When did Marty change his anthem ritual?

Lady Stanley

I don't have season tickets and only attend about 3-6 Devils games throughout the year. In all the YEARS I've been a fan, I've always enjoyed watching Marty do his little ritual during the Star Spangled Banner. As most of you know, when the song gets to the part "and the land of the free....." Marty taps his goal stick on his left leg, right leg. and then behind his right leg, before the song continues "and the home of the brave."

I went to one game back in October and he performed his ritual. but when I went to the game this past Thursday, HE DIDN'T DO IT!

After the game, we asked Doc and Chico about it. Chico said "Yeah, I noticed that too! I'll have to ask him about it!"

We weren't able to catch the game tonight, so maybe this was answered on the pregame show or between periods.

Does anybody know when Marty stopped? Was it when he got the new pads? (although Marty has worn new pads in the past and still continued this ritual) Was it when Elias came back? I'm really curious about what could change his routine after ALL THESE YEARS!

I know he didn't do it back in early December way before the new pads. I remember someone on this site saying that he didn't do it for the first time and then at the next game I went to, I payed attention to it and sure enough he didn't do it. I don't believe that Doc & Chico have addressed that on the games but I could be mistaken. I miss seeing it.

Has he not been doing it all season long?  Maybe the long layoff prompted him to change or forget about his routines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He did it all along until sometime I December I believe. I know he was doing it on Opening Night and games in November. He didn't do it at the games I was at during December.

He did it all along until sometime I December I believe.  I know he was doing it on Opening Night and games in November.  He didn't do it at the games I was at during December.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess because the Devils had been struggling so mightily, maybe he wanted to change things up. That's the best answer I can muster though, sorry. :noclue: