The Devils Can't Score Since Nov. 16th.

Neb00rs

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was thinking of that myself, and I'm definitely a person who likes to play devil's advocate, BUT...as someone who is on the wrong side of 30 myself and still playing hockey, I can tell you when I see younger guys on the rink and compare myself to them, there's no doubt that they have more energy and can keep the engines running longer than I can.  It's just a product of getting older and your body not being able to keep up.   Now if we're talking from a mental standpoint, then sure, maybe the veterans have the minds and experience to push themselves harder, but from a physical aspect, the younger guys with less miles on their bodies are the ones who have a pep in their step each night, even if they've played a string of games recently.

No offense, but you can't possibly compare your experience to NHLers.  Are you playing roughly 12-15 games per month?  Against some of the best players in the world?  Traveling to Canada and the West Coast and all points in between?  Practicing nearly every day?  Did you go from playing about 60-something games (assuming it was ever that many) against competition where you were likely THE best player on the ice (often by far), to potentially 82 games where you're playing against plenty of pretty damned awesome talents in almost every single game?  It's just a whole different beast.      

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Young'uns are the type to have that pep in their step and fizzle out after 20 games just like a five year-old bonces off walls for three hours and then drops into a nap in the middle of the floor. I'm not talking about 38 year old veterans here, I'm talking about 26-33. Those are the best conditioned guys on the ice AND they have the strongest bodies to bear the brunt of the opposition. Honestly, Nico's endurance looks good, but he's is getting manhandled out there. At 18 years old and a lanky 6'1 175 lbs, he's going to need some rest time this season, or the physical impact will take a toll. 

Yeah, I hear you.  I think it works both ways.  Only reason I brought that up is because I'm 31 soon to be 32, and I can look at a couple friends on my team, guys who are even only a few years younger than me at 27-28, and I can see them still skating around with more energy, and this is especially true for the guys in the late teens/early 20s.  You look at them and realize how much faster you were at that age and how you didn't tire as quickly.  True I'm not an NHL athlete, but neither are the guys I'm talking about.  I'm as competitive as they come and definitely try to keep up with guys nearly half my age, and although it's cliché, sometimes you have to face the facts, and realize that you're just not capable of doing things you were several years ago. I think this is true when it comes to being able to play games night after night.  But, hey, we could debate this all day long.  I do agree with you, from a physicality standpoint in terms of the bumps and bruises, as well as the mental toughness of being able to give 100% night after night, the vets probably have it easier, I just think it's their wheels that slow down quicker.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No offense, but you can't possibly compare your experience to NHLers.  Are you playing roughly 12-15 games per month?  Against some of the best players in the world?  Traveling to Canada and the West Coast and all points in between?  Practicing nearly every day?  Did you go from playing about 60-something games (assuming it was ever that many) against competition where you were likely THE best player on the ice (often by far), to potentially 82 games where you're playing against plenty of pretty damned awesome talents in almost every single game?  It's just a whole different beast.      

No, no, no, and no :)  I knew that was going to come up, which is why I'll refer you to my previous post with Neboors lol.  I'm definitely no NHLer, but when I compare myself not being able to keep up with younger guys who seem to have more speed and energy than I do, it's guys who are comparable to me -- with the difference being that I have a few years on them.  That's what I was trying to get across.  That, in essence, skill level aside, speaking purely from an aging perspective, I think you see the same effects, whether you're at the NHL level, or the beer league level, guys in their early 20s are always going to be faster than guys in the early 30s.  I agree with Neboors that the age range of roughly 27-33ish probably has the best overall conditioned athletes, taking into account not just your physical ability but your mental toughness and life experience as well.  But again if we are purely discussing energy levels and speed (which is what I thought we were talking about initially when it came do why the Devils appear tired and exhausted), then I think age shouldn't really be an excuse or a reason.  But again, I definitely see the other side of the argument as well :)

