DISCUSSION: KLEE TO DEVILS FOR SUGLOBOV

Weekes Head

Well, the Devils handed a 2nd line opportunity to Parise when they shouldn't have, and quite frankly there's no way Suglobov wouldn't have been more productive given the same opportunity. I've seen 50 to 60 rats games in person the past three years and if Suglobov is not a chip, then the Devs are in deep, deep trouble up front for years to come.

Who is going to be a better player in the NHL 5 years from now - Zach Parise or Alexander Suglobov?

Same question - Alexander Suglobov or Ken Klee?

This is an invalid question. Obviously Suglobov is likely to be in the NHL whereas Klee will not be, but the Devils were getting rid of Suglobov regardless. You cannot evaluate prospect for veteran deals this way or else they will all look bad. The Devils are getting a better player for one not on their roster and one not in their future plans.

Who will be a better player in 5 years - Peter Forsberg or Cam Janssen?

This was about what I was expecting...a "blah" move.

I would've liked to have seen Suglobov get a shot, but with this team's scoring woes and Suglobov not getting a chance to help, I have to believe Lou knows something about him that we may not. I've heard the negatives over the years (takes nights off, not a great two-way player, etc.).

Clearly this is going to be one of those "wait-and-see" type moves. Can't say I'm loving it right now though.

I figured Suglobov was gonna be traded with Bergfors coming along. Suglobov just isn't smart/good enough defensivly to stay in the NHL with New Jersey. Suglobov is Toronto is a perfect fit, a system with no defense.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

hahah...Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate):

The Leafs have picked up one d and gotten rid of another...but they did steal Sublogov from NJ...he is a stud, and we are all shocked that Lou gave him up....this leaves Nashville, Vancouver and NJ to fight over Witt...

Here's Scott Burnside, an actual human with a face's analysis of the trade, which pretty much sums up my feelings of it:

Hours after acquiring a soon-to-be 37-year-old defenseman with great character but limited mobility in Luke Richardson, the Leafs give up a solid if unspectacular defenseman in exchange for a prospect with a moderate upside (Suglobov was the leading scorer for the AHL's River Rats when called up by the Devils in mid-January, but did not dress for the last six Devils' games). Both Richardson and Klee are set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season. Short-term, the Leafs take a small step back, while long-term they take a small step forward. That pretty much sums up the team's place in the hockey universe. In Klee, the Devils get a solid veteran who should have little problem fitting in to Lou Lamoriello's system.

Let's see what happens next. Maybe Klee will be a solid addition.

Lets hope he regains his old form in our defensive minded system. Maybe a change of scenery is good for him. Sorry to see Suglobov go but I doubt he had a future here. Anyway wasn't Suglobov a free agent anyway at the end of this year? So he could have/probably would have walked in free agency anyway.

Here. Here. I can't remember when I've been more disappointed in a move..... I usually held out hope that each trade would help us, but I think this was just pissing away a chip and filling cap space. This has really destroyed the buzz I had from the baseball game.

Right. On a team that can't score, the guy was still in Albany at the age of 24. Does that tell you anything? He had no future here. Hardly much of a chip if you ask me. It's not a move that has me beside myself with joy, but it wasn't a bad move.

This is why Lou got him: Klee was born April 24, 1971 in Indianapolis, IN.

:evil:

Another American. Giddyup!! :D:P

Look. If you had asked me yesterday if I would have taken Ken Klee off the Leafs hand in exchange for a PAPER CLIP I would have turned it down. He is not worth the salary he is making and that $2M could have been used for MUCH, MUCH better things.

Klee is an UFA at the end of the year. Does Lou think that this means we are going to win the Stanley Cup? What do we really GAIN here?

Suglobov for a draft pick.

Suglobov for another prospect.

Suglobov for donut.

I don't care.... but not Suglobov *FOR KEN KLEE*

I don't understand it. I don't know what the heck Lou was thinking. I've still got steam coming out of my ears so I'm going to bed before I have a coronary.

Look. If you had asked me yesterday if I would have taken Ken Klee off the Leafs hand in exchange for a PAPER CLIP I would have turned it down. He is not worth the salary he is making and that $2M could have been used for MUCH, MUCH better things.

Klee is an UFA at the end of the year. Does Lou think that this means we are going to win the Stanley Cup? What do we really GAIN here?

Suglobov for donut.

I don't understand it. I don't know what the heck Lou was thinking. I've still got steam coming out of my ears so I'm going to bed before I have a coronary.

From the scouting report, Suglobov is great offensively but not so good defensively. that could be one major factor as our system doesn't allow a player who doesn't take care of his own end first. Secondly, Suglobov has good speed but an average passer (that means he could be a selfish player).

This is not a $2 million investment, the Leafs have already paid 3/4 of his salary and cap costs are accrued per day not based on total value of the contract. It's about a $500,000 investment for the Devils, or $50,000 more than Darren Langdon will make for sitting on his toosh since December.

Edited by Hasan4978

This is not a $2 million investment, the Leafs have already paid 3/4 of his salary and cap costs are accrued per day not based on total value of the contract. It's about a $500,000 investment for the Devils, or $50,000 more than Darren Langdon will make for sitting on his toosh since December.

Nonononononononono....... I really don't give a sh!t what Venderbeek has to pay out here. I really don't care if the Devils make a profit or a loss. What I care about is putting the maximum amount of talent on the ice possible. If we could afford to add a $2M player given our cap consideration, we should have been looking for better ways of using that $2M space. I realize it is not truely $2M - but we had enough space for a player making $2M this year and we chose one that is useless in the long run.

It is very unlikely with only one offensive line that we will win the Stanley Cup.

Ken Klee will disappear after this season.

We will have given up Suglobov for *nothing*. Zero. Nadda.

If anything at all, we could have left Suglobov down with the Rats and help them score some goals.... I'm sure they are incredibly pleased that we pissed away their highest scorer for someone that won't help this team one iota.

Suglobov for donut.

Of course he isn't worth $2M - did we trade for him at the beginning of the season? No. Ironically in a salary cap system a player is worth more at the deadline than he is at the beginning of the season, because the Devils are not on the hook for his salary for the whole season. The same thing is true of UFAs - they are worth *more* than players on long deals because the Devils know he walks at the end of the year.

I don't think you understand the thinking of NHL GMs - in fact since you're a constant proponent of total rebuilding, I'm pretty sure you don't. Ken Klee gives them a better shot to win another playoff round - a playoff round is worth a lot of money for the franchise this year, and Klee is only going to cost the team something around $500,000. Alex Suglobov for a draft pick or another prospect is a total lateral move, he' was drafted in 2000 and brought through the system, why do all that and then trade him for a draft pick? - this move improves the team.

NHL GMs don't think "Either I win the Stanley Cup, or I'm going to throw away the season to give me a better shot." Suglobov's value isn't going up - this time next year he will be 25 and waiver eligible. AFAIK, waivers begins to apply after 3 professional seasons with players older than 24. This guy really is not a big asset - the Devils would've probably lost him for nothing next season. The Devils are better for having dealt Alex Suglobov, even though Ken Klee is unimpressive.

The Devils would have been better for calling Suglobov up and actually playing him! He mastered the AHL. He kicks its ass on a regular basis. I could see trading him for a Dman if that was our problem but we are rolling along just fine with what we have back there. Where we need help is up front scoring goals and that is what he can do. We have asked young players to make big offensive contributions before (see Gomez, Scott and Sykora, Petr). so it is not like this would be something new.