Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Someone paid $5K to shave off his mustache at the party.  Great it went to charity but wonder if they are regretting it.

It went to a good cause so i'm sure there's no regret there. Plus it's a great memorable thing. It's basically the last thing he did in NJ. Great send off

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

You got to give to get. Fair trade by both sides.The xfactor to me is how the draft picks pan out. Even Blandisi to an extent. But this is a great move toward becoming the real deal. No way this team wins the Cup with the existing D corp as it was. Still some work to be done. John Carlson would be huge! Come home kid! I wonder if he and Palms know each other.

Back to Rico...Anyone that was in the building for that Ranger killing goal was beyond fortunate. It still brings the hairs right up on my arms. It ranks right up there with me for all time fan moments and that even includes me being on the ice with the players after game 7 in 2003

Best of luck to Rico in Orange County. Blender probably has a permasmile, especially if he gets to go from Binghampton to Socal.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It went to a good cause so i'm sure there's no regret there. Plus it's a great memorable thing. It's basically the last thing he did in NJ. Great send off

I guess you are right about that.  I saw pics of the guy doing it and he just didn't look/seem so enthused about it (the high bidder), but then again they are just pictures lol.

As it’s been about 4ish hours, I’m starting to feel like this deal parallels with the Arnott-McKay for Langenbrunner-Neiuwendyk deal almost 15 years ago.

i remember it came after the deadline, taking me, and a lot of people, by surprise especially since I liked Arnott and McKay.

hopefully this move proves to be a catalyst like that one did.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

They had vatanen on hockey central today, he was at the airport (presumably flying to Denver). He said the right things but obviously there wasn't any enthusiasm in his tone. I hope he enjoys it here, on and off the ice. 

Rico hosted his Movember event in Hoboken last night and they covered in on NHL Network this morning. Sad to see the highlights of that event with him having played his last game here. 

He could be feeling the same emotions as Henrique...I think that first time being traded from the team that drafted them affects some of these guys, as we saw with Hall.  But most get over it. 

Just now, jagknife said:

As it’s been about 4ish hours, I’m starting to feel like this deal parallels with the Arnott-McKay for Langenbrunner-Neiuwendyk deal almost 15 years ago.

i remember it came after the deadline, taking me, and a lot of people, by surprise especially since I liked Arnott and McKay.

hopefully this move proves to be a catalyst like that one did.

I was in full WTF?! mode when that deal was made...to me, all I could think was "Why is Lou killing the A-line so quickly?"  They had become a complete nonentity on the road that season, but it still just didn't feel right to me at the time. 

• Like 2

Just a placeholder for this, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle of the world wide web.  

This article is no longer on the Devil's website, but still on the NHL's website.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/adam-henrique-new-jersey-devils-host-event-to-raise-movember-money/c-293479458

If someone already linked it, sorry, have not been able to catch up with all the pages, crazy work day....  (and still feeling down...)

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Love Adam for what he did in the past but I'm sick of missing the playoffs and I feel like this only will boost our chances of making the playoffs this year. I know, rebuild, work in progress, blah blah blah, I don't care. Just get in and you never know what could happen especially if Cory gets on a crazy roll and Hall goes nuts in his first playoffs. Just keep winning. 

Varanen is a young D and he is signed for 3 more years including this one. No doubt that is also a “long-term” move by shero, like the other ones heMs done. He might see a fit for him long-term here with Hall, Palms, Mojo, Hishcier etc. It’s part of the “rebuilding”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hystyk28 said:

You got to give to get. Fair trade by both sides.The xfactor to me is how the draft picks pan out. Even Blandisi to an extent. But this is a great move toward becoming the real deal. No way this team wins the Cup with the existing D corp as it was. Still some work to be done. John Carlson would be huge! Come home kid! I wonder if he and Palms know each other.

Back to Rico...Anyone that was in the building for that Ranger killing goal was beyond fortunate. It still brings the hairs right up on my arms. It ranks right up there with me for all time fan moments and that even includes me being on the ice with the players after game 7 in 2003

Best of luck to Rico in Orange County. Blender probably has a permasmile, especially if he gets to go from Binghampton to Socal.