Lack of offense starts with the inability to break out of the D zone. Our defensemen are all getting abused far too often leading to turnovers. Forwards have to commit to helping with this first and foremost, and chip pucks into the O zone instead of trying to force their way in every time. Gotta get back to the basics.

the good news is hynes is using the same lineup that got thumped vs arizona.

seems brilliant to me.

i know we get on every coach for some decision - fans always think someone that is scratched would be better playing but the consistent pass that stafford has gotten makes me crazy. i get that hayes has to get a shot after a bunch of scratches. fine. and if they want to say noeson brings something - i guess that's fine too. but why hasn't stafford been held accountable. i know there's an issue with not enough RH shots but wood has shown he can play RW so move him over.

the AG story that's about to come out re: zacha is a bad look on hynes. there have been enough flashes of good since zacha's 4 out of 5 game scratching that it's worth getting him consistent minutes. it's not like the offense is clicking outside of the top line.

hall - hischier - bratt

johansson - zacha - wood

gibbons - coleman - noeson

boyle - zajac - hayes

that "4th" line is more meant for cycling anyway. putting any of them with anyone with speed is a waste. and frankly, zacha has earned 2nd line play more than zajac has if we're going by this year.

as for santini - i've said it before and i'll say again - his biggest problem is that he was paired with andy greene. they gave greene what is now the best defenseman on the team in vatanen for two straight games and he still had his issues in colorado and was solely responsible for 3 of the 5 goals against.

this is not rocket science:

greene - severson

moore - vatenen

butcher - santini

give 8-16 favorable ozone starts and try to keep them away from the toughs. severson and vatenen can split handling them.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

they gave greene what is now the best defenseman on the team in vatanen for two straight games and he still had his issues in colorado and was solely responsible for 3 of the 5 goals against.

This is totally ridiculous. He looked bad on the first goal but did absolutely nothing wrong on any of the others. He was on the ice for two of the other four, but that's about it.

5 minutes ago, munichdevil said:

This is totally ridiculous. He looked bad on the first goal but did absolutely nothing wrong on any of the others. He was on the ice for two of the other four, but that's about it.

Are you kidding? He did nothing wrong on the 2 on 1? You mean where he took nobody and backed off the 2nd guy and just got in kinkaid’s way? That was the right play?

And the play where he didn’t block a shot right at him and instead deflected into his own net? He played that fine?

ok. 

Santini is getting absolutely destroyed.  I agree that a lot has to do with Greene who is also starting to get destroyed, but go watch some Santini and go watch Lovejoy from last year and it's not going to look that dissimilar.  A lot of off the glass and out, a lot of unforced icings.  Yeah, sometimes Santini will pin a guy or catch an opposing forward unaware and that's fun, but in terms of actual game effect it's the same thing - just a lot of opponents taking a lot of shots.

I don't expect Vatanen to look comfortable for a long time, maybe even the season.  I've seen too many defensemen come in at the deadline and look like 'why'd we get this guy?'  

I think part of the reason why these lines with Bratt and Zacha aren't doing great with them at RW is that it really does affect the breakout when you have guys on their off-wing.  I'd like to see Lappin back in the league and promote Noesen to a higher line, even though his game really doesn't work great up there.  I hate Stafford too but he can theoretically finish - put him with Hall and Hischier.

Zacha still just looks too passive off the puck.   If he's going to be a wing he should be getting on people with his speed and size and I don't see that enough.  

The real key about the team not scoring is that they're not very good.  There's a bunch of holes on the team, and I'm hoping that Zajac isn't going to become one, though he certainly might be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Are you kidding? He did nothing wrong on the 2 on 1? You mean where he took nobody and backed off the 2nd guy and just got in kinkaid’s way? That was the right play?

And the play where he didn’t block a shot right at him and instead deflected into his own net? He played that fine?

ok. 

There is absolutely nothing Greene can do on either of these two goals. He took care of Martinook on the first and on the second he tried to block the shot and it went through his legs. This happens, to blame Greene for this is just dumb.    

