GDT: Caps @ Devils 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sometimes, you have a great day.

Watched my daughter sing with her choir.  Nothing more angelic than hearing a children's choir sing.

My dad is fully recovered from his prostate cancer treatment and his PSA is about as low as it can be.  Damned near ZERO.  A rough year for him has finally come to end.

Recorded the game and watched it in full with him. 

Taylor Hall...goddamn.  Guy is doing it all AND finishing.  Who knows if he can keep THIS up (guy is as hot as hot can be), but man it will be fun as hell to watch him try.

Hopefully some have learned that there is life after slumps...especially with THIS group, because these guys can score.  It's the low-scoring teams that you have to worry about, as far as that goes. 

Happy for KK and his snagging a couple of wins.

That’s a good day my man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just pointing out to the Vatanen haters that he and Henrique both have exactly 10 points since being traded (and Vatanen has played one less game). Vatanen has added a lot to our D, and the trade has not forced the Devils to sacrifice offense. Vatanen sure took some time to settle in, and I'm sure there's still some time left in the adjustment period, but the trade has only been looking better for NJ as time goes on.

• Like 6

BTW Vatanen now has 10 points in 20 GP with the Devils, and Henrique has the same number in 21 GP with the Ducks.  Vatanen with 9 points in his last 9 games.  Not mindin' that.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW Vatanen now has 10 points in 20 GP with the Devils, and Henrique has the same number in 21 GP with the Ducks.  Vatanen with 9 points in his last 9 games.  Not mindin' that.

And it goes without saying (though I’m saying it anyway), one would expect a forward to score more frequently than a defenseman. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

And it goes without saying (though I’m saying it anyway), one would expect a forward to score more frequently than a defenseman. 

It will probably turn out that way by season's end (Henrique is in a real slump point-wise at the moment...he'll snap out of it eventually), but considering how both players started off with their new teams, seems miraculous that they're now tied in points since being dealt for each other.

17 minutes ago, nessus said:

Just pointing out to the Vatanen haters that he and Henrique both have exactly 10 points since being traded (and Vatanen has played one less game). Vatanen has added a lot to our D, and the trade has not forced the Devils to sacrifice offense. Vatanen sure took some time to settle in, and I'm sure there's still some time left in the adjustment period, but the trade has only been looking better for NJ as time goes on.

@CarpathianForest

here’s your answer to the question you keep asking about what Vatanen brings...

• Like 3

6 game point streak for Hall. Longest as a Devil. He’s also only 6 points away from matching his points total from all last season with 38 games left. Whatever Shero said to him over the offseason damn sure worked. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 6

As of now, the Devils are 6 points up on the Islanders with 3 games in hand, plus they keep playing well - this team is not getting outshot every night anymore.  It's still possible, but it would be hard for the Devils to fall out of a playoff spot.

I think they caught a break that the Capitals were a bit rusty but the Capitals also dress several anchors that keep the puck in their own end.

22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

6 game point streak for Hall. Longest of his career. He’s also only 6 points away from matching his points total from all last season with 38 games left. Whatever Shero said to him over the offseason damn sure worked. 

They get along and understand each other. Negociations will be interestingly fun

Watched my daughter sing with her choir.  Nothing more angelic than hearing a children's choir sing.
My dad is fully recovered from his prostate cancer treatment and his PSA is about as low as it can be.  Damned near ZERO.  A rough year for him has finally come to end.
Taylor Hall...goddamn.  Guy is doing it all AND finishing.  Who knows if he can keep THIS up (guy is as hot as hot can be), but man it will be fun as hell to watch him try.
Hopefully some have learned that there is life after slumps...especially with THIS group, because these guys can score.  It's the low-scoring teams that you have to worry about, as far as that goes. 

That's awesome CR, glad to hear that about your dad. [emoji106][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's awesome CR, glad to hear that about your dad.

