Gomez at Titans game!

MantaRay

My brother and his son made their way around security at the Trenton game last night and meet Scott Gomez in front of one of the owners boxes.

He was really a nice person and he signed autograph's for them. My brother asked him about his injury and he said that if Alaska advanced to the next series he could play, but "Lou told him he was done with the Aces".

... and on the 8th day God created Lou Lamoriello :D

smart move.. no need to ruin his career for an irrelevant championship.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah his dad was on a radio show here and he said Scott wasn't gonna play for the Aces anymore the radio show guy said he heard a rumor about Lou calling and said he couldn't play for the Aces anymore. I don't see Scott very much but I think that is a good sign that he is healing well because that is a pretty long trip I would say it's 9 hours +

... and on the 8th day God created Lou Lamoriello :D

smart move.. no need to ruin his career for an irrelevant championship.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah his dad was on a radio show here and he said Scott wasn't gonna play for the Aces anymore the radio show guy said he heard a rumor about Lou calling and said he couldn't play for the Aces anymore. I don't see Scott very much but I think that is a good sign that he is healing well because that is a pretty long trip I would say it's 9 hours +

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's stupid. This injury or any other injury could happen while he is playing for the Devils. Gomez should be able to play for the Aces even though he is taking some elses job.

However, due to the lockout, he has no control over Scott Gomez. Any attempt on Lou's part to coerce Gomez into staying away from the Aces if his injury is indeed less severe than we've been led to believe could be jumped upon by the NHLPA.

Article about Gomer returning to Jersey:

http://www.adn.com/sports/aces/story/6474453p-6354561c.html

Gomez's return to New Jersey is bittersweet

BUM DEAL: Injured Ace had been hoping to play against Titans.

By ADAM KIMELMAN

Trenton (N.J.) Times

Published: May 10th, 2005

Last Modified: May 10th, 2005 at 05:20 AM

TRENTON, N.J. -- Even though he won't be able to get on the ice for a minimum of four more weeks as he recuperates from his injury, Alaska Aces MVP Scott Gomez attracted several New Jersey reporters used to seeing him in a Devils uniform as he accompanied the team to Trenton for three games in their best-of-7 National Conference finals.

Playing for his hometown Alaska Aces has been a good experience, he said, even if it took some getting used to. Gomez posted league-highs with 73 assists and 86 points, and was named league MVP.

"The hockey is just amazing," he said. "There's a few guys here I think that have a shot to play in the NHL."

Most important, he said, was the chance to play in his hometown.

"I wanted to give back to where I'm from, wanted to give back to my community," he said. "I didn't even really look at it as what did the league have to offer me."

The grind of playing in the ECHL shocked him at first. Maybe it was the three-games-in-three-nights sets. Or the long bus rides. Or the road trips that started with a three-hour flight from Anchorage to Seattle, then took off from there.

"The guys back in Jersey definitely can't call me a silver-spooner anymore," Gomez said with a chuckle.

His welcome-to-the-ECHL moment, it came in the season's opening series, a three-day weekend home set with San Diego.

"My first thought was no way are they going to make me play Sunday," Gomez said, chortling, "but that's when I figured I was one of the boys."

He played that third night, then embarked on one of the Aces' grueling road trips.

"The first road trip, we leave on Monday at 6 in the morning, we fly to Seattle, then we fly to Los Angeles. The bus was about two hours late, then it was 2 1/2, 3 1/2 hours to Bakersfield, we play the next day, get absolutely killed.

"Then we go down to San Diego (236 miles, by bus), play that night, bus back up to Fresno (341 miles), play two games there, then bus to Vegas (391 miles), stay there for three days, bus to Long Beach (276 miles)."

Gomez got worn out just telling the story.

"I think Dano (former teammate Ken Daneyko) called me, and I'm in shock. I said, 'I don't know if I did the right thing.' "

But months later, Gomez can laugh while recounting the story. He said even the times like when the team stayed at a Holiday Inn in Fresno and the players were advised not to stray too far from the grounds, were fun in their own special way.

As if missing out on the playoffs wasn't enough, Gomez said he had been hoping to play against the Titans all season.

"It was disappointing especially because we're playing Trenton. Even during the year, I was praying we'd be playing in Jersey."

Where he goes next is unknown. With NHL labor talks moving at a glacial pace, Gomez said he has options, including a return to the Aces, but Alaska fans shouldn't get their hopes up.

"Hopefully the NHL will be back, and that decision will be made for me," he said. "But this could have been a one-and-done thing for me."