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't see any problem with him comparing his situation with NHL hockey based on what he said. It's the same thing. Except the NHL is quite a few notch higher. All the NHL players are having the same routine and have insane amount of talent. In a beer league.. all the players are also mostly having the same routine and amount of talent so from an angle where you compare your level of energy compared to younger kids.. it totally works

his example was not saying that it was like playing in the NHL or wtv. Simply that he sees a difference between older guys and younger guys. I've seen it too myself and i can agree

• Like 1

5 hours ago, munichdevil said:

There is absolutely nothing Greene can do on either of these two goals. He took care of Martinook on the first and on the second he tried to block the shot and it went through his legs. This happens, to blame Greene for this is just dumb.    

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see any signal from Greene letting Wood know which player to go to. Wood went for the player with the puck and Greene should have cut off the pass but also went more for the puck carrier. Or Green should have motioned to Wood to have him go block the pass and Greene could have stepped up on the puck carrier. I always see the D point to the player for the other guy to cover. Didn't happen on this play. I love Greene but he screwed up on that play.

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't see any problem with him comparing his situation with NHL hockey based on what he said. It's the same thing. Except the NHL is quite a few notch higher. All the NHL players are having the same routine and have insane amount of talent. In a beer league.. all the players are also mostly having the same routine and amount of talent so from an angle where you compare your level of energy compared to younger kids.. it totally works

his example was not saying that it was like playing in the NHL or wtv. Simply that he sees a difference between older guys and younger guys. I've seen it too myself and i can agree

Agree to disagree on this one...in the NHL, playing hockey is their lives, their job.  Almost all of the players are in tip-top condition (though there's always guys not as committed to conditioning as others, and some guys learn the hard way that "in game shape" might take on a different meaning once they're playing against top talent every night), and there's daily practices, tape reviews, multiple coaches, etc. 

In beer leagues, for lack of better words, for a lot of guys, it's a hobby...just about everyone's working day jobs, and the kind of shape that players are in is all over the spectrum...and just like any other hobby, each individual's level of commitment varies wildly.  It's just different...different enough that I don't think anyone who plays in one can really try to compare what they do to what NHL players do, in any aspect.  I used to play in bands for years (drums), and even opened up for Godsmack once, in 1998.  Me trying to compare my experiences to a band that was doing everything in its power to make it would be similarly flawed...we practiced once or twice a week, we played 5-8 gigs a month, and we all held 5-day 40+ hour a week jobs...and the only money that we funneled into the band (for cheap demos and other stuff) was our meager earnings from gigs.  Though my bassist seemed to think that Sony record execs were going to walk into any of the dives we were playing in any day to sign us to a 5-record deal, the fact is we never made it our lives and though I practiced a decent amount on my own and was definitely pretty good, I was never close to being committed enough (or naturally talented enough) to think about making it on any level. 

I'm not saying this is the case with NJDfan specifically, but I think a lot of aging athletes who were never close to being good enough to play professionally (but can clean up or hold their own against much lesser competition) really want to believe that playing in some beer league qualifies them to talk about even the best pro leagues as though they're almost the same thing.  I just don't see it.     

Where I do agree with neb00rs and NJDfan1711 is that I think it's not THE youngest guys who are in the best shape...like I alluded to before, I think most of the younger guys learn about proper NHL-level conditioning in the NHL.  I think Nico will come back next season with more muscle and higher endurance...another year in the Q and I think he could've finished with 100 points without breaking a sweat...he's finding out first-hand how different it is up here.  As good as he's been, I think he realizes that what worked in the Q (from a strength and endurance standpoint) won't be good enough here long-term.  The good news with guys like him and others, they'll make the adjustments and put the time in...a guy like Nico will find a trainer or trainers in the offseason (if the Devils don't provide them for him) who will practically live with him this offseason.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The good news with guys like him and others, they'll make the adjustments and put the time in...a guy like Nico will find a trainer or trainers in the offseason (if the Devils don't provide them for him) who will practically live with him this offseason.     

