy had no answer for him. 

Nice to see Bratt get back on the board. He needs to get going again.

Thought Zajac had his best game of the season and Stafford didn't look useless.

• Like 2