Hatcher named Captain of Flyers

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Hatcher named acting captain of Flyers

Associated Press

1/29/2006 4:46:17 PM

VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - Derian Hatcher is the new acting captain for the struggling Philadelphia Flyers.

He replaces captain Keith Primeau, who is out indefinitely with a concussion.

Hatcher previously served as captain of the Dallas Stars and wore the "C" during the team's Stanley Cup championship in 1999.

The Flyers have been without a designated captain since Primeau was sidelined Oct. 30. Hatcher is the 14th captain in the franchise's 39-year history, a number that includes two stints by now-general manager Bobby Clarke.

After Saturday night's 6-0 loss to Tampa Bay, the Flyers have lost seven of 10, including five of six at home.

Hatcher and Primeau met with Clarke and coach Ken Hitchcock on Sunday.

"I think it's something that (Hitchcock) and some of the players felt that, with some of what's been going on, that there needed to be a captain, a voice in the room that represents the team," Hatcher said.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152869&hubname=nhl

---

Kind of reminds me of when we named Niedermayer acting Captain when Stevens went down with the PCS. Wonder if Primeau is done for the year...I mean, he's been out since October now, doesn't sound like he's returning anytime soon, especially with Hatcher being named acting Captain.

Edited by RD

This is interesting especially since Clarke had also said that if Primeau wasn't back after the Olympics, he wasn't coming back at all this year, not even for the playoffs if he were better then, because he wouldn't have played for almost 2 years (the amount he played in the beginning of the year isn't enough to matter). So he didn't even want to wait until then to name someone. Either Primeau knows he's not coming back or things are SO bad they can't take the chance to let it go even that next little bit.

there is NO WAY Gagne would ever be considered for a Captains C.

It would have gone to Forsberg, Johnsson, even Desjardins and several others before Gagne. Bobby Clarke would NEVER allow that.

ya...i don't think you know what you're talking about.

gags wore the C during the preseason and hitch has an affinity towards gags. he's wears an A. Say what you will about him being a spare part on the forsberg line, but he does things other than score and works as hard as anybody else which really makes him a hitchcock favorite.

forsberg has an A as well. johnsson wears an A, but with his brutally inconsitent play this years i doubt he'd get a C. Dejardins has played 18 games this year....and he has been given an offer for the C before and turned it down.

forsberg has only been out for an extended period of time once, for 6 games.

the people who wore an A this year were gags, forsberg, johnsson, hatcher, zeus, and dejardins

thinking it over, zeus deserved the C over hatcher...but both are great choices. zeus has been one of the most underrated players for the past few years. an amazing force at both ends. His scoring touch is lacking, but he is a great play maker and cycler of the puck downlow.

Edited by bruins4777

*coughPatrikEliascough*

Who says he's the best player on the Devils? Although he's more or less the best player among those eligible to wear the C :P

Besides RD's point wasn't that being the best player precludes you from being captain, just that it alone doesn't make you captain.

As far as the Flyers I'm not surprised they made Hatcher captain though it's not really ideal when a guy that's been there half a year becomes captain when they have other vets around, I understand why they did it especially with the Hitch connection.

Edited by Hasan4978

Who says he's the best player on the Devils? Although he's more or less the best player among those eligible to wear the C :P

Besides RD's point wasn't that being the best player precludes you from being captain, just that it alone doesn't make you captain.

automatically making your best player your captain can really backfire sometimes...

*cough*joethornton*cough*expectationswaytoohigh*cough*retardedgm*

cough*

I'm surprised they haven't made him captain NOW with Mario's retirement :P

(Do they have one yet or are they going leader-less too...not like anyone really cares anyway they suck with or without a captain :lol:)

at least they didnt make the captain recchi, my god that guy was a bitchmachine on the flyers. complain complain complain about EVERY FREAKING CALL. so irritating. i use to like him, but blah that was one thing about him i wish he'd always just shut up about...and now he's going to mentor crosby on how to bitch? god save us.

on the actual issue of primeau...all my flyers fans friends and i gave up on him a while ago...it was funny to see my one friend's drastic turn around...last year he couldn't get off of preems jock, but as soon as that salary cap came into place you wouldn't believe how much he complained about that contract.

Edited by bruins4777

I gotta go back and find that clip of Crosby bumping into LeClair on the bench, where Big John looked like he wanted to die. Anyone remember what thread that was in?

And if the Pens don't name Crosby captain, their options are pretty limited. I doubt LeClair will be very serviceable next season (or even on the team -- March 9th trade bait, much?), and they don't exactly have a great number of players who have been on the team a long time. Unless they pull a Ducks (bring in a top player and give him the C -- did they do that two seasons in a row, with Fedorov AND Niedermayer?), it'll go to Sid the Kid.

I gotta go back and find that clip of Crosby bumping into LeClair on the bench, where Big John looked like he wanted to die. Anyone remember what thread that was in?

And if the Pens don't name Crosby captain, their options are pretty limited. I doubt LeClair will be very serviceable next season (or even on the team -- March 9th trade bait, much?), and they don't exactly have a great number of players who have been on the team a long time. Unless they pull a Ducks (bring in a top player and give him the C -- did they do that two seasons in a row, with Fedorov AND Niedermayer?), it'll go to Sid the Kid.

i believe josef melichar is a prime candidate :D

Hatcher ** yeesh** As I always say I want to like him but blehhh, and it's getting worse in his old age - that's the thing of it... he's not focusing he's just slowin' down an keeping the same stupid mindset. He really is a nice fit with the Flyers... as is Hitchcock really.... good hockey at it's core -- but just done all wrong :wacko:

and Primeau always sucks... except when the Devils made him look like a playoff monster two years ago... thanks Neidermayer with your dumb panic-mode stupid penalties <_<, grrrr.... and cuncussion boy - keeping the whole team all freaked while contributing NIL :angry:

Edited by Darwindog