Scott Niedermayer

Shorthander

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's bagged a couple of points lately, but this guy could play a top line winger and score a lot of points if he applied himself. He doesn't on a regular basis and is STILL real good, unfortunately.

I don't think he has been real good this yr.

In the past few games he's been horrible.

;)

If Zyuzin was still around, I would have said there was a better than average chance that Nieder would be gone this year. All the signs are there that he'd be traded - heading towards unrestricted free agency, two offensive defensemen already on the team are outplaying him, already counts close to $4 million in payroll, and the Devs are not getting value for that salary.

But the lack of a good option to replace him probably keeps him in a Devils sweater for the rest of the year.

Sadly, I think we'll be waiting until the trade deadline to find out. The only other way it'll happen is if we go on a multi-game losing streak with poor goal output. Then Lou may be prompted to find a scorer sooner. Otherwise, we wait.

Nieds + for Kovalev? We can only hope.

Ah, Z-Man.. I thought that way once too.

Think about it from the other team's perspective, though.

They are going to add at least 22, probably more like 27-28 minutes to their defense.

How many teams can both add 28 minutes to their defense, and have a forward they can afford to lose? None. No one can add 28 minutes to their defense and not have an extra defenseman that was on the 2nd pairing but is being kicked down to the third unnecessarily. So, the Devils would get whoever that defenseman happens to be.

Niedermayer for Kovalev would never, ever work. Kov's a UFA at the end of this year, Kov is not a Lou player, and Kovalev is not a household name.

Don't forget Niedermayer's contract holdouts.. and there's no way Lou's going to offer him anything more than a 10% increase on his next deal unless he has an outstanding 65 games + playoffs.

Ah, Z-Man.. I thought that way once too.

Think about it from the other team's perspective, though.

They are going to add at least 22, probably more like 27-28 minutes to their defense.

How many teams can both add 28 minutes to their defense, and have a forward they can afford to lose? None. No one can add 28 minutes to their defense and not have an extra defenseman that was on the 2nd pairing but is being kicked down to the third unnecessarily. So, the Devils would get whoever that defenseman happens to be.

I'm sure if there was a team that had a serious need for a defenseman, they would part with a forward to get Nieder. What if Chelios or Lidstrom went down with a season ending injury? You don't think that the Red Wings would be willing to give up a forward in exchange for Nieder if he was available?

I do agree that if Nieder was dealt, part of the deal coming back to NJ would have to be a defenseman....probably in the scenario you described. Someone who would lose ice time when Nieder was traded.

Not for Niedermayer, they wouldn't.

They'd give up a forward in an emergency for a UFA defenseman on a poor team.

Unless they were giving up Datysuk or Zetterberg, two prospects who I find overrated anyway, they're not going to be able to acquire a player of Niedermayer's caliber. All of their forwards are either too old, grinders, or prospects that are "untouchable". Detroit has always been a bad team to trade with, and I can't think of the last time they made a major deal involving roster players that was in any way equitable.

No one on Boston interests me in a Niedermayer deal.. guys like Huml or Hilbert probably will be good players, but the Devs can't afford to gamble.

Once again, the B's would be forced to add 27 minutes to their defense without giving up a roster defenseman..

I would have thought that the B's would've loved Niedermayer in the offseason, but with the way Berard and Girard have fit in there, forget it.

I don't like Jillson, but I'd take Stuart..

No way Stuart gets moved since he signed his contract. He's a great young defenseman with loads of talent. Had he remained a holdout, I could have seen him being dealt. Now, though, I really doubt the Sharks will part with him unless they can absolutely steal someone big-time (and Nieds doesn't fit that equation)

But were we able to acquire him, I'd love it. :) Stuart, Hale, Martin, DeMarchi, Tverdovsky, Rafalski, Kadeykin, White... yikes that'd be formidable in a few years, eh?

Turgeon's too damn old. I'm done trading with the Stars, anyway! If not for Langenbrunner, we'd all be screaming for heads right now.

I think a trade with either the Pens (Kovy) or the Leafs may be our best bet. Sending Nieds to the Leafs is mean, but, hey, this is bidniz.

Turgeon? He has a no trade clause and the last time we saw him in the playoffs he was taking a silly retaliation penalty late in a 3rd period. Plus he's soft. I'll pass.

I thought about the Stars but the player on there that's most available is Arnott.. and while that would be interesting, I don't think we need to go there again.

I'd think that if Niedermayer were coming, Zubov or Sydor would be going the other way.. which doesn't make sense for either team.

As for Stuart, Sturm is not an exceptional player by any means. In fact, he's rather average. I think the Sharks would give up Stuart for a chance at the Cup this year.. they'd better act fast before Damphousse becomes even more a pedestrian 1st line center than he is now.

Turgeon? Good god no. He has a no trade clause and the last time we saw him in the playoffs he was taking a silly retaliation penalty late in a 3rd period.

I thought about the Stars but the player on there that's most available is Arnott.. and while that would be interesting, I don't think we need to go there again.

I'd think that if Niedermayer were coming, Zubov or Sydor would be going the other way.

i was trying to think of a contender that needs a "reputed" Offensive D-Man. The Stars seem to be that team.

Arnie crossed my mind..............

Insanity, there is absolutely NOTHING stopping San Jose from dealing Stuart. That contract he signed makes him tradable, if anything. Three years for a reasonable amount of money. But you have a good point, he has loads of talent and San Jose will probably keep him....unless they feel they need a veteran to help them win NOW. Who knows?

Triumph, I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking regarding Niedermayer because of what everyone's been talking about since Day 1