Oh No! We Suck Again!

Devils Pride 26

There’s absolutely cause for concern. Can’t win on a consistent basis letting in 4-5 goals a night. They’re still scoring their fair share, which is a positive, but Cory and the defense needs to be better. Both the PP and PK need to improve as well. Hynes got them back on track once already this season, lets see if he can do it again. 

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Every team has their slump. We've been very lucky so far this season

True. 82 games is a really long season. It’s bound to happen, but you can’t let it get out of control. Thankfully they at least got 3 points out of the possible 12 during this 6 game losing streak. Don’t want this young team to get used to losing though. 

Edited by Nicomo

It's a slump.  Like all slumps, there's been some ugly and frustrating moments, but even at six games I can't panic about this just yet.  The Devils had managed to go through the first 36 games of the season without hitting a major slump, and we all know there are flaws...this was going to happen sooner or later.  But I don't think that it's the beginning of the end.  They will get past this, and I still believe that they do enough to get into the playoffs. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

There’s absolutely cause for concern. Can’t win on a consistent basis letting in 4-5 goals a night. They’re still scoring their fair share, which is a positive, but Cory and the defense needs to be better. Both the PP and PK need to improve as well. Hynes got them back on track once already this season, lets see if he can do it again. 

These are my concerns.  Also, would like to see Gibbons get it going again but I am afraid that was just an anomaly and where he is now is the norm.

55 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

These are my concerns.  Also, would like to see Gibbons get it going again but I am afraid that was just an anomaly and where he is now is the norm.

The Devils aren't going to continue to give up 4-5 goals per night though.  When you're in a slump, that can happen over a small sample, but not over 40 more games.  Schneider will pick it back up.

Everything pointed to Gibby not maintaining that early pace...a very high shooting% plus a low shot volume is always a recipe for regression.  The Devils are still a solid offense group though.  

As a board, many are really not good at handling adversity...when the Devils went 0-2-2 after the 9-2-0 start, out came the comparisons to last year's team.  At 0-3-3, I've seen that again, and now we're worrying about the kids getting too used to losing...after six games, where as MITB pointed out, it's not like the Devils' play has fallen off a cliff.  

Teams slump.  It happens.  It sucks and there's always going to be unsettling ugliness during one.  But there's enough talent here that it won't turn into some massive collapse.  They just have to get through this.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I say it in the last GDT, but I'd rather this slump happen now than in March.

Team has some soul searching to do.

Unfortunately now is when they start playing a ton of divisional games though. Bad timing for a slump. 

The Devils aren't going to continue to give up 4-5 goals per night though.  When you're in a slump, that can happen over a small sample, but not over 40 more games.  Schneider will pick it back up.
Everything pointed to Gibby not maintaining that early pace...a very high shooting% plus a low shot volume is always a recipe for regression.  The Devils are still a solid offense group though.  
As a board, many are really not good at handling adversity...when the Devils went 0-2-2 after the 9-2-0 start, out came the comparisons to last year's team.  At 0-3-3, I've seen that again, and now we're worrying about the kids getting too used to losing...after six games, where as MITB pointed out, it's not like the Devils' play has fallen off a cliff.  
Teams slump.  It happens.  It sucks and there's always going to be unsettling ugliness during one.  But there's enough talent here that it won't turn into some massive collapse.  They just have to get through this.

Well said CR. I'm so sick of the constant panic, sky is falling crap. Teams slump. The Flyers lost ten in a row earlier this year. Guess what... They're right in the thick of the race. Every team slumps. Part of sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

It alright to be upset.  However the over the top reactions and the pages-long continuation of such reactions are a bit much.

It's a funk.  They were bound to hit this sometime this season whether they were a playoff team or not.  In 2000-01 season before their 13 game winning streak they were 2-4-3-1 (W-L-T-OL) in their previous 10 games and were 3-5-3-3 in their previous 14.  It happens.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Im with Dog and CR on this.. its a bad slump.. of course we have issues on D.. cant fix everything over night  after a 4 game win streak we'll all come off the ledge

fringe PO team... and if we are falling out of the PO race in late feb.. i will start my tank thread :evil:

I’ll be happy with a single win right now. Just want that good feeling again. Seems like it’s been forever. That damn bye made this feel worse. 

Edited by Nicomo

11 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Im with Dog and CR on this.. its a bad slump.. of course we have issues on D.. cant fix everything over night  after a 4 game win streak we'll all come off the ledge

fringe PO team... and if we are falling out of the PO race in late feb.. i will start my tank thread :evil:

Its a  slump for sure.  And while I am not on the ledge per say, I hope they get a win or two soon to help their confidence, I think it is a little fragile right now.  We have a bunch of games in hand on teams like CBJ and Pitt.  I hope that we can capitalize on them and I will feel better.

Agree with everyone else - no reason to panic just yet.  Indeed it's been frustrating and disappointing lately, but if we can take advantage of the games we have in hand, we'll be fine.  I think the thing us fans want is a winning streak.  One that's significant.  The reason for that is because even though we have a good record still, we've compiled wins mostly by getting 2 here, and a loss there, 2 more wins here, then a loss there.  That's fine and all, and if you keep that up all season long generally you'll make the playoffs, but the problem is, when there's longer losing streaks sprinkled in the mix of that back-and-forth pattern, and no real long winning streaks to counter-act those losing streaks, then it just seems that much more bleak and disheartening.  Like I said, even if your team never goes on a significant run of 5-7+ wins or so in a row, you'll likely still make the playoffs if you keep up that type of winning percentage, but ideally you want to see them be able to sustain some type of elevated consistency.  The teams that generally excel in the playoffs and put together deep runs are those who get hot, and stay hot, for extended periods of time.  Despite the fact that we have a lot to be pleased with when it comes to this Devils team this year, and we're still quite a bit above 500 in terms of our overall record, we really haven't seen that type of elevated and consistent play from this team yet this year, and I think that is specifically what most of us fans are a little nervous about.  Time to turn it up Devils!