Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EdgeControl

Roster Musings

Recommended Posts

expect some line shake ups with marcus on the ice.. unfortunately its probably noesen instead of stafford, stafford cant play on bottoms lines.. his board work has imploded

Zajac looks good again (as a skater) he's one of the best players on this team. on this team hes still top 6. imo .. fortunately or not

is zachas time on the top line the start of a show case, or just mud thrown at the wall by hynes.. if they are moving him then they need to try and make him productive somehow.. he looks So uncomfortable without the puck

severson is still in plus territory after 1/4 season, going for 30 pts.. santini is doing the dirty work this year, and is doing OK

will butchers emergency mean we wont sign moore?  I think hynes loves moore and will ask for an offer  3 years 2 mil ea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't dislike Stafford as much as most people do right now. He had a good game against Boston but is def due for some offense. Last game was a rough one against FLA only made worse that he had a couple of prime chances late game he couldn't find the net on. If you thought his early season start was going to continue all year then you were delusional. He was a cheap pickup because he has been on a downward career swing and, I am almost certain, he is just as streaky a player as Henrique. NJ is simply getting what they paid for now. A less productive Stempniak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't dislike Stafford as much as most people do right now. He had a good game against Boston but is def due for some offense. Last game was a rough one against FLA only made worse that he had a couple of prime chances late game he couldn't find the net on. If you thought his early season start was going to continue all year then you were delusional. He was a cheap pickup because he has been on a downward career swing and, I am almost certain, he is just as streaky a player as Henrique. NJ is simply getting what they paid for now. A less productive Stempniak. 

As I said, the troubles with him is his possessions and board play , why should that drop Off?  I'm not even talking scoring chances.. he's looking down on the puck like a peewee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

As I said, the troubles with him is his possessions and board play , why should that drop Off?  I'm not even talking scoring chances.. he's looking down on the puck like a peewee 

I'm also a guy who isn't displeased with what Stafford's brought to the table so far, but I haven't noticed his possession and board play being that bad either.  I'll have to pay more attention to that soon and see if I feel the same way.

In regards to the others, I really think Zacha could use a good mentor.  I'm not sure there's someone one this team to help him, ideally it would be an older Russian player, someone he could relate to a bit, to help get him motivated and teach him how to be a productive NHLer.  But he's still young, so I think if you continue to give him opportunities, eventually he may/should find his niche.

I'd like to see more production out of Zajac, but obviously he's only bee back a few games now so I don't have too much to say about him.  Let him get more games under his belt before we make any judgments.  I do wish he would have won a few of those key faceoffs late last game, but that's just a minor gripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

As I said, the troubles with him is his possessions and board play , why should that drop Off?  I'm not even talking scoring chances.. he's looking down on the puck like a peewee 

When you're in a rough patch sometimes it's like nothing is going right? I don't know if there is a legitimate excuse for him. I haven't noticed his board play suffering, mostly just his inability to hit the net. He seems to be getting scoring chances, so he is putting himself in the right position to be a threat. Maybe Hynes will give Blandisi a shot if Stafford doesn't pick it up. He has 13 pts in 18 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm also a guy who isn't displeased with what Stafford's brought to the table so far, but I haven't noticed his possession and board play being that bad either.  I'll have to pay more attention to that soon and see if I feel the same way.

In regards to the others, I really think Zacha could use a good mentor.  I'm not sure there's someone one this team to help him, ideally it would be an older Russian player, someone he could relate to a bit, to help get him motivated and teach him how to be a productive NHLer.  But he's still young, so I think if you continue to give him opportunities, eventually he may/should find his niche.

I'd like to see more production out of Zajac, but obviously he's only bee back a few games now so I don't have too much to say about him.  Let him get more games under his belt before we make any judgments.  I do wish he would have won a few of those key faceoffs late last game, but that's just a minor gripe.

Why a Russian? Zacha is Czech. Too bad the Devils don’t have a quality one of those hanging around the organization...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Why a Russian? Zacha is Czech. Too bad the Devils don’t have a quality one of those hanging around the organization...

Yeah, not all Pavels are Russain, you racist!

:)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm also a guy who isn't displeased with what Stafford's brought to the table so far, but I haven't noticed his possession and board play being that bad either.  I'll have to pay more attention to that soon and see if I feel the same way.