I believe they played together in the WJC for the States in 2010. The team that won vs Canada in OT when, funny enough, Carlson scores the winner.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

we could always re-sign Henrique in 2 years if it's a good fit then

This isn't a knock on anyone, but I could see Lou doing that more than I would see Shero doing it...I think Shero has a pretty specific vision in mind and I don't think Henrique quite fit.  I think if all goes according to plan, there won't be room for him by the time he goes UFA...don't think I'd ever want to overpay for Henrique anyway, which kind of goes hand-in-hand with UFA signings. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He could be feeling the same emotions as Henrique...I think that first time being traded from the team that drafted them affects some of these guys, as we saw with Hall.  But most get over it. 

I was in full WTF?! mode when that deal was made...to me, all I could think was "Why is Lou killing the A-line so quickly?"  They had become a complete nonentity on the road that season, but it still just didn't feel right to me at the time. 

Yea, of course. I've watched some other interviews with him at this point, and he seems to always have that tone, though. Could just be his Finnish genes. 

I had the same reaction about the Arnott-McKay deal CR. I was PISSED about that one at first. Obviously it worked out in the end lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This isn't a knock on anyone, but I could see Lou doing that more than I would see Shero doing it...I think Shero has a pretty specific vision in mind and I don't think Henrique quite fit.  I think if all goes according to plan, there won't be room for him by the time he goes UFA...don't think I'd ever want to overpay for Henrique anyway, which kind of goes hand-in-hand with UFA signings. 

Not to mention if you re-sign MarJo where are you going to put Henrique?  The top six for the forseeable future would be some combination of Hall-Nico-Palm-MarJo-Zacha/Zajac-Bratt or even one of the kids who hasn't come up yet like McLeod.  They weren't going to give big money and years to a 2/3 line tweener when they have other needs.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, Devs3cups said:

I believe they played together in the WJC for the States in 2010. The team that won vs Canada in OT when, funny enough, Carlson scores the winner.

Yes, what a game, I did forget about that...however, I was really wondering how well they know each other. Sometimes in youth hockey, when the top players forge quite a disdain for each other while growing up, so I am just curious if it is a positive or a negative in regards to their possible relationship.

I guess when it is all said and done...the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ he is going to get can make that decision easier.

53 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not to mention if you re-sign MarJo where are you going to put Henrique?  The top six for the forseeable future would be some combination of Hall-Nico-Palm-MarJo-Zacha/Zajac-Bratt or even one of the kids who hasn't come up yet like McLeod.  They weren't going to give big money and years to a 2/3 line tweener when they have other needs.

Don't know if MoJo gets re-signed...too early to tell.  But it all goes back to the same thing, as far as Henrique goes...one body that wasn't here for a big chunk of the season in Zajac came back, and two more in MoJo and Palms soon will.  Lots of forwards (and you still have Q down in the AHL) and a need for a defenseman.  You can also argue that Henrique's value might have never have been any higher than it is right now...he had that point surge to make his offensive numbers look more respectable, and he still has one more year after this one under cost control.  Anaheim was also somewhat desperate for a center. 

Blender is what he is...I don't think he'll ever stick in the NHL on a contender, though I give him a shot to be a bad-team kind of player...a guy you try to make do with while you're transitioning through lean years.  He's already 23 years old and still hasn't stuck yet...but with Gibby doing what he has and Blender falling behind other guys, he just wasn't going to get another chance here.  It will be interesting to see if he gets one with Anaheim, or if he's eventually flipped again for something else. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Sounds like most of you are enamored with his good looks as opposed to his on ice production...which is an entire different story...

20-30 goal scorers don’t just grow on trees. People act like all he ever did was score 1 big goal against the Rags. He’s scored 20+ 3 times.

Oy getting in late here. In your heart, Henrique is the last player you want to see go. He seemed to love playing for the Devils. He's the player you envision playing out his whole career in NJ, the Canadian who falls in love with NJ and never leaves, and has kids here who grow up native New Jerseyans and he talks about the highways and diners like the average NJer. And NJ falls in love with him too. But he's the first player you trade if you're using your brain. And that's what Shero did. He absolutely has another level to reach and he's not going to get there in NJ with all the depth at forward. Anaheim needs scoring help and he's going to thrive there.

Henrique is an NJ hero forever and nothing is ever going to change that. Unless he signs with the Rangers one day.

• Like 3