He has most certainly had that for (at least!) the past two off-seasons. Otherwise his agent is a total moron. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree to disagree on this one...in the NHL, playing hockey is their lives, their job.  Almost all of the players are in tip-top condition (though there's always guys not as committed to conditioning as others, and some guys learn the hard way that "in game shape" might take on a different meaning once they're playing against top talent every night), and there's daily practices, tape reviews, multiple coaches, etc. 

In beer leagues, for lack of better words, for a lot of guys, it's a hobby...just about everyone's working day jobs, and the kind of shape that players are in is all over the spectrum...and just like any other hobby, each individual's level of commitment varies wildly.  It's just different...different enough that I don't think anyone who plays in one can really try to compare what they do to what NHL players do, in any aspect.  I used to play in bands for years (drums), and even opened up for Godsmack once, in 1998.  Me trying to compare my experiences to a band that was doing everything in its power to make it would be similarly flawed...we practiced once or twice a week, we played 5-8 gigs a month, and we all held 5-day 40+ hour a week jobs...and the only money that we funneled into the band (for cheap demos and other stuff) was our meager earnings from gigs.  Though my bassist seemed to think that Sony record execs were going to walk into any of the dives we were playing in any day to sign us to a 5-record deal, the fact is we never made it our lives and though I practiced a decent amount on my own and was definitely pretty good, I was never close to being committed enough (or naturally talented enough) to think about making it on any level. 

I'm not saying this is the case with NJDfan specifically, but I think a lot of aging athletes who were never close to being good enough to play professionally (but can clean up against much lesser competition) really want to believe that playing in some beer league qualifies them to talk about even the best pro leagues as though they're almost the same thing.  I just don't see it.     

Where I do agree with neb00rs and NJDfan1711 is that I think it's not THE youngest guys who are in the best shape...like I alluded to before, I think most of the younger guys learn about proper NHL-level conditioning in the NHL.  I think Nico will come back next season with more muscle and higher endurance...another year in the Q and I think he could've finished with 100 points without breaking a sweat.  As good as he's been, I think he realizes that what worked in the Q (from a strength and endurance standpoint) won't be good enough here long-term.  The good news with guys like him and others, they'll make the adjustments and put the time in...a guy like Nico will find a trainer or trainers in the offseason (if the Devils don't provide them for him) who will practically live with him this offseason.     

I just think you're seeing his comment from the wrong angle. Comparing is not saying it's the same thing or wtv. It's using situation on different levels to make a point. Based on you saying "but I think a lot of aging athletes who were never close to being good enough to play professionally (but can clean up against much lesser competition) really want to believe that playing in some beer league qualifies them to talk about even the best pro leagues as though they're almost the same thing.  I just don't see it." It does really seem like you think that's what he's saying but i'm sure it was not his point at all (don't want to put words in his mouth of course).

For example It's like me saying that i played with guys like PK Subban when it comes to someone very self centered / all about himself and how it can affect the whole team. I never played in the NHL and never with someone on Subban's skills level etc etc But i can still talk about how someone like that can impact a team cause were all humans interacting with each other.

As for your band analogy. Say one of your band member would have been an alcoholic or drug addict and it would have impacted the way you guys had to do things. You can still understand what huge bands are dealing with. It's the same thing except it's bigger scale and impacting more people.

And the youngest players are not always in the best shape but it's certainly easier for them to get in shape. I mean... that's science lol We can deny it all we want. Age does affect you and we're seeing it in just about everything and that's the point he was initially making i'm sure

VO2 max . ATP replenishment and any other anaerobic conditioning factors are extremely individual.. but sprinters peak at around 27-29 there will be improvement

i think its that vets know how to use their energy reserves much better than rookies. theres a huge difference in going 90% vs 110%.. hopefully hynes doesnt expect 110% all the time.. it causes bad turnovers

51 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I just think you're seeing his comment from the wrong angle. Comparing is not saying it's the same thing or wtv. It's using situation on different levels to make a point. Based on you saying "but I think a lot of aging athletes who were never close to being good enough to play professionally (but can clean up against much lesser competition) really want to believe that playing in some beer league qualifies them to talk about even the best pro leagues as though they're almost the same thing.  I just don't see it." It does really seem like you think that's what he's saying but i'm sure it was not his point at all (don't want to put words in his mouth of course).

