GDT - Devils @ Canadiens 12/14/17

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Steven M. said:

guess we're all watching different games if Vatanen has been "horrible." being universally praised for his game literally two nights ago but he's been horrible. Seems legit.

guess we're all so spoiled now that we're going to act like the whole team sucked when they went punch for punch with montreal while down half our top six.

The 5vs5 numbers weren't good tonight, but outside of getting pinned at times, I wasn't watching the game and ever thinking "Damn these guys are sucking!"  If anything, it felt like a second point was in their grasp...not that they should have gotten it, but I definitely didn't feel like the Devils were lucky to get a point tonight.

• Like 1

They are keeping pace in the division.  This team is going to be in this race, that's the exciting thing. Only 9 regulation losses, fewest in the division by 2.  Big homestand starts, take advantage of this part of the schedule.  You have to admit that this season is turning out to be a blast.  Important games with the weather turning into hockey weather.  Good stuff.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jersey Sure said:

They are keeping pace in the division.  This team is going to be in this race, that's the exciting thing. Only 9 regulation losses, fewest in the division by 2.  Big homestand starts, take advantage of this part of the schedule.  You have to admit that this season is turning out to be a blast.  Important games with the weather turning into hockey weather.  Good stuff.

Still haven’t got a prolonged look at a completely healthy roster either. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The 5vs5 numbers weren't good tonight, but outside of getting pinned at times, I wasn't watching the game and ever thinking "Damn these guys are sucking!"  If anything, it felt like a second point was in their grasp...not that they should have gotten it, but I definitely didn't feel like the Devils were lucky to get a point tonight.

It felt like a tale of three periods, the first being pretty even, the second being the Devils opportunity to pull away, the third being we're just hoping for a point. Considering the personnel we are missing it's kind of hard to fault that effort in a building (tough building) like that. I don't know, just not going to sh!t myself over a loss like this, have to think with just even one of those guys (preferably Hall) we probably pull that one out. Nico and Bratt were still flying but being dragged down by Stafford.

Stafford has been pretty fvcking ineffective for a while now. Don't really know where he fits if we ever ice a fully healthy lineup again.

• Like 1

Yeah, we've seen what Stafford's about...he's a guy who pretty much never buries his chances, and doesn't bring much else to the table.  Guy should have 6 or 7 goals by now...he's gotten some good looks.

Three key forwards out, some nights it's going to hurt.  

21 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

3. Yo SD; if that was you behind the Habs net about 4 rows deep wildly flailing your arms every time the puck was in the zone.... oh no baby what is you doin. 

Yo.

1) I live 10 hours away from MTL lol

2) Missed most of the game as i went to see Star Wars The Last Jedi instead

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

New jersey had way more dangerous scoring chances than MTL tonight. I actually thought they played pretty good. Considering we were missing 3 of our top forwards, we did good. Good road point considering the circumstances. I also hope we get Schneider in tomorrow. Don't wanna see Kinkaid again so soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, '7' said:

Latta will bring some toughness. WIll drop the gloves

Was a 3rd round pick at one point so you'd figure there is some talent there.

Bingo has been losing a LOT lately.  Feels like this move was more about trying to shake up the B-Devs a little, more than anything else. 

53 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So what was it? haha some dude acting weird with a Devils jersey on? 

Imagine a glass banger, but 4 rows up and did it every. Single. Play behind the net.

in NJ, itd be like those clowns who stand up and wave like an idiot to see themselves on the scoreboard while the game is actually on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Imagine a glass banger, but 4 rows up and did it every. Single. Play behind the net.

in NJ, itd be like those clowns who stand up and wave like an idiot to see themselves on the scoreboard while the game is actually on

hahahaha i'll have to go watch it on gamecenter when they put the game on

8 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

New jersey had way more dangerous scoring chances than MTL tonight. I actually thought they played pretty good. Considering we were missing 3 of our top forwards, we did good. Good road point considering the circumstances. I also hope we get Schneider in tomorrow. Don't wanna see Kinkaid again so soon.

