Spectors Trade Rumors 02/17/06

Rock

Tkachuk would make us legitimate contenders in the East. I love the idea but I think Lou's waiting for next year.

I agree. Just look at the chemistry he has with Gomez and Gionta. They could move Elias to a line with Parise and Brylin and really balance their scoring.

And Tkachuk would give the Devils that element they don't possess. A big power forward who can stand in front of the net and drive goalies crazy. He's also never won before. You'd think he'd be hungry for a chance. There's almost no way he'll stay in St. Louis.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tkachuk is a possibility, and I'd like to see him on the Devils. And at least his production is on par with his hefty contract (unlike Mr. Shane Doan).

I think this is the 3rd or 4th time the possibility of acquiring a powerforward has come up, and I still think the Devils' best options are Tkachuk, Parrish (not likely to deal with the Isles, though; 3-way trade?), Mike Johnson, or Jeff O'Neill (if the Leafs free-fall).

I wouldn't mind Tkachuk but I'm not sure if I would give up any prospects to get him. I don't think draft picks alone would get it done either. Realistically, what could we actually trade for Tkachuk?

Suglobov + a 2nd round pick? At this point, it doesn't look like Suglobov is ever going to get a real chance here anyway and I would imagine he does have some trade value.

Suglobov + a 2nd round pick? At this point, it doesn't look like Suglobov is ever going to get a real chance here anyway and I would imagine he does have some trade value.

I would agree with that. That would be a fair trade for both teams. We get a player to help us now for the cup, Blues get a player NHL ready who could end up being a 2nd liner or at least a 3rd liner, as well as a high draft pick to further help build for the future.

I would agree with that. That would be a fair trade for both teams. We get a player to help us now for the cup, Blues get a player NHL ready who could end up being a 2nd liner or at least a 3rd liner, as well as a high draft pick to further help build for the future.

No way St. Louis does that. They'd ask for a top prospect such as Zajac.

I agree. Just look at the chemistry he has with Gomez and Gionta. They could move Elias to a line with Parise and Brylin and really balance their scoring.

And Tkachuk would give the Devils that element they don't possess. A big power forward who can stand in front of the net and drive goalies crazy. He's also never won before. You'd think he'd be hungry for a chance. There's almost no way he'll stay in St. Louis.

You could stick McGillis on with Gomez and Gionta and it would "appear" that they have chemistry.

Tkachuck has never won before, because he doesn't care too. Tkachuk isn't paid his salary in the playoffs and it shows. As long as he is paid heavily Tkachuk will stay in St Louis. He is not the type of player that cares about winning. Which is why I don't want him. I certainly wouldn't give up Sluggo for him.

The most I would give would be a forth or fifth round draft pick for him, because he is as good as gone after we rent him for the playoffs. Lou is not going to pay him more than Elias, Gomez or Gionta, and rightly so.

St. Louis will have a hard time getting anything for Tkachuk. There is no market for him. No one is going to give up anything big for a rental player and a tainted one at that.

You could stick McGillis on with Gomez and Gionta and it would "appear" that they have chemistry.

Tkachuck has never won before, because he doesn't care too. Tkachuk isn't paid his salary in the playoffs and it shows. As long as he is paid heavily Tkachuk will stay in St Louis. He is not the type of player that cares about winning. Which is why I don't want him. I certainly wouldn't give up Sluggo for him.

The most I would give would be a forth or fifth round draft pick for him, because he is as good as gone after we rent him for the playoffs. Lou is not going to pay him more than Elias, Gomez or Gionta, and rightly so.

And you know this how. Have you spoken to him? Tri is right. He's never played on a great team. You can cite the examples of some solid teams he was on but they weren't championship caliber.

Keith is a winning player too. Instead of just judging from the outside, look at what he brings to the table. Hardnosed powerforward who can dominate shifts in front of the net. Has deadly one-timer and is great at redirecting pucks and screening goalies. Plays physical.

You put him on a legit team that's balanced and he can help them compete for a Cup.

Good point which is why I doubt a deal will get done. I really wouldn't be suprised to see the Devils make no trade at the deadline. Although I would think St. Louis would try to unload Tkachuk rather than lose him for nothing in the offseason. I know the Rangers are "interested" in him. Could they come up with a fair deal?

And you know this how. Have you spoken to him? Tri is right. He's never played on a great team. You can cite the examples of some solid teams he was on but they weren't championship caliber.

Keith is a winning player too. Instead of just judging from the outside, look at what he brings to the table. Hardnosed powerforward who can dominate shifts in front of the net. Has deadly one-timer and is great at redirecting pucks and screening goalies. Plays physical.

You put him on a legit team that's balanced and he can help them compete for a Cup.

St. Louis was a championship caliber team from 2000 on. Tkachuk was supposed to be the hardnosed powerforward who was supposed to dominate shifts in front of the net and his deadly one timer never existed beyond March. He is not a championship caliber player. He is an expensive mercenary in the mold of Billy Guerin, who doesn't care about winning, only his paycheck.

Well if Thachuk is ever coming to the Devils, the Olympics are the perfect audition since he'll be playing with Gomez and Gionta :P If they show some chemistry and Lou asked them what they thought of Thachuk, who knows - not that I think they would move Elias off the line if they did acquire Thachuk just saying.

I don't think salary's an issue because of the cumulative thing especially since it goes down dramatically next year for whatever reason (maybe there's an option for $4 million I don't remember).