For example It's like me saying that i played with guys like PK Subban when it comes to someone very self centered / all about himself and how it can affect the whole team. I never played in the NHL and never with someone on Subban's skills level etc etc But i can still talk about how someone like that can impact a team cause were all humans interacting with each other.

As for your band analogy. Say one of your band member would have been an alcoholic or drug addict and it would have impacted the way you guys had to do things. You can still understand what huge bands are dealing with. It's the same thing except it's bigger scale and impacting more people.

And the youngest players are not always in the best shape but it's certainly easier for them to get in shape. I mean... that's science lol We can deny it all we want. Age does affect you and we're seeing it in just about everything and that's the point he was initially making i'm sure

Exactly.  I'm definitely not saying I'm on the same level of NHLers, but I think playing the game and being in similar situations allows me to relate to what they're going through, and how some of the stuff that I see and went through has the same effects that they experience as well.   It's definitely true that beer leagues and rec leagues have guys in all types of physical conditions - the league I play in has players of varying abilities and certainly there are a few guys here and there who would be akin to your "goon" or 4th-line type guys, and while I'm certainly not trying to put myself on any pedestal or anything, but just to give this example some credibility - the league does consist mostly of players in fine hockey shape, guys who have played tournaments/travel most of their lives.  A bunch of the guys played in the State Wars tournament a couple of months ago, and just last week a few guys from my team went over and played in London.  Another guy on our team, and he's probably the best or one of the best in the league, played pro hockey in Sweden last year.  Again, not saying it's anywhere near the NHL level, and of those guys I just mentioned I'm not even on their level, but I don't think the idea being able to relate to NHL players from a physical conditioning standpoint should be dismissed entirely just because you yourself aren't an NHL player.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Exactly.  I'm definitely not saying I'm on the same level of NHLers, but I think playing the game and being in similar situations allows me to relate to what they're going through, and how some of the stuff that I see and went through has the same effects that they experience as well.   It's definitely true that beer leagues and rec leagues have guys in all types of physical conditions - the league I play in has players of varying abilities and certainly there are a few guys here and there who would be akin to your "goon" or 4th-line type guys, and while I'm certainly not trying to put myself on any pedestal or anything, but just to give this example some credibility - the league does consist mostly of players in fine hockey shape, guys who have played tournaments/travel most of their lives.  A bunch of the guys played in the State Wars tournament a couple of months ago, and just last week a few guys from my team went over and played in London.  Another guy on our team, and he's probably the best or one of the best in the league, played pro hockey in Sweden last year. Again, not saying it's anywhere near the NHL level, and of those guys I just mentioned I'm not even on their level, but I don't think the idea being able to relate to NHL players from a physical conditioning standpoint should be dismissed entirely just because you yourself aren't an NHL player.

Yeah i totally get you. I make analogies all the time and quite often i'm using examples pointing out at something very specific within that example and i'm clear about that. But often it goes way above people's head and they pick apart other parts of your example to make it look like it makes no sense lol But more often than not they simply missed what you were trying to say or didn't really try to get it.

In reality sometime that's part of a bigger social problem where when people are debating something... They do not listen to understand what they are saying... they are often listening and anticipating something they can pick apart to build a counter argument. So doing that you often miss what the person is really trying to say. Of course i'm not saying that's what Colorado Rockies was doing in this specific case, all im saying is that not everything is black and white.

