Can we still bring back Mogilny?

'7'

Overall I am fairly satisfied with the moves, the defense has been solidified. But the offense is paper thin now, we can barely score 2 goals a game without Elias. With a healthy Elias they can just do enough to get by...but we have zero offensive depth. If anybody else gets banged up the team is screwed. The Devils could use an infusion of Almo around playoff time to give this team another scoring threat, then we can start looking like an NHL offense again.

Elias-Gomez-Gionta

Parise-Kozlov-Mogilny

Wiemer-Madden-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Rasmussen-Brylin/Marshall

I'd like to know the answer to that too though somehow though I doubt he's coming back in any case, Lou seemed pretty set in not having him come back when he declared he wouldn't be back this year. Of course minds are made to be changed but with all the stuff that's come out about Mogilny being a drag on the locker room I doubt Lou'd bring him back even for a playoff run.

You bring up a good point.... I agree, and as a matter of fact, imagine Gomez or Gionta hurt. The other day I was a little scared when Brylin gashed his head, he could luckily still play and played a good game. Mogilny is good but from what I know, he was sent to the Waivers because Lamoriello doesn't like him. I think Mogilny was not encouraging and had the wrong attitude, sure he's good and it would be nice having him back, but I dont know...

The waiver system is gutted come playoff time. We could call him up without having to worry about re-entry waivers.

I think.

This is correct. You can call players up and send them down without exposing them to waivers.

Still, the Devils would have to lose a few forwards before Lou even considered it. Mogilny will be packing his things and leaving Albany - other players will be skating with the Devils regularly.

Really? I'm surprised, that's a nice way to maneuver around the cap.

Since the players no longer get paid during the playoffs, it's a matter of roster rules, not the cap, anymore. There is no cap because there are no salaries. There are just rules about who you can sign (for example, you can't go out and sign some guy from Europe) and obviously you can't trade for anyone. But you can bring someone up from your minor league affiliate if you have to. No matter who he is.

I see what you are saying, but in essence, didn't a team "hide" an expensive player in the minors and get him off the cap, just to bring him up when he's needed?

As I understand it, it wasn't the cap that made Lou send Mogilny to Albany.

As I understand it, it wasn't the cap that made Lou send Mogilny to Albany.

I didn't mean that Mogilny being sent down was a cap move by Lou. That was a banishment! :evil: I was just questioning the being able to bring any player up w/o having to go through waivers as a way to get around the cap.

He would be a huge upgrade over Marshall or whatever drech we have on right wing now. It would be kinda cool to see him resurface in the playoffs, I hope Lou can put this grudge behind him. I didn't know of any shouting match between them...but if he can patch things up with Lemieux and MacLean, then he can with Mogilny.

I'm not sure I understand any of this waivers playoff stuff... but let me ask...

Let's say you are the Rangers GM. You sign $90M worth of players and put $50M worth of guys in Hartford. Your $40M worth of guys barely make it into the playoffs, but then you call up all the stars you stockpiled in the AHL. Also, signing guys and throwing them down to Hartford is a wonderful way of keeping star players off your competition to boot....

Are you telling me the NHL didn't think of this when writing the CBA?

I'm not sure I understand any of this waivers playoff stuff... but let me ask...

Let's say you are the Rangers GM. You sign $90M worth of players and put $50M worth of guys in Hartford. Your $40M worth of guys barely make it into the playoffs, but then you call up all the stars you stockpiled in the AHL. Also, signing guys and throwing them down to Hartford is a wonderful way of keeping star players off your competition to boot....

Are you telling me the NHL didn't think of this when writing the CBA?

I thought there was some maximum to how many NHL vets you could have on your farm team. Not too sure.

Doubt any player would want to sign with a team that did that.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Voros19

It's an ego thing too Don. If you were a star in the NHL why would you consent to go to the AHL?

But yes, that would be perfectly legal.

EDIT: There is a veteran limit in the AHL, but that's a game limit. You can rotate them around so different veterans play in different games.

Edited by PeteyNice

He would be a huge upgrade over Marshall or whatever drech we have on right wing now. It would be kinda cool to see him resurface in the playoffs, I hope Lou can put this grudge behind him. I didn't know of any shouting match between them...but if he can patch things up with Lemieux and MacLean, then he can with Mogilny.

Good post, and I'm with you. If he's healthy and wants to be a part a playoff team, I'd like to see him back.

this occurred to me yesterday after the deadline also. I wouldn't mind giving Almo another shot at a playoff run. If he showed some inspirational work out there, i'd say Lou was back to his usual genius form

i'm cautiously optimistic about our playoff chances.

So is Almo in Albany to save on cap space and also perhaps to rest his bad hip but still get in a few games here and there to still stay in game shape for the playoffs? I have no idea, but it's an interesting theory. I would say it is most dependent on the behind the scenes interactions between Lou and Almo which we'll never be privy to.