Thanks man (and everyone else)...it was a really tough year for him, and for this to finally be over is just an awesome feeling for all of us.  I remember first hearing the bad news, then having to explain it to my daughter (who instantly started bawling), then everything my dad had to go through to beat this thing (there were some setbacks, which led to delays in the radiation treatments and recovery schedule)...there were days where it felt like we'd never get to this point.  So to finally be here, for all of us...just no words.  Nothing but good feelings.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 8

2 points is 2 points.  I'm less concerned about catching the Caps and happier that this team keeps banking points and stays inside the top 3 and in a playoff spot.  It's so huge for the young guys to be playing in these meaningful games this late in the year,and it's just as important for Taylor Hall.  Thank heavens that these games now are all biggies, I'm not the biggest fan of the "let's keep sucking, get a top pick, add water, and we're a contender" re-build.  Ask Buffalo or Arizona how that's going.

I think one of the reasons you don't see Nico out to start OT with Hall is Nico's one are that needs to improve is in the faceoff circle.  Possession is important to start.  And Zacha has really improved in that area this year.  And he lost the opening draw last night.  But a big development is Zacha in general.  He's really playing well, now he needs to hit the scoresheet, and if that line now with Palms on it keeps going, that's coming.  Really good move on Hyne's' part keeping Wood and Zacha together and adding Palmieri.  

This team just needs to hold onto leads.  That's the next thing to fix.  But I give this staff credit.  They see an area that isn't performing, they go about fixing it.  Philly Saturday, this team should be sky high for that, especially after the awful game last week.  Get the point total into the 60's by the all-star break.  Boston and Nashville to finish it out, 2 tough teams.  Start this 4 game stretch with 2 in Philly. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Glad you're dad's OK.  That's a good day indeed.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jersey Sure said:

2 points is 2 points.  I'm less concerned about catching the Caps and happier that this team keeps banking points and stays inside the top 3 and in a playoff spot.  It's so huge for the young guys to be playing in these meaningful games this late in the year,and it's just as important for Taylor Hall.  Thank heavens that these games now are all biggies, I'm not the biggest fan of the "let's keep sucking, get a top pick, add water, and we're a contender" re-build.  Ask Buffalo or Arizona how that's going.

I think one of the reasons you don't see Nico out to start OT with Hall is Nico's one are that needs to improve is in the faceoff circle.  Possession is important to start.  And Zacha has really improved in that area this year.  And he lost the opening draw last night.  But a big development is Zacha in general.  He's really playing well, now he needs to hit the scoresheet, and if that line now with Palms on it keeps going, that's coming.  Really good move on Hyne's' part keeping Wood and Zacha together and adding Palmieri.  

This team just needs to hold onto leads.  That's the next thing to fix.  But I give this staff credit.  They see an area that isn't performing, they go about fixing it.  Philly Saturday, this team should be sky high for that, especially after the awful game last week.  Get the point total into the 60's by the all-star break.  Boston and Nashville to finish it out, 2 tough teams.  Start this 4 game stretch with 2 in Philly. 

That's the kind of thing that a younger team will struggle with...the Devils could probably still use some personnel upgrades in some spots as well.  I don't think this is a finished product by any means (but clearly tremendous progress has been made...just beating two thorn-in-the-side teams in the last two games to snap a six-game winless streak speaks volumes to that).

Hynes has done a terrific job this season, especially with establishing accountability.  He sits guys, he calls them out, and he doesn't care who's making what.  He's done that about as well as a coach can. 

And it's so damned nice when you can SCORE FRIGGIN' GOALS...it just makes it so much easier to bank points...you have margin for error.  You can squeeze a point out of a game where you're outplayed, but have enough guys who can find the net that you don't always need a ton of good opportunities to score 2 or 3 (or your goalie to constantly steal games).  This team is almost a lock to score at least two goals most nights...that is HUGE.  This team has been held to one goal or less in just five out of 44 games this season.  THAT'S why I don't worry that much when this team slumps...when you're scoring 2, 3, or 4 a lot of nights (and sometimes even more), and you're getting solid goaltending (and for the most part, the Devils have despite Cory's recent skid), you're going to bank your share of points, and you're only going to be in a slump for so long. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Zacha has looked much better the last few weeks but last night I really though he was using his size more and winning board battles much better than we've seen.   Hopefully he starts consistently getting on the score sheet soon but regardless, he does seem to be making significant progress.   I'm also ready to see him on the PP in place of Zajac now that he's winning faceoffs.     

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's really awesome to hear!  Always great to hear a happy ending after a long stretch of going through some really tough times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1