Rico's Return

redruM

I tend to let the coaches do their thing without too much debate...that's why they get paid the big bucks after all, but Bratt on the 4th line and Gibbons on the 2nd seems odd to me. Bratt is a talented NHL player, he has played his off-wing before; he seems a more logical choice for the top-6 at this point in time. Hopefully I eat some crow on this one and I can go back to not nitpicking at Hynes' line combos, but I really want to see a win on Thursday against the team from across the river.

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

I tend to let the coaches do their thing without too much debate...that's why they get paid the big bucks after all, but Bratt on the 4th line and Gibbons on the 2nd seems odd to me. Bratt is a talented NHL player, he has played his off-wing before; he seems a more logical choice for the top-6 at this point in time. Hopefully I eat some crow on this one and I can go back to not nitpicking at Hynes' line combos, but I really want to see a win on Thursday against the team from across the river.

I never like when they take a 4th liner who is producing and try to move him up. Don’t mess with what’s working!!!

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I never like when they take a 4th liner who is producing and try to move him up. Don’t mess with what’s working!!!

I'm fine with not changing what is working, but Bratt is not a 4th line player. When MoJo gets back, they both need to be in the top 6. Keeping Coleman-Zajac-Gibbons together as a tough shutdown unit is great, but they cannot be expected to contribute offensively long term.

Edited by NLinfante

23 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

I'm fine with not changing what is working, but Bratt is not a 4th line player. When MoJo gets back, they both need to be in the top 6. Keeping Coleman-Zajac-Gibbons together as a tough shutdown unit is great, but they cannot be expected to contribute offensively long term.

I don't think there's a substantial difference between the 2nd line and the 4th line on this team.  According to Natural Stat Trick, the Devils highest ice time/game forward at 5 on 5 is Taylor Hall with 13:43/game.  Their lowest is Zacha at 10:31.  They roll 4 lines in almost all situations, and to me Boyle and Noesen are decent shooters who, while they may not be capable of finding Bratt a whole lot when they have the puck, they shouldn't have the puck a lot either - it's up to Bratt to distribute it to one of them.

So yeah, if Bratt ends up at 10 minutes this game, I'll be disappointed, but my guess is that he ends up around 13-15 minutes depending on how much special teams he plays.

18 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't think there's a substantial difference between the 2nd line and the 4th line on this team.  According to Natural Stat Trick, the Devils highest ice time/game forward at 5 on 5 is Taylor Hall with 13:43/game.  Their lowest is Zacha at 10:31.  They roll 4 lines in almost all situations, and to me Boyle and Noesen are decent shooters who, while they may not be capable of finding Bratt a whole lot when they have the puck, they shouldn't have the puck a lot either - it's up to Bratt to distribute it to one of them.

So yeah, if Bratt ends up at 10 minutes this game, I'll be disappointed, but my guess is that he ends up around 13-15 minutes depending on how much special teams he plays.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I don't really care about numbering lines 1-4, it just seems like SOP for fans and people around the game. Bratt has shown the kind of ability with the puck to warrant reasonable ice time, not "4th line" minutes. That's all.

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

I meant Gibbons. 

41 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I don't really care about numbering lines 1-4, it just seems like SOP for fans and people around the game. Bratt has shown the kind of ability with the puck to warrant reasonable ice time, not "4th line" minutes. That's all.

I suspect the Devils are limiting the rookies' ice time deliberately.  Bratt and Hischier are only getting around 16 minutes a game.

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I suspect the Devils are limiting the rookies' ice time deliberately.  Bratt and Hischier are only getting around 16 minutes a game.

Plus you give the kid a break from seeing top matchups. Have to manage the minutes and the confidence and mental state with teenagers.

4 hours ago, NLinfante said:

Sometimes all players need a wake up call. This is Hynes's attempt.