The Official comprehensive thread of CHICO-ISM and DOC-TRUISMS

El Diablo

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant even remember who said it and what the heck it was about now.. but during the game on SAturday..one of them started a story about something...maybe 731 will remember... and we had no idea where it was going...and then something happened..and they interrupted and NEVER went back to it....and i was sooo frustrated cause i was trying to see the connection.

But Doc is the foremost NHL authority on players pronounciations or at least officially was for many years... :rock:

No argument there and I would even say that he is right and 29 others are wrong but my point was maybe Howie Rose does that because of the way Doc pronounces Kvasha.

Forget which game but Chico says something to the effect of "The goaltenders are really using thier sticks well tonight" 1:30 into the game.

"boy oh boy" JD sucks, and his love affair with Lundqvist "The best goalie the NHL has ever seen" is at least slightly over the top. :rant:

Well, I know for a fact that Ranger fans say the same thing about Chico and Marty. So it's not like this kind of thing is unusual. I mean, has Marty EVER let in a bad goal, at least according to Chico???

Well, I know for a fact that Ranger fans say the same thing about Chico and Marty. So it's not like this kind of thing is unusual. I mean, has Marty EVER let in a bad goal, at least according to Chico???

Meh - I think Marty has "EARNED" some of his accolades -- That guy across the river needs to do alot more to be deemed "The greatest goalie the NHL has ever seen"

Meh - I think Marty has "EARNED" some of his accolades -- That guy across the river needs to do alot more to be deemed "The greatest goalie the NHL has ever seen"

Yes, Marty has earned the accolades he gets when he really does play well, which is often. But how has he 'earned' the fact that Chico can never admit that Marty gives up a bad goal or has a bad game? It just makes Chico look stupid and fawning and, quite frankly, it doesn't do anything to make Marty look better.

Lundqvist has had a very good year. It may be that he's getting a little tired, we'll have to see how he finishes. However, I'm not saying that he's earned anything like Marty's stature yet. I'm simply saying that Chico's complete and total blindness and fawning when it comes to Marty are no different than what JD is doing, it's just that you don't find it nearly as annoying because Marty is a Devil.

I'm simply saying that Chico's complete and total blindness and fawning when it comes to Marty are no different than what JD is doing, it's just that you don't find it nearly as annoying because Marty is a Devil.

I agree about his blindness and admittedly find it amusing - I just took exception at the statement and reiterated that Marty has earned those accolaes be it from a biased Chico or a biased Gary Thorne...

well he is a rookie and he's kicking ass, let's not trash h is repp yet.

Im not trashing anyone... simply stating that long is the list of 'flash in the pans' that have dominated in their first year of play to ride humbly into the sunset and become the answer to a trivia question during some stoppage of play. IMO

I agree about his blindness and admittedly find it amusing - I just took exception at the statement and reiterated that Marty has earned those accolaes be it from a biased Chico or a biased Gary Thorne...

Im not trashing anyone... simply stating that long is the list of 'flash in the pans' that have dominated in their first year of play to ride humbly into the sunset and become the answer to a trivia question during some stoppage of play. IMO

I don't see that happening with Lundqvist. He's too mentally strong and too technically sound. Working with one of the best goalie coaches in the NHL has sped up his development this season.

He's got too much Brodeur in him to flop. If not for some of the saves he's made during their current losing streak, they would've lost a couple of games a lot worse. He makes ridiculous saves look easy.

There is only one flaw that I see. Stick side high. If you can hit it, you have a pretty good chance of scoring. He takes away everything down low and has a quick glove. He's only 24 and I see one area that needs improvement. If he can make the adjustment, oh man.

Time to bump this:

We were having a discussion of Chico-isms. Here are some we came up with:

"Well, Marty slipped on all of them. Clearly he was in perfect position like always."

"MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTTTTTY!!!!!!! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOO"

"aw i don't know Doc it looks like it took a crazy bounce off the boards hit Klee in the butt and then hit a speck of dust and went in. marty had NO chance on that one."

"Well, he had it lined up but it took a weird hop off a skate, then deflected off a body in front, then took a 90 degree angle off a glove."

"We used to call Mario MaryAnn " -- Chico 3/16

"The girls used to get the better grades .... well they were more polite... " -- Doc on giving out grades when he was a teacher 3/16

Just more polite Doc? Yeah right.

hey what about JD today trying to kiss jagr's ass about the stick measuring......for 7 straight years JD has had to warp his sense of perception to try to point out the "great play" of a perpetually losing team. i guess old habits die hard.

Edited by brylin18

That didn't bother me because that rule is garbage. They just invented it on the fly.

What bothered me more was him going ga ga over Lundqvist's final save on Ovechkin. It was harmless even if it was right in front. He didn't get anything on it. Just a fluky bounce.

That didn't bother me because that rule is garbage. They just invented it on the fly.

On the fly? Its been a rule for a while, just because you go into a shootout doesnt mean you can all of a sudden use an illegal stick. If Jagr was using that same stick in regulation is it still a garbage rule made up on the fly? It wasnt a rule change for the players, it was a procedure change for the refs to measure all sticks, not just the challenged ones (for shootouts)

On the fly? Its been a rule for a while, just because you go into a shootout doesnt mean you can all of a sudden use an illegal stick. If Jagr was using that same stick in regulation is it still a garbage rule made up on the fly? It wasnt a rule change for the players, it was a procedure change for the refs to measure all sticks, not just the challenged ones (for shootouts)

Precisely why this league sometimes doesn't use logic. What other league changes rules after 3/4 of the season has been played? It should have been instituted from the beginning.