As for the whole winning thing yeah he obviously shouldn't be the leader of the team, he wouldn't have to be here. As a leader, he could well be Guerin and I wouldn't be surprised if both were involved in the '98 fiasco in Nagano :P But in a supporting role he could also be Mogilny circa 2000 and fit in well that way.

Edited by Hasan4978

Good point which is why I doubt a deal will get done. I really wouldn't be suprised to see the Devils make no trade at the deadline. Although I would think St. Louis would try to unload Tkachuk rather than lose him for nothing in the offseason. I know the Rangers are "interested" in him. Could they come up with a fair deal?

And give up what exactly. They have the perfect team chemistry. I wouldn't mess with it too much with the exception of acquiring an extra defenseman.

St. Louis was a championship caliber team from 2000 on. Tkachuk was supposed to be the hardnosed powerforward who was supposed to dominate shifts in front of the net and his deadly one timer never existed beyond March. He is not a championship caliber player. He is an expensive mercenary in the mold of Billy Guerin, who doesn't care about winning, only his paycheck.

I don't know about that Manta. Yes, that St. Louis team was good but their goalie was Brent Johnson.

Manta, you do realize that the coach of the year award is the sh!ttiest team award, right? It's awarded to the coach thought to get the most out of a mediocre squad. Therefore, having the 'Coach of the Year' is not an asset, but a detriment, because it proves that those teams were weak.

Let's look at the 99 Coyotes - a defense of Numminen, Lumme, Tverdovsky, Carney, Daigneault, Neckar. Some real winners there. You mention Shane Doan - he was young. You mention Rick Tocchet - he was old. The defense was soft and unremarkable, and the Coyotes tended to get players like Reichel and Janney for the 2nd line. Khabibulin was their goaltender but he was enigmatic - he could steal a game but he could definitely lose it as well. Oh, and which team is Bobby Francis the head coach of now, I forget.

Now let's look at the 2001 Blues. First of all, players brought in to help team scoring in the playoffs usually do not. For examples, you can look at Amonte with the Flyers, Gilmour and Mogilny with the Devils, and there are many others through the years.

The Blues defense was MacInnis, Pronger, Khavanov, Hill, Finley, Salvador, with Gusarov for the playoffs. MacInnis and Pronger - great defenders, both will be in the HOF. The rest of the guys are bad to worse - Salvador is being exposed as awful this year as his +/- continues to go down, Hill had a horrible season and ended up back in Carolina, and Finley and Gusarov are outright terrible.

Meanwhile at forward, they had Pierre Turgeon who is okay but not great, Scott Young who played way above his head all that season, Cory Stillman who was a healthy scratch in the Stanley Cup Finals in 04, Pavol Demitra who has 44 points in 63 playoff games, and 576 points in 603 NHL games, and some assorted other dreck.

The point is - these teams never had the kind of secondary scoring or strong defense to go very far in the playoffs. They relied on below-average defensemen and finesse scorers to have strong regular seasons, only to tank in the playoffs because the whole team other than a few guys was dreck. I believe it was 2000 I predicted the President's Trophy winning Blues to exit first round - those Blues squads were always full of holes both in net and on defense.

Keith Tkachuk would be perfect for the Devils - he would give them the second line scoring they desperately need. He would give them the power play presence they've needed all year. I don't think they would demand a top prospect - getting his contract off the books would save the Blues around 1.5 million, and the market for him will not be large, considering that most contending teams are up to the cap. I think Suglobov and a 2nd or Suglobov and a 1st could spring him.

Edited by Triumph

They may ask for a top prospect, but I doubt they get one for a guy that is a rental with baggage and a history of underperforming in the playoffs.

If it becomes a bidding war where the price becomes a Zajac type of player, we should pass.

I didn't realize we had a weak team in '94.

Is it really necessary to do this? Fine - it's the weakest team or largest gain award. The Jack Adams is awarded to either the team that makes the biggest strides in one season, or wins the most games with what appears to be a subpar squad.

Is it really necessary to do this? Fine - it's the weakest team or largest gain award. The Jack Adams is awarded to either the team that makes the biggest strides in one season, or wins the most games with what appears to be a subpar squad.

Probably not. But that is more accurate. :) It also applies to the '99 Senators & Martin.

This might have been mentioned already, but Tkachuk has a $3.8 Million Option for next season. That is a massive bargain. If we can snag Tkachuk, and don't have to give up Parise, Zajac, Bergfors, or Tallackson, I wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by Voros19

I'm intkachtrigued by the possibilities. He sure seems to have great chemistry with Gomez and Gionta.

The Good To Go line?

The American Legion?

The United Skates?

The U.S. of Aim?

The Red, White and Food?

The possiblities are endless!

i'll throw my opinion in on this as well. as usual, i agree 100% with Triumph in that Tkachuk would be a good addition. He brings things that would help this team. I don't buy the clubhouse cancer thing as far as a rental goes. he's the new guy and there's enough presence here where he's not rocking the boat anytime soon.

now if you told me i had to give him an extension (even at a fair number) beyond next year's option, then I wouldn't take him AND a 1st rounder for Mcgillis. but if all i had to do was pick up next year's 3.8 and it didn't affect my ability to keep elias i would deal anyone not named bergfors, parise, or zajac as far as prospects and i'd give the 2nd rounder too.

Id' take Keith for a playoff run but thats it.

The guy who I would much rather see in a Devils uniform is Owen Nolan.

He would fit in nicely. The bigger issue is getting a talented big center in the draft. We need a center and a defenseman in the early rounds.

Edited by jursylegnd