Warning

msweet

My one addendum is that people aren't starting Trade Niedermayer threads every day, it just happens to come out of every discussion.  I'll try to stop, but it's so tempting, heh.

I think creating trade-based threads is fine, so long as it's not every day and that people don't take it incredibly personally. Yes, your favorite player might be the subject of the trade thread, but it's just a topic up for discussion; it's not as if we actually have the power to make this trade happen, or even that Lou will read this board and think to himself, "Hey, that's a great deal..." (although I'm not sure if I'd be thrilled or frightened to learn that Lou Lams was reading the posts on this board :blink: ).

Trade threads just have to be taken with a grain of salt -- or an entire shaker's worth, in some cases. As long as posters bear that in mind and actually discuss why a player would or would not be traded, and keep it relevant to the topic at hand, then... well... it's all good.

:soap: Woopsies. I'll be stepping down now.

It's the personal digs and insults that is making it bad. It's more than apparent who does not like whom on this board. People are not being shown respect for their opinions.

I will agree that some of the trade threads are a bit much. If one of those poor slobs doesn't have a + night, the next day it's "Trade him! Who can we get for him!"

You want to get to the point where people need to be suspended and banned? You want it to get to the point where no one wants to post anymore??? Other boards have gone under, and this one has the potential if some of you don't shut your mouths and learn a thing or two.

RD is right. I think people already stay away from the board whever it gets out of hand. That doesn't benefit anyone. This is a great place to talk about hockey, voice opinions, and listen to other's thoughts.

The sad part is, there are a small percentage of posters who are the "trouble-makers". Most of the out of control threads usually involve these same people. And these threads tend to bring the worst out of the posters that are normally well behaved.

I agree that the trouble-makers should be punished (banned, suspended, whatever), but everyone else needs to exercise self control when these people post their usual garbage.

There's something about this place that reminds me of what the Devils' locker room became last year and there's something about the admins' new zero-tolerance policy that reminds me of Lou putting his foot down last year and getting rid of the high-maintenance guys and hiring a disciplinarian coach this offseason. :lol:

Seriously I don't mind fair standards. I used to cringe when the posters on the AOL board whined about the 'Board Monitor Nazis' and really those monitors were too permissive, if anything. One of the many reasons I like this board far more than AOL is precisely because the monitors have cut off a lot of threads before they had a chance to turn bad and disciplined some posters that have gotten particularly out of line. And yet people have still taken advantage of the leniency that has been shown.

For those of you that would argue this is about freedom of speech, that's nonsense. This is a quasi-private/quasi-public board run by people who spend their time AND money to put together a (as insanity I think said) professional site to talk hockey and occasional other things. Nobody's trying to stifle freedom of speech, but seriously does anyone really believe that personal insults or overANALysis add anything essential to the board? If you have a valid point you shouldn't need insults to make it. And we really don't need to rehash the same old debates 500 times either. That is pointless too.

With all of the bad vibes around here recently, I have to say still like this board in spite of the constant ANALysis of everything and everyone involved with the Devils, in spite of the needless public personality conflicts. There are a lot of good posters here, and there's a lot of good discussion here about a lot of different things, Devils and otherwise. Unfortunately the few bad apples and the unneccesary/bad threads tend to overshadow that much of the time.

Forgive me if I sound preachy but I had to say this before a complete meltdown occured here.

i haven't been posting as often recently and sure there are other reasons why but the main reason is all the negativity going on on this board. honestly we could win 15-0 and "a certain person*" would still have a million problems with the game; i'll never understand it, ever. whenever i read what he posts it just depresses me... i'm sorry but that's not what being a FAN is about to me, call me crazy.

i was actually thinking about it the other day at the phailures-craps game. the kids at the arena are so into the game. their entire happiness is based on the game. if the caps are winning, they're happy. if the caps are losing, well, there's always next time. sure it's simple but pardon me for liking that logic as a fan. pardon me for enjoying the devils winning and not enjoying them losing BUT CONCENTRATING on next time... sure sometimes there's not a next time BUT WE'RE ONLY 12 GAMES IN HERE PEOPLE!!! we're about 1/7th of the way from the playoffs and guess what - if the playoffs were to start right now, WE'D BE IN! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't stand this negativity!!!