two teams that have trouble getting the puck out or their ends, each team took turns dominating on offense once they got the puck in the OZ. we were burried the first 10 mins of that game and early in each period so its not surprising the metrics were favoring the habs.. after half the first I was like "please come back taylor" then the kids got their brains going

10 hours ago, Steven M. said:

guess we're all watching different games if Vatanen has been "horrible." being universally praised for his game literally two nights ago but he's been horrible. Seems legit.

guess we're all so spoiled now that we're going to act like the whole team sucked when they went punch for punch with montreal while down half our top six.

It is a product of people's expectations at this point. Come back down to earth people. I also am not sure what people expected out of Vatanen. I guess he was supposed to come in and just completely, and single handedly,  fix a D core that has blown all year lol. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is a product of people's expectations at this point. Come back down to earth people. I also am not sure what people expected out of Vatanen. I guess he was supposed to come in and just completely, and single handedly,  fix a D core that has blown all year lol. 

I think he has mostly been pretty effective at what they're trying to get him to do. I would also defer to some of the more analytics focused guys but from my "eye test" I don't believe he's going to rack up many points with the way he is being deployed. He is being used as a shutdown defenseman more so than he is being used for offense. I could be wrong but that's just what I've seen. So the facebook animals are going to only get more and more angry as the year goes on because it's much tougher to evaluate a player playing defense well than it is to just see that Henrique is racking up points while playing top six minutes in ANA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

I think he has mostly been pretty effective at what they're trying to get him to do. I would also defer to some of the more analytics focused guys but from my "eye test" I don't believe he's going to rack up many points with the way he is being deployed. He is being used as a shutdown defenseman more so than he is being used for offense. I could be wrong but that's just what I've seen. So the facebook animals are going to only get more and more angry as the year goes on because it's much tougher to evaluate a player playing defense well than it is to just see that Henrique is racking up points while playing top six minutes in ANA.

I said it somewhere a number of days ago...the mere fact this guy was the exchange for the fan favorite Henrique will alone put every single play he makes under intense scrutiny by fans. Some have already come to the conclusion he just completely sucks. I think it is called confirmation bias or something-- when a person only accounts for the things which support their current position. The old "I hit every single red light every time I swear it" thing, despite that not really being the case. They'll notice every little thing the dude does wrong and, short of scoring a goal, will ignore anything he does right. Just like with Moore, which I will say again, I have been impressed with over this stretch of last 10-12 games.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

Defensemen have a harder time with fans as it is because they make more 'mistakes' and more of their 'mistakes' end up in the back of the net.  This board has been around for 15 years in its present form and I can pretty confidently say that defensemen were the fan whipping boys far more often than forwards.  

Vatanen is playing on PP2 so he will get some points eventually and I like his aggressive pinches and that will get him a goal, but when is the last time Lou traded a fan-favorite type of player here?  Langenbrunner had worn out his welcome, no one really cottoned to Arnott part 2, Johnny Oduya I think people were pretty neutral on, it really could be back to 08 and Cam Janssen.  This fan base hasn't really had to deal with that in a long time - fan favorites leaving, sure, but not being dealt.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Defensemen have a harder time with fans as it is because they make more 'mistakes' and more of their 'mistakes' end up in the back of the net.  This board has been around for 15 years in its present form and I can pretty confidently say that defensemen were the fan whipping boys far more often than forwards.  

Vatanen is playing on PP2 so he will get some points eventually and I like his aggressive pinches and that will get him a goal, but when is the last time Lou traded a fan-favorite type of player here?  Langenbrunner had worn out his welcome, no one really cottoned to Arnott part 2, Johnny Oduya I think people were pretty neutral on, it really could be back to 08 and Cam Janssen.  This fan base hasn't really had to deal with that in a long time - fan favorites leaving, sure, but not being dealt.

Chris Terreri in 2001 perhaps? Wasn't exactly a gut punch trade though, but he was very well liked