Damn Yankees

devspage

I sure do miss the days when players stayed pretty much with one team. Those were real *teams*, and it's hard to feel that way about teams anymore. I loved the '70s Cowboys and could name off every starter, & probably all the back-ups. I could only name 2 or 3 of them these days, and I don't care.

I've always been a Texas Ranger fan (I know, I know) but baseball's been a revolving door for 10+ years now. You never know who's going to be there from one year to the next. And management isn't even trying to re-sign Pudge, who showed great loyalty to this club the last time his free agency came around. The fans all love him, but that means nothing anymore.

:(

I was the regular writer in Port Charlotte when many of the Rangers crop came through there.

Pudge was sooooo young, then. It's so bizarre to hear stuff about him now. Going to Japan seems so wrong. It's amazing that no one wants to take the chance on him and that he's even considering that.

Well after signing "Godzilla", they needed to get rid of 1 outfielder...and it sure as hell wasn't going to be Bernie.

Anywho, I liked Shaney as well. I REALLY liked Tino and was sad when he wasn't sign but Giambi is a fine replacement.

THEY NEED ANOTHER PITCHER THO!! Sucks that Glavine went to the Mets and Maddux is going to stay with the Braves.

I don't think Giambi is a fine replacement at all.

The Yankees paid WAYYYY too much for him. Got even less out of it in the postseason and lost a clubhouse leader, standup guy and proven playoff performer to boot. Way to reward the guy who worked hard for you and kept the series going last year with what I think will be my most memorable HR ever.

It's tough being a Yankee fan in the buying spree times. The players I like have always... and will always be the talent they nurture (who then does deserve their money) Jeter, Williams, Soriano and the journeyman guys like Paulie and Tino. That's who keeps me around, not Jason freakin' Giambi.

I was the regular writer in Port Charlotte when many of the Rangers crop came through there.Pudge was sooooo young, then.

How cool! Did you cover Spring Training or their minor league team, or both? Pudge was only 19 when he came up to the majors. Got married in the afternoon and started for the Rangers that night. I remember that game and how young he was and what an incredible arm he had!

It's so bizarre to hear stuff about him now. Going to Japan seems so wrong. It's amazing that no one wants to take the chance on him and that he's even considering that.

It would be so sad, and so wrong for someone like him to have to go to Japan to continue his career. But I guess his desire to play is so strong that he's willing to do anything. Somebody please sign Pudge!

I covered spring training for the Cardinals -- one year was the year after he broke the HR record and that was a freakin' circus!

And I covered the Rangers minor league team when I was out there. But like I say, all the guys that were on that team have pretty much worked their way to the majors.

I remember him getting married and starting too. :)

I was a big Rusty Greer supporter back when he was with them, so I hope his career isn't over. But with all those surgeries, it don't look too good.