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean, what are we arguing about here? Rookies and other newer players simply do not have the level of conditioning that older players have, most of the time. Nor do they often have the size and muscle to bear the brunt of the physicality of the NHL for a full season as well as the older guys. The reason the difference between an NHL player and anyone else is so huge is that NHL players, as CR pointed out, play hockey for a living and have infinite time and resources dedicated to their improvement in such. Biologically speaking, sure there are some advantages to being younger (18-23 or so) in terms of injury recovery time and flexibility but that at 31 years old one would be having a hard time keeping up with the "kids" is not a sign of deterioration by age but of deterioration by not keeping oneself in shape, as many adults don't maintain proper diet and exercise throughout their 20s. That's not the case for most NHLers who have nutritionists, personal fitness coaches, all-day access to elite fitness facilities, and a job playing ice hockey for a living. 

NJDfan1711's initial assertion that "this team is young and should be full of energy," is wrong thinking. There's a reason the team looks exhausted: many of the players on the team have never been through the rigors of the NHL season, which involve having their wirey 175 lb frames smashed into on a nightly basis by 6'3 220 lb mountains of solid rock skating at them at 25 mph, and of late, constant long distance travel, and frequent back-to-back games.

That said, yes, 45 year-old Jaromir Jagr cannot play the same minutes he did when he was 40. Okay, extreme example but yes, up there at 35, 36, 37 years old, it becomes a lot harder to keep oneself in the shape of a 27 year old NHLer in his prime. 

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, what are we arguing about here? Rookies and other newer players simply do not have the level of conditioning that older players have, most of the time. Nor do they often have the size and muscle to bear the brunt of the physicality of the NHL for a full season as well as the older guys. The reason the difference between an NHL player and anyone else is so huge is that NHL players, as CR pointed out, play hockey for a living and have infinite time and resources dedicated to their improvement in such. Biologically speaking, sure there are some advantages to being younger (18-23 or so) in terms of injury recovery time and flexibility but that at 31 years old one would be having a hard time keeping up with the "kids" is not a sign of deterioration by age but of deterioration by not keeping oneself in shape, as many adults don't maintain proper diet and exercise throughout their 20s. That's not the case for most NHLers who have nutritionists, personal fitness coaches, all-day access to elite fitness facilities, and a job playing ice hockey for a living. 

NJDfan1711's initial assertion that "this team is young and should be full of energy," is wrong thinking. There's a reason the team looks exhausted: many of the players on the team have never been through the rigors of the NHL season, which involve having their wirey 175 lb frames smashed into on a nightly basis by 6'3 220 lb mountains of solid rock skating at them at 25 mph, and of late, constant long distance travel, and frequent back-to-back games.

That said, yes, 45 year-old Jaromir Jagr cannot play the same minutes he did when he was 40. Okay, extreme example but yes, up there at 35, 36, 37 years old, it becomes a lot harder to keep oneself in the shape of a 27 year old NHLer in his prime. 

Well i don't know about everyone else but personally all i was debating is that it's not because you're not playing in the NHL that you can't have an opinion on something based on your own experience.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i don't know about everyone else but personally all i was debating is that it's not because you're not playing in the NHL that you can't have an opinion on something based on your own experience.

Sorry, I replied to you but my quote was directed at everyone involved.

Generally speaking your assertion is correct and you can have an opinion based on your own experience, it's just unlikely to be a very good one in the case of relating to NHL players, as playing in the NHL is entirely different than just about anything else. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Sorry, I replied to you but my quote was directed at everyone involved.

Generally speaking your assertion is correct and you can have an opinion based on your own experience, it's just unlikely to be a very good one in the case of relating to NHL players, as playing in the NHL is entirely different than just about anything else. 

Well if were talking about "not being able to really understand the feelings of seeing your son lifting the cup" or "not understanding how hard you have to work to get to that level etc etc etc of course you can't fully understand. But you can still have a good idea of a few things. You just know it's your feeling x 1000 since it's on a way bigger stage.

19 hours ago, Triumph said:

I don't expect Vatanen to look comfortable for a long time, maybe even the season.  I've seen too many defensemen come in at the deadline and look like 'why'd we get this guy?'  

Vatanen definitely looks uncomfortable out there, I just can't tell if it's "What am I supposed to be doing?" or "What the fvck is everyone else doing?"