Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don

10 posts in this topic

When I'm browsing a thread, sometimes I see my avatar.

Other times I see the magic red X and a box about the size of an avatar.

Other times I just see my name with no avatar.

Do I have something set wrong? Do others see it and it is just my browser?

As of right now, I don't see any avatar for you...did you delete it? I can try to check out what's going on but I'll need to know that first.

No, I didn't delete it.

But if I go into "Avatar options", I get the red X. Hrm. And I don't have it anymore. Is there any way of getting it back?

I suppose I can get it from the cache on my machine at work....

Hrmm...lemme go into the CP and see what's up. Can I have a link to the image you want your avatar to be or was it uploaded from your computer?

Don, I checked it out, and something isn't translating correctly. Here's the response I got when I tried to access your avatar:

/forums/uploads/av-392.jpg Is not available.

So, if you have an image of the avatar on your computer, PM it to me and I can just upload it myself and see what happens.

Hrmm...lemme go into the CP and see what's up. Can I have a link to the image you want your avatar to be or was it uploaded from your computer?

Uploaded. Because I had this problem a while back with one of the Canadian flags that I put up during international tournaments.... the fellow with the web page nicely took his site down. So I rather upload them than count on someone leaving their page up in perpetuity.

*sigh* It's bad enought that Bob Goodenow destroyed this years hockey season, but NOW he's going around deleting avatars. Rat bastard. :P

I have thwarted Bob and re-found my avatar over on the Flames board. I shall keep it on my desktop until a settlement is reached.

Edited by Don

better to host the image yourself or upload it here. You take a real chance that the image owner changes it to something unsavory.

Well as I said at 6:51, from now on I'm uploading them. Though that is a good point that someone could change it, I now upload because people often take down or move their site entirely.

Or people sometimes delete the images that are no longer being used because they notice in the site logs the file is being used on other sites without them asking first and it's taking up bandwidth! :rant:

Sorry... had someone steal a ton of Marty Brodeur videos the other day, put the actual videos on a site so when anyone visits their page, every video on Brodeur is downloaded from my site.

:angry: Needless to say, I saw a huge spike in bandwidth.

:evil: