BUSH BASHED BY FORMER PRESIDENT AT KING FUNERAL

LOULAM1

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

"KING FUNERAL TURNS POLITICAL: BUSH BASHED BY FORMER PRESIDENT, REVEREND

Tue Feb 07 2006 15:49:48 ET

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America. Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response, and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.

Developing..."

Amazing how the press has not jumped on this story already! Not really. :angry:

Who knows, maybe the next election the GOP president will get 52% of the vote.

Now I agree with you that it wasn't exactly the best place for someone to voice their opinions, but when will anyone have a chance to address Bush for his actions?

This administration never answers to any of it's falls and goes back to business as usual. Nobody ever gets a chance to address the president face to face. The audiences he takes questions from are pre-screened and any reporter who asks even a remotely tough question isn't allowed within 2 miles of him. Sadly they have to resort to getting at him at funerals.

Also note that blacks in this country are still struggling and very unhappy with Bush. When they are unhappy they tend to be a lot more vocal and aren't selective on a venue as other interest groups.

Edited by E-Devil

Now I agree with you that it wasn't exactly the best place for someone to voice their opinions, but when will anyone have a chance to address Bush for his actions?

This administration never answers to any of it's falls and goes back to business as usual. Nobody ever gets a chance to address the president face to face. The audiences he takes questions from are pre-screened and any reporter who asks even a remotely tough question isn't allowed within 2 miles of him. Sadly they have to resort to getting at him at funerals.

Damn the conservative media bias! :argh:

You're right. Kerry, Dean, Kennedy, Hillary and the rest of the crew didn't have a chance at Bush during the last election. :blink:

"Now I agree with you that it wasn't exactly the best place for someone to voice their opinions... ". Glad you agree.

I was not aware that any of the people you just mentioned spoke at the funeral.

I have no problem with it at all. Funerals are meant to discuss what was important to the person who died and Coretta Scott King was a political activist.

I love the Republican outrage. "How dare anyone speak ill of dear leader!"

Edited by PeteyNice

Funerals are meant to discuss what was important to the person who died and Coretta Scott King was a political activist.

Here's a AP for you:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../w115346S90.DTL

"The audience showed where its allegiance lay when former President Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, came to the podium to wild cheers and a long standing ovation. He opened by saying that he was honored to be with the other former presidents. Someone in the crowd yelled out, "Future president!" in reference to his wife's possible 2008 bid."

I'm glad the AP can make the assertion that... "The audience showed where its allegiance lay when former President Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, came to the podium to wild cheers and a long standing ovation." :puke:

Petey, do you think Mrs. King asked for someone to call out the President during her funeral?

"It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps."

Isn't this exactly what happened to the Kings? How is this a shot a Bush?

"The audience showed where its allegiance lay when former President Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, came to the podium to wild cheers and a long standing ovation. He opened by saying that he was honored to be with the other former presidents. Someone in the crowd yelled out, "Future president!" in reference to his wife's possible 2008 bid."

they're simply reciting exactly what happened again. The crowd loved the Clintons and disliked Bush. They're not taking sides, it's just the facts.

Edited by '7'

I see you're on point's bandwagon, namely, "you lost, now shut up and go away, preferably forever".

Wrong, I want a strong Democratic party (Truman), not a weak party that is being hijacked by the far left. I want the best for this Country, instead we get Carter and stunts like this?! The left is destroying this Country!

Here's a AP for you:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../w115346S90.DTL

I'm glad the AP can make the assertion that... "The audience showed where its allegiance lay when former President Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, came to the podium to wild cheers and a long standing ovation." :puke:

Petey, do you think Mrs. King asked for someone to call out the President during her funeral?

Yes, the "wild cheers" clearly show that the crowd disliked the Clintons. :rolleyes:

It is not a secret that she did not like Bush. I doubt that she would have missed a chance to publically call him out.

The left is destroying this Country!

Yes, that damn Left they have such power in Government today. They control the....uhhhh......hmmmm.....I'll get back to you but they have such vast power they must control some portion of our federal government.

Edited by PeteyNice

I was not aware that any of the people you just mentioned spoke at the funeral.

I have no problem with it at all. Funerals are meant to discuss what was important to the person who died and Coretta Scott King was a political activist.

I love the Republican outrage. "How dare anyone speak ill of dear leader!"

Seriously. If my people didn't talk about what I did with my life at my own funeral, I would like, strike them with lightning or something.

He really isn't. What is hurting the Democrats chances to control anything is poor leadership, the idea that you need to run the right to win elections so there is little difference between Democrats and Republicans and Diebold are what are keeping the Democrats from controlling anything.

My point is that a party cannot "destroy" the country if they are not in control of any of it.

Wrong, I want a strong Democratic party (Truman), not a weak party that is being hijacked by the far left. I want the best for this Country, instead we get Carter and stunts like this?! The left is destroying this Country!

Sounds more like you want a Democratic Party that's run by conservatives.

Somehow I missed this before. Are you advocating universal healthcare like Truman did? I think I feel faint...

He really isn't. What is hurting the Democrats chances to control anything is poor leadership, the idea that you need to run the right to win elections so there is little difference between Democrats and Republicans and Diebold are what are keeping the Democrats from controlling anything.

My point is that a party cannot "destroy" the country if they are not in control of any of it.

Something interesting for you guys all to do:

Go to google.com and type in failure. Click I'm feeling lucky.

Something interesting for you guys all to do:

Go to google.com and type in failure. Click I'm feeling lucky.

Well, it's just not an argument until you bring up Michael Moore, who is, no matter how you feel about him, one of the most successful documentarians of our time. I feel luckier when I enter "miserable failure" though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.