NHL TO KANSAS CITY?

Devs82-83

The city of KC is building a brand new downtown arena (The Sprint Center) which will open its doors in time for the 2007 season.

The city sez - as do those who are building the facility, that there will be an anchor tennent in place by the time the doors open - be it an NHL OR and NBA franchise.

If you had to look into your own personal crystal ball...what NHL team will relocate to Kansas City within the next two (2) years?

My guess: The Kansas City Penguins.

Well, they won't be called the Ducks for much longer, thank god...

KC is not a hockey market and doesn't deserve a franchise, there is really nowhere new to put a team, but there are 3 markets which lost franchises in the 90's that could support one. Portland comes up in discussions, I think Seattle should get a chance before them though, they might be too close to Vancouver though.

Well, they won't be called the Ducks for much longer, thank god...

KC is not a hockey market and doesn't deserve a franchise, there is really nowhere new to put a team, but there are 3 markets which lost franchises in the 90's that could support one. Portland comes up in discussions, I think Seattle should get a chance before them though, they might be too close to Vancouver though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel like Seattle could support a team. Just get Microsoft to buy a few luxury boxes and you're golden.

The new owners of the Ducks are not going to move them---they own the arena.

They said that Colorado couldn't support hockey either... and California for that matter. It would really suck if the Pens moved because they have great fans and I could see a good rivalry against Columbus (if the NHL marketed this right).

But I can't see how Mario/Pens can survive economically in Pittsburgh without the support of the city. KC at least shows support.

Colorado can support *winning* hockey. We'll see how well they draw when the Avs miss the playoffs for a few years in a row. Something tells me it won't be pretty.

Seattle does not have a proper building for the NHL. The Key Arena (where the Sonics and T-Birds (WHL)) play is not a hockey building and would need massive upgrades to become an NHL-calibre rink.

I think Portland would be a better choice between the two since the Rose Garden is a good hockey building and the Winterhawks outdraw the T-Birds by a wide wide margin.

I was wearing my Blue & Gold Perreault jersey yesterday.

Sabres are not moving.  Thankfully.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have mixed feeling about seeing the Sabres leave Buffalo, and Ive been a Sabres fan since 1982.

Part of me says no, part of me says yes and let these people up there save there $ from this so called professional hockey league.