In regards to the others, I really think Zacha could use a good mentor.  I'm not sure there's someone one this team to help him, ideally it would be an older Russian player, someone he could relate to a bit, to help get him motivated and teach him how to be a productive NHLer.  But he's still young, so I think if you continue to give him opportunities, eventually he may/should find his niche.

I'd like to see more production out of Zajac, but obviously he's only bee back a few games now so I don't have too much to say about him.  Let him get more games under his belt before we make any judgments.  I do wish he would have won a few of those key faceoffs late last game, but that's just a minor gripe.

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random fact :evil:

Hockey Reference‏ Verified account @hockey_ref Nov 28

Jesper Bratt is the third @NJDevils player this season to score his 15th career point before his 25th career game. The Devils had three players in total do that from 1997-2016 hkref.com/tiny/0Okkc 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Why a Russian? Zacha is Czech. Too bad the Devils don’t have a quality one of those hanging around the organization...

Whoops, yeah that is what I meant!  I wasn't exactly sure where he was from and couldn't remember if it was Russia or Czech Republic, so I took a gamble and just picked one.  I was wrong lol

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, not all Pavels are Russain, you racist!

:)

True, I always get them mixed up and assume one for the other :unsure:

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

image.jpeg

I know. I immediately thought of him of course.  Would have probably been a great fit in this situation :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Random fact :evil:

Hockey Reference‏ Verified account @hockey_ref Nov 28

Jesper Bratt is the third @NJDevils player this season to score his 15th career point before his 25th career game. The Devils had three players in total do that from 1997-2016 hkref.com/tiny/0Okkc 

Isn't he the 4th?  Gibbons, Butcher, Hischier...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Isn't he the 4th?  Gibbons, Butcher, Hischier...

Gibbons has played 90 games and has 37 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marshall said:

Gibbons has played 90 games and has 37 points.

Oh jesus.  For some reason I was thinking he was a rookie too.  Nevermind, carry on :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Short article praising Hall with highlight videos from nhl.com:  https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/its-hall-in-the-numbers/c-293487236

Should we trade hall for a few firsts while hes hot??? LOL  his next contract will be interesting.. there will be lots of money to eat at the end of it, most likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this thread is best, but, I see Wood getting less time, Colemans increased (realize he's out on pk) Zacha didn't help at all.

besides being fast, what does Wood bring to the table? Think Quenville would be better? What does Zacha do well? Playmaker? good along the walls? he plays with no urgency. I realize he's still very young, but so is Brats/Butcher/Nico. Zacha needs more "seasoning" in Binghamton? That will straighten his ass out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think you can send Zacha down to the minors at this point without destroying his confidence.

Just have to hope something clicks and he eventually puts it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Not sure if this thread is best, but, I see Wood getting less time, Colemans increased (realize he's out on pk) Zacha didn't help at all.

besides being fast, what does Wood bring to the table? Think Quenville would be better? What does Zacha do well? Playmaker? good along the walls? he plays with no urgency. I realize he's still very young, but so is Brats/Butcher/Nico. Zacha needs more "seasoning" in Binghamton? That will straighten his ass out.

Wood at least gets under opposing players skin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 2:02 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't think you can send Zacha down to the minors at this point without destroying his confidence.

Just have to hope something clicks and he eventually puts it together.

Zacha shouldn't have any say in whether or not he gets sent down,  he has no meaningful role here at this time.  So he should do the mature thing and go down when and if asked and work his ass off and earn his way back here.  If he pouts and doesn't learn from being sent down he's a lost cause.  He gotta earn his ice time here and the respect of the coaching staff.  I think the worst case is he continues to work the nachos at this level more often than not. I don't think he gets a free pass and is given a top six slot so he can show what he has, he hasn't shown much of anything.  In the real world most of us have to prove ourselves on a daily basis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if Jacob MacDonald would get a look up here sometime this year?  Is he on a two way? or just an AHL deal? He's lighting it up up there, a late bloomer as they say? Or a career AHL'er?

Edited by vadvlfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t Zacha have to pass through waivers to go to The AHL?

Edited by Jerzey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Doesn’t Zacha have to pass through waivers to go to The AHL?

According to Capfriendly, he’s still waivers exempt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

According to Capfriendly, he’s still waivers exempt 

Oh I thought that if they played in the OHL they can’t be assigned to the AHL without going through waivers. The whole waiver thing confuses me I guess.

Edited by Jerzey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×