GDT - Devils vs Canucks 11/24/17

NJDfan1711

32 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I was at the game. Only home game I’ll be able to make it to this season. Was fortunate enough to sit two rows behind the glass above the circle. Here’s some observations:

1. Taylor Hall is the best player we’ve had on our team since Kovalchuk and it isn’t even close. Right now I’d say he should be getting mentioned in the Hart conversation.

2. Nico Hischier is 18 years old and is simply always one step ahead. With more strength, that will come from age, this is a franchise player. He is spectacular to watch.

3. Pavel Zacha looked like a top-6 player tonight. He had some smart plays on both ends of the ice. Hope this is a confidence builder for him. 

4. Will fvckin Butcher is dat dude. His assist was one of the prettier plays I’ve ever seen live, and it happened right in front of me. 

5. Kevin Clarke announced Taylor Hall as the second star, by saying “with 4 assists, Taylor Hall!!!!”. Hmm.

6. Adam Henrique was fvcking brutal to watch. Playing with no confidence and seemingly no skill. No idea what’s going on between the ears there, but it’s not pretty.

7. Stafford should be a healthy scratch as soon as we call someone up from the AHL or promote MoJo from the IR. Holy actual balls is he bad.

8. Kevin Hayes winked at my wife three times during warmups. nose.

9. My first game at the Rock in 2 years, felt almost like a playoff atmosphere. Loud, loud, loud. Also, there were a total of zero Rangers Suck chants, at least not that I heard. Will make some people here happy. 

Dammit man, wish I had known that you were going to be there...I went with my daughter (who this time thankfully had zero belly issues).  

Just glad another obvious screwing on the part of the refs didn't take a win away from the Devils.  That non-call was pretty fvcking infuriating.  

Very happy BB scored...loved when the crowd was cheering his name.  Emotional night...my dad is recovering from prostate cancer, and my thoughts were definitely with him...so far so good, hope it stays that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Taylor Hall's goal is still listed as unassisted. I cannot believe that they would take the assist away because the Vancouver player got some stick on it.

Hischier in no way intended to get that puck to Hall at the time the puck was sent that way.  Normally they leave the assists on a goal like that, but they probably shouldn't.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Hischier in no way intended to get that puck to Hall at the time the puck was sent that way.  Normally they leave the assists on a goal like that, but they probably shouldn't.

In no way? I may be misunderstanding you but looking at it again it's hard to tell what Hischier's intention was. There was an initial touch by him to push the puck out from behind then net, and then there was a possible second touch which I definitely think could have been a quick reflexive reaction to direct the puck towards Hall.

That said, looking at the play again frame by frame in slow motion, I'm not sure Hischier's stick ever hit the puck for the second time. It actually seems like he missed it completely while Edler alone knocked it towards Hall. So I can see why they took the assist away.

4 hours ago, Triumph said:

They shouldn't give assists for it, but you just wish they'd be consistent about it. 

9 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Taylor Hall's goal is still listed as unassisted. I cannot believe that they would take the assist away because the Vancouver player got some stick on it.

As much as it was a brilliant finish by Hall I thought that was created by Nico. Seems pretty pathetic to take the assist away considering some of the assists they let stand.

Edited by Aitchmack
  • Like 2

I think that playing on a line with Boyle and Wood is a good spot for Zacha for now.  I'm really impressed this year with Miles Wood's progression.  He really seems to be evolving into a very effective bottom 6 NHL forward.  That may not sound sexy, but you need depth and 4 lines in this league, and having good players at their roles doesn't hurt.  With Boyle centering them,  that line is as good a spot as any for Zacha to start finding his game and progressing into a regular player.  Hopefully he is able to find his game and move on up and some point.  But you just root for consistency as the season churns along.

That 4th line with Noessen should stay as is.  I like that combo as a 4th.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jersey Sure said:

I think that playing on a line with Boyle and Wood is a good spot for Zacha for now.  I'm really impressed this year with Miles Wood's progression.  He really seems to be evolving into a very effective bottom 6 NHL forward.  That may not sound sexy, but you need depth and 4 lines in this league, and having good players at their roles doesn't hurt.  With Boyle centering them,  that line is as good a spot as any for Zacha to start finding his game and progressing into a regular player.  Hopefully he is able to find his game and move on up and some point.  But you just root for consistency as the season churns along.

Hmmm, I see the opposite LOL, miles and boyle seem like anchors in their defensive end.. so any D-zone start is spent as negative metrics.. plus zacha needs to cover boyles center responsibilities and get back because boyle just cant and miles is usually chasing puck dumps deep behind the net.. as bad as they were Id try travis zacha and stafford in hopes that there stick handling abilities can get stafford productive again.. thank goodness marcus is skating w the team

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Hmmm, I see the opposite LOL, miles and boyle seem like anchors in their defensive end.. so any D-zone start is spent as negative metrics.. plus zacha needs to cover boyles center responsibilities and get back because boyle just cant and miles is usually chasing puck dumps deep behind the net.. as bad as they were Id try travis zacha and stafford in hopes that there stick handling abilities can get stafford productive again.. thank goodness marcus is skating w the team

Ha.  It's funny how we see things and come to different conclusions.  Last night that line came out positive in possession.  Zacha fed Wood for a nice chance.  And that line was together one other game, in Chicago.  Zacha fed Wood for a goal in that.  I think Boyle's game is going to trend up as he gets more time.  Personally, I can see that line as a good possession line if they are able to get some time together and gel.  I completely agree on Wood in the D end, however I see a player who is vastly improved in doing little things in the O zone.  More active on the wall, playing a bit better behind the net, and getting to the front.  

You could very well be right in terms of moving Zacha around..I think for a few games this line may show something.  I guess one of the issues maybe is that Boyle is really a 4th line center, and has been good at that.  Coleman's play has sort of thrown Boyle out of place.  Actually the play of that 4th line sort of pushes him up for now.  

I'm just glad Zacha has worked his way back into the lineup for now. I was terrified Hynes might try to Larsson the poor kid. The constant preaching of accountability and teamwork is very Pat Burns to me. I like it.

I also thought that Stafford didn't have an awful game, not enough to get benched for MoJo. The game before against Boston he was getting chances all over and making plays. He's definitively due for some scoring, but I wouldn't bench him.

• Like 1

My issue with lovejoy is his passing under pressure.. he's been decent in defensive play but he still will hand the puck back over in the worst way.. like when he sends it around the boards to the other team without a devil in the zip code.. but on the whole he's providing good minutes.

I'm a zacha fan, but he's not as fast as I expected.. he has good lateral shiftiness but not explosive first stride linearly.. to separate.. not sure what I expect at 6'3"  lol.. but he uses his body well to leverage.. 

Edited by EdgeControl