if you're going to try to look for faults with the team, you'll surely find them - i'm not trying to deny that. but at the same time, if you're looking for good things about the team, YOU'LL SURELY FIND THEM TOO! i don't get why you would want to look for the bad in the situation when you could just as easily look for the good... call me a homer. i call myself a fan.

almost every time i sign on i contemplate stopping posting for good, making something else my home page, and being a "homer" by my lonesome. i don't want to do that but certain posters that post like 15 messages a day about how much the devils suck make it hard to bear staying here.

that's enough of my rant for now.

* i refrained from pointing fingers, i'm learning.

Stay here, Sheepy :evil:

I agree about the kids--PK's little bunny will be like that ( ;) ) They get so excited over everything (eh, sometimes too much....). The basic joys of being a fan :wub: I know some of my coworkers are afraid to be near me after a loss--especially at playoff time! (woo wee!)

Yes, it is taking sooooo much out of me to single out a certain person right now for his/her actions but I will refrain since that is the right thing to do.

Would be nice to see all the negative be kept down since this team is over .500 by 4 games with games in hand on every team in the league.

Go Devils!

The board is alive but we have begun noticing a decline in membership and even repeat visitors. To me that is troubling, I spent a lot of time on this place and to have certain posters think they can have fun toying with other members of my site just pisses me off. I am an easy going person, as are the other administrators. I cannot stand issuing non-stop administration messages, it detracts from the hockey discussions and wastes what little time the volunteer staff has. A point has been drawn in the sand and several people have their leg in the air ready to step over it. So this is your warning.

Redrum created the old board to get away from the lawlessness and meaningless discussions at NJO. Red's board was great and developed a great core of people and I wanted to build on that. I wanted new people to join for fresh points of views. We have tripled that great core group. Unfortunately some people think starting threads for the sole reason to start a fight is killing my enthusiasm for this site.

I have even contemplated going to a private board and just inviting the people who can hold a decent hockey discussion. But I know all closed communities eventually die out which is why I have resisted so far. But I am getting damn tempted.

Being negative after a loss or a bad event is fine, this is after all a spectator sport. But if you post 80% negative you need to get off our boards because we are just not appreciating you anymore old or new, nobody is immune to this.

Actually DM, a private board isn't a bad idea.

There are plenty of gracious hard-core hockey enthusiasts on this board that would continue to post indefinitely in such a forum.

When the day comes, please be sure to invite the SBT.

Sheeps, this board desperately needs your optimism. Please stay. I too don't understand why people are fans when they are so negative, but so be it..

I just think everyone needs to lay off posting on their ideas.. whether it's #89, Brodeur, Holik, Niedermayer, the same debates come up because the same posters start the same arguments..and yes, I'm just as guilty..

Closed communities don't always die out though, the network54 board was fairly closed except for people that were plucked out of NJO.. I think there's a good enough stable of posters here to last a long time.. but just my opinion.

Keep up the good work, admins.

Yup SBT.

The mckeenshockey forums are a closed community, basically.. they were an offshoot from the SLAM boards and were created around 98.. I still remember my first post there.. Holik for Mogilny.. so it's been a while.. and it's been basically the same 20 or so people for the last 3 years..

It's not as good as it once was, but there are still very interesting and very knowledgeable posters there. The only problem I have with those boards is that only about half the teams in the NHL have fans posting regularly.. but with a board for fans of only one team, that's not a problem.

perhaps make hell completely uncensored - COMPLETELY - and make a "Private Hell" or something for whoever dm wants... [me me me!!! just kidding.]

might create some problems, people complaing that they're left out, etc. i'd make it only for the regulars, old-timers [not age, but time joined, including the old forums], and anybody with over 50 posts that impresses you.

as always, dm rules. no question about it. i'll abide by whatever he wants.