Are we "entitled" to hockey?

KitKatTGM

"The 'fan' is a telephone worker, a transit worker, a power-company worker, a steelworker, a teacher, whatever. He has never given up the right to strike and often does [yes, I know this is really a lockout]. When he does, the public is inconvenienced and sometimes the public health and safety are threatened. When a ballplayer strikes, the effect upon the public health and safety is nil. Nor is public convenience disturbed, for that matter. Yet the ballplayer and the owner are called upon to each give up their individual bargaining rights because the 'fan' wants baseball and 'is entitled to get it.'"

What do you think of this quote? Do you think that we are really "entitled" to hockey? :noclue:

I remember working at Kmart selling shoes and we were doing renovations by freelance electrical workers. Non unionized. There was a HUGE demonstration outside blocking customers from getting in - unionized electrical workers who claim they should have been given the contract. Anyhow, the details were fuzzy and I never got the full story. I wasn't interested. I said in the lunch room: "Look, I'm all for workers wanting a fair shake in life. I'm all for people demanding more from their employers if the employer is making lots of profit. But I will not aide those that make more than I to make far more than I. Maybe when they stand up on MY picket line I'll change my mind."

Here I was making minimum wage being asked to have sympathy for a unionized electrician who makes upward of $30/hr. Like, uh, no....

You can't compare this to a telephone worker. Telephone workers barely are able to get their kids into college. NHL players need $400 a month for dog food.

Just in this particular example Don -- a unionized electrician makes that much IF he works. He probably works about 6 months a year -- that makes it all the more crucial that big corporations use union employees as opposed to non-union (not to mention more than likely less skilled - thus less safe) non-union electricians. This is what unions are supposed to do. As far as I can see the NHLPA really isn't serving the interests of it's entire constituancy in terms of quality of life.

AS far as entitlement goes -- how the hell do I know :noclue: if sports serve no urgent purpose to society than are athletes entitled to make astronomical salaries? If the response is YES if fans are willing to shell out bucks to see them, well then it stands to reason they must be offering something of value... I mean if we aren't entitled than where is the justification for their vocation's existance? I think it's s dumb quote basically :evil: The fans created the demand and pay the salary. The players can quit and not make money - fine... I mean whatever - it's stupid.

PK: Now that I make more than the electrician, I can see the point of view. My point was that I don't think too many of them cared that we would illegally work 16 hour shifts at minimum wage and they got cheap sneakers out of it. And I didn't care too much for them complaining about the lower wages when I'm making rock bottom for carrying 40kg of boxes back and forth.

It's very hard to sympathize with someone going on strike for monetary reasons when they already make a sh!tload more money than you.

It's very hard to sympathize with someone going on strike for monetary reasons when they already make a sh!tload more money than you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree totally, I have not ounce ouce of $ympathy for the players, its the hot dog vendors, the Marketing, Sales, PR, and concession workers at the arenas, the restaurants around certian rinks that will lose $ because of this and who knows, may cost some jobs there too...there is TOO much ink devoted to the players and not enough on the people that will lose their job who barely get by

I read an article that Alexei Zhitnik now has nothing because he isnt signed....I dont shead a tear for that pinhead, hes made more $ then Ill ever see in my lifetime

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner

Just in this particular example Don -- a unionized electrician makes that much IF he works. He probably works about 6 months a year ...

Valid point about working six months out of the year, Pepperkorn ... most folks go through life believing that I.B.E.W. stands for "International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers" when in reality, it's an acronym for "I'm Broke Every Winter"