Oh No! We Suck Again!

Devils Pride 26

It's been tough to do since we're relevant for the first in years, but this team has a ton of issues. The defense is firmly below average and our 2-4 top scorers are 19,19 and 23 (3 rookies). They've gotten virtually nothing from guys like Zajac, Stafford and Zacha and guys like Gibbons and Boyle are producing well above their ability. My hope, aside from a cup win of course, is that they make the playoffs, and show well and draft a blue chip dman at 16-20. They need talented blue liners in the worst way.

22 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Man, you guys are harsh sometimes. Can’t say anything around here without getting jumped on...

No one's being harsh.  I'm not attacking anyone or name-calling.  Just being honest in my responses.

Here's another way to look at it:  At one point the Devils were 22-9-5.  They were on pace for about 112 points at that point.  Did you think that was going to continue?

The Devils had won five straight just before this six-game slide.  How much longer should the win streak have been? 

Even with this slump, the Devils are still 5-3-3 in their last 11.  That's a 97-point pace.  Basically, I could understand people getting nervous if, say, they Devils had gone winless in four or five games, then won a couple (with only one of the wins coming in regulation), then hit this slump.  Or if they were getting destroyed in the majority of these games.

My beef remains the same with the general reaction here to the Devils losing...it's almost as if they're not allowed to.  All it takes is 4-5 winless games and then seemingly everything is second-guessed, suddenly the players don't have heart and need to soul search, the coach has no idea what he's doing and guys like MB act like they've got everything figured out, the GM better make a deal soon, etc.  I just think it can be incredibly unfair and over-reactionary...here we have a younger team with some exciting players (some of whom who are babies in NHL years), that's been both entertaining and competitive, and that was bound to go through some rough spells...and as we've seen, all teams go through them.  The Caps were 2-5-1 and were outscored 19-32 in a bad stretch earlier this season.  It happens, and it would just be nice to see these things better kept in perspective. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one's being harsh.  I'm not attacking anyone or name-calling.  Just being honest in my responses.

Here's another way to look at it:  At one point the Devils were 22-9-5.  They were on pace for about 112 points at that point.  Did you think that was going to continue?

The Devils had won five straight just before this six-game slide.  How much longer should the win streak have been? 

Even with this slump, the Devils are still 5-3-3 in their last 11.  That's a 97-point pace.  Basically, I could understand people getting nervous if, say, they Devils had gone winless in four or five games, then won a couple (with only one of the wins coming in regulation), then hit this slump.  Or if they were getting destroyed in the majority of these games.

My beef remains the same with the general reaction here to the Devils losing...it's almost as if they're not allowed to.  All it takes is 4-5 winless games and then seemingly everything is second-guessed, suddenly the players don't have heart and need to soul search, the coach has no idea what he's doing and guys like MB act like they've got everything figured out, the GM better make a deal soon, etc.  I just think it can be incredibly unfair and over-reactionary...here we have a younger team with some exciting players (some of whom who are babies in NHL years), that's been both entertaining and competitive, and that was bound to go through some rough spells...and as we've seen, all teams go through them.  The Caps were 2-5-1 and were outscored 19-32 in a bad stretch earlier this season.  It happens, and it would just be nice to see these things better kept in perspective. 

Fair enough. Some good points being made. 

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well people having those knee-jerks reactions after a loss knowing that this team is year 3 into a long overdue rebuilt (and performing well above expectations) usually have one of these attributes... they are either clearly short-sighted, spoiled, emotionally unstable or entitled... or all of them really lol Not calling anyone out but if the hat fits.... 

It's like spoiled kids whining to their parents that their Christmas gifts suck, months after the family home burned down and that the parents really couldn't even afford gifts. Clear lack of understanding of the bigger picture lol

Edited by SterioDesign

Don't panic!!!! This is not last years team. Besides all I need for gratitude is the expectations of this team at the beginning of the year. This is not last years Devils!!!

After 1988 and our glorious playoff run, the years that followed many fans would say here we go again were going to suck! How wrong they were!

LGD!!!!!