The Official comprehensive thread of CHICO-ISM and DOC-TRUISMS

El Diablo

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but noticed tonight that after Elias did his rendition of the Denis-Savard-spin-o-rama, Doc said "...nd Elias finishes off his compulsory before tossing the puck up to Brylin". I got a chuckle.

I cannot take it anymore, Chico has to go!!

He ruins these games for me... I love Doc, but Chico is killing me, i turned the volume off last night becuase I could not deal w/ it anymore...

I find myself screaming at him, he's just too much of a homer, always making excuses for NJ.. just tell it like it is.. they sucked in the 1st period.. you are allowed to say it!!!

Sorry.. needed to vent...

Color guys are supposed to be homers. But as much as everyone thinks Chico says Marty does no wrong (he's pretty defensive of all goalies), after listening to JD fawn over Lundquist, I'm convinced he wipes the guys butt with his tongue. :puke: JD is homerism defined.

He ruins these games for me... I love Doc, but Chico is killing me, i turned the volume off last night becuase I could not deal w/ it anymore...

I find myself screaming at him, he's just too much of a homer, always making excuses for NJ.. just tell it like it is.. they sucked in the 1st period.. you are allowed to say it!!!

Red,

Have you ever listened to any of the other comentators in the league? I admit I rarely watch the other teams but the times I have they are worse homers than Chico. Tampa Bay, Pittsburg, NYR, Colorado...those guys are horrible when it comes to "unbiased" commentating. The only complaint I have about Chico is that he trips over his words from time-to-time. He is what he is and I think the guy is truely one of the good guys out there. For what he lacks in commentating skills Doc makes up for in spades (we are soooo lucky to have Doc). So in closing, Chico goes nowhere!

i was flipping between the ranger game and the devil game and the rangers were in the process of getting smacked around. a senator had just scored a goal and JD goes "lundquist was 1 cm away from making a spectacular save!!!". its one thing to go overboard on a save that a goalie does make......but its a whole new level of homerism to talk about saves that he didn't make.

Red,

Have you ever listened to any of the other comentators in the league? I admit I rarely watch the other teams but the times I have they are worse homers than Chico. Tampa Bay, Pittsburg, NYR, Colorado...those guys are horrible when it comes to "unbiased" commentating. The only complaint I have about Chico is that he trips over his words from time-to-time. He is what he is and I think the guy is truely one of the good guys out there. For what he lacks in commentating skills Doc makes up for in spades (we are soooo lucky to have Doc). So in closing, Chico goes nowhere!

The ranger announcers suck..

the Devs radio guy is good Valicheck?? would like to see him work w/ Doc...

And I know its a devils guy and he is supposed to to nb Pro NJ.. Chico just takes it too far for me...

The ranger announcers suck..

the Devs radio guy is good Valicheck?? would like to see him work w/ Doc...

And I know its a devils guy and he is supposed to to nb Pro NJ.. Chico just takes it too far for me...

Valischek is ok, a little too dry for me. Mike Miller is the guy I miss in radio.

Red,

I have to concur with my linemate. What Chico lacks, Doc covers. We've covered time and again through the various boards what a great guy Chico is (as I look up at my autographed photo of me with him)......

It is better to have Chico than some horrible talking head.

Red,

All those announcers are bias except the Pens announcers who are my favourite in the league. The guys are not homers at all. I caught them during all 8 games against the Devils and each time, all they did was praise New Jersey over and over. Easily the least homerish announcers in the league.

its not him being a homer that gets to me. Its the fact that he cant speak english, and hes really poor at speaking his thoughts and working with the production. he is difficult to take.

I'm sorry - I have to chime in on this. We are really lucky to have Doc and Chico for our games. I watch 1-2 games a night on DirecTV and most regional feeds (FSN, NESN, SUN, etc) are always very biased telecasts. Someone did correctly point out that Washington and Pittsburgh have the most humble announcers, but they have much to be humble about, so that makes sense.

Being stuck in Detroit, I think that I am somewhat of a connesieur of "homers". Mickey Redmond is quite possibly the worst color guy and biggest homer in the history of sport. Hockeytown could not be over-hyped or over rated. With that being said however, I think that being a homer is part of their role - especially for regional coverage.

For example, when games are on FSN, Mickey is exteremely biased. I saw him on a national (NBC) interview and I was really surprised at his transformation. I wouldn't be surpirsed if Chico would be the same... Nonetheless, Doc is the perfect balance to Chico's rhetoric (I'd like to hear Chico try to say, "rhetoric" :rofl: )

CBC announcers are really great if you ever get a chance to hear bob cole or harry neal call a game, it's special.

You know this thread was never supposed to be a knock on CHICO or DOC thread ... it was meant as a dumping ground for some of the funny/absurd/incredible statements they ususally make throughout a broadcast. If you want to rag on the guys do it somewhere else :angry2: :koolaid:

its funny. i was watching the replay of sat's game with JD as color and i have to admit, i missed Chico! JD is such a rangers homer, at least you know Chico will be pulling for us.

I was watching Hockey Night in NY just now, and after Doc, Chico, and Trautwig cut away to Matt and Stan, the audio picked up Doc talking over them, telling Chico and Al 'It's a good thing we can't hear, 'cause Stan will find some-' before it was cut off.

Aside for my hoping for profanity, I imagine Emrich was going to say 'some way to be negative about the win' or something to that effect. Funny stuff.

Edited by Puddy