Sign in to follow this  
Martyisth3b3st

GDT: Ducks @ Devils: 12/18/2017 7:000PM

18 hours ago, Marshall said:

No, they're pretty bleak.

Thanks Marshall. 

Sometimes a preconception about a player can cloud a judgment about their current performance. I certainly had that with Lovejoy when he came back into the lineup and was performing adequately.

I liked Henrique because it felt like he was "one of us" , he enjoyed being a Devil and he was proud of the organisation. He had been drafted and come through the system and was making an impact. 

In many ways I think he was a lot of fans replacement for Parise. Certainly the female fans.....

That said I wouldn't have cheered his goal. A round of applause maybe , but I am not sure I could cheer anyone scoring against us. 

I still get a sneaking suspicion he will be back in Jersey one day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I liked Henrique because it felt like he was "one of us" , he enjoyed being a Devil and he was proud of the organisation. He had been drafted and come through the system and was making an impact. 

In many ways I think he was a lot of fans replacement for Parise. Certainly the female fans.....

That said I wouldn't have cheered his goal. A round of applause maybe , but I am not sure I could cheer anyone scoring against us. 

I still get a sneaking suspicion he will be back in Jersey one day. 

When were you thinking?  After next season (when his deal expires), or sometime further down the line?

I get the impression that he'd come back, but not really sure that the Devils will need him anytime soon. 

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When were you thinking?  After next season (when his deal expires), or sometime further down the line?

I get the impression that he'd come back, but not really sure that the Devils will need him anytime soon. 

I think a big part of it will be how he does in Anaheim and how much money he’ll be looking for. I’d bring him back depending what the deal was. 

I'd always bring Henrique back if/when the situation called for it -- he was a fine teammate, great guy off the ice, and a good producer on the ice -- but I also don't see that need arising in the near future.  It would have to be something like 5 years down the road when he would accept a reasonable deal, and perhaps we'd have an opening or two as our team goes through some continued changes.

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Just curious, what's the difference between a cheer and a round of applause to you?  For me they're essentially the same thing.  Whether I clap my hands, or yell and scream, to me I'm rooting for and celebrating whatever just happened on the ice.  When Henrique scored, I did neither.  Now, for him, and certain other guys I liked and that had a signifincat tenure with the Devils, do I crack a small smile or on the inside maybe think "Damn.  Good for him"?  Yeah maybe.  But the whole entire time I'm also thinking, feeling, and maybe even yelling "fvck!", because I'm a Devils fan, and I don't cheer or root for anyone playing against them.

• Like 1

Yeah, no way I could ever cheer for someone playing against the Devils. Kind of similar to how I couldn’t root for Marty (or any Devils players) during the Olympics against the U.S. 

I gave Adam a round of applause for the play he made and the goal.  As a hockey fan, that was an amazing effort and as a Henrique fan, a moment that probably meant a lot to him.  I've been pulling for the guy his entire NHL career and made a point to see this game in person.  I don't think that makes me any less of a Devils fan.

I don't think that was rooting for him to score as much as it was recognizing an incredible play.

PS Big up to @GrimePilot for hooking me up with tickets.  Thanks again, dude.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I don't think that was rooting for him to score as much as it was recognizing an incredible play.

I agree, and I'm definitely able to do that as well -- when it happened, I was definitely a little stunned because it was such a good move.  I absolutely love the game of hockey, and even when our beloved team isn't in the playoffs, I still watch many games during the post-season basically right up until and through the Cup finals, so I can and do appreciate when something amazing happens, be it a great goal or a great save, but again with that said, I was still pissed when Henrique scored, because it happened against us.  

33 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I gave Adam a round of applause for the play he made and the goal.  As a hockey fan, that was an amazing effort and as a Henrique fan, a moment that probably meant a lot to him.  I've been pulling for the guy his entire NHL career and made a point to see this game in person.  I don't think that makes me any less of a Devils fan.

If I were there, I would have given it my customary "smirk with an eyebrow raise", which signifies that a player on the other team has just done something special worth recognition, but that's the most reaction I will afford it.

As I was not there, I just did the same thing but on my couch. Because not only do I talk to the players when I am in the arena where I clearly can control gameplay, I also do it when watching on TV, when of course I can also control gameplay verbally. 

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I were there, I would have given it my customary "smirk with an eyebrow raise", which signifies that a player on the other team has just done something special worth recognition, but that's the most reaction I will afford it.

As I was not there, I just did the same thing but on my couch. Because not only do I talk to the players when I am in the arena where I clearly can control gameplay, I also do it when watching on TV, when of course I can also control gameplay verbally. 

Every time I do the bolded when I'm watching on TV (for some reason I yell at the TV a lot more during football and baseball games than hockey), I get the same complete calm reaction from my daughter:  "Daddy, you know they can't hear you." 

Oh but they CAN...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Every time I do the bolded when I'm watching on TV (for some reason I yell at the TV a lot more during football and baseball games than hockey), I get the same complete calm reaction from my daughter:  "Daddy, you know they can't hear you." 

Oh but they CAN...

They're just kids, what do they know??? lol

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They're just kids, what do they know??? lol

She's seen some classic tantrums.  The one I had when Noah Syndergaard was ejected from a game last season was epic, even by my standards.  My wife was most definitely not pleased with me about that one.  My daughter thinks my meltdowns are funny. 

• Like 1

She's seen some classic tantrums.  The one I had when Noah Syndergaard was ejected from a game last season was epic, even by my standards.  My wife was most definitely not pleased with me about that one.  My daughter thinks my meltdowns are funny. 

I lost my sh!t BIGLY during that Columbus game (the second of the home and home) a couple weeks back on that no-call when Hall got hauled down on a breakaway- no penalty, no penalty shot, nothing. That no-call was the final straw for me with the officials to that point, with how badly we seemingly had been getting screwed. I mean, I went OFF. Yelling, cursing, a wall punch- I was half-expecting my neighbors to knock on my door to make sure I wasn't about to burn the place down lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't see him coming back after his deal expires in 2019. But I just get the feeling he will be back at some point. I always thought that about Scott Gomez, that he just has a love for the franchise and would like to give it another go. 

6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Just curious, what's the difference between a cheer and a round of applause to you?  For me they're essentially the same thing.  Whether I clap my hands, or yell and scream, to me I'm rooting for and celebrating whatever just happened on the ice.  When Henrique scored, I did neither.  Now, for him, and certain other guys I liked and that had a signifincat tenure with the Devils, do I crack a small smile or on the inside maybe think "Damn.  Good for him"?  Yeah maybe.  But the whole entire time I'm also thinking, feeling, and maybe even yelling "fvck!", because I'm a Devils fan, and I don't cheer or root for anyone playing against them.

Just a small round of applause to show appreciation for a bit of skill. Kind of like a wry smile. Like " well that fvcking sucks but what a play". 

When I go and watch Chelsea play and an opposing player makes a good tackle or the keeper makes a great save I often clap in appreciation . It's like when someone beats you at a game with a good bit of skill, you see a lot of sportsmen do it. Like a tennis player tapping their racket after they get beaten by a great shot. 

Actually cheering to me indicates you are celebrating an event. Celebration and appreciation are two different things from my perspective. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

selfishly I was annoyed at Henrique when he scored the 3-1 goal. I will grant that was one hell of a goal Rico scored and I thought of fvcking course he does that when he starts playing against us so why didn't we see that more here. I do like the player and wish him well but not when he plays the Devils.