Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park' Over 'Bigotry'

langsgirl

DM: I wasnt sure if this should be moved into politics... since it mentions religion...feel free to move it if you need to.

Fro AOL

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park' Over 'Bigotry'

Outspoken Scientologist Upset With Show's Depiction of Religion

By ERIN CARLSON, AP

NEW YORK (March 13) - Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem - and he's cashed plenty of checks - with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arrogant jackass... you had a classic sidenote niche character in a legenday TV series.. and now you're back to being NOTHING again... hope Tom Cruise can get a new gig on scientology park :P

Oh I want to see that one.. I LOVED the Mormon one -- it cracked me up to no end because once my mother actually invited those guys in to chat... Elders... they never left us alone after that! We started calling the head guy Elder Berry which morphed into Dingle Berry... and then oh never mind... it's too inane :P

Ughh Scientologists...what twisted views they have...we're discussing them in class..whatever... :huh:

LOTCB called, he said you left out a few $s. :P

That'$ the Clown $ignature! :doh1:

I could care less about this but come on. He was on the show that long before he quit. Uh...wtf?

Anyway, I choose to remember Isaac Hayes for that deep soulful voice and his funny guest appearance on Fresh Prince when Will and Lisa were getting married in Vegas. And he keeps interrupting Will and Will gets mad and then says, "Your Isaac Hayes impersonation stinks!" :lol:

ok i'm gonna keep my mouth shut becasue i don't wanna offend anyone but i've read up on scientology and...well let's just say i don't think a word of it is commendable and based on most of it's more high profile followers (the people that follow every and any fad)...yea sorry if i went to far but i could go even further but i won't :argh:

ok i'm gonna keep my mouth shut becasue i don't wanna offend anyone but i've read up on scientology and...well let's just say i don't think a word of it is commendable and based on most of it's more high profile followers (the people that follow every and any fad)...yea sorry if i went to far but i could go even further but i won't :argh:

meh ...no different than many "so called" religions in the world... just easier to poke fun at because people know John Travolta wont go crazy in your community ... :ph34r:

meh ...no different than many "so called" religions in the world... just easier to poke fun at because people know John Travolta wont go crazy in your community ... :ph34r:

haha john travolta no, but i don't want tom cruise jumping on my couch!

(my hatred of scientology is based mostly on their veiws on how woman should give birth, other then that i really couldn't care less lol)

omg that show is amazing! i liked the newest epp...that was hilarious! "oh no! someine cut the breaks on my walker!"

Did ya spend the $20 on Season I's DVD ??? Good stuff... it's so weird to see the show uncensored and WORSE (Toot + naked boobies == :puke: ) but it's soooooo damn funny!!!

My favorite was the role play session of Xandir's parents :lol:

That show is too sad for me, memories of captain girl can still bring a tear to my eye.

I was counting the seconds till that show ended... it did make me chuckle though..

Did ya spend the $20 on Season I's DVD ??? Good stuff... it's so weird to see the show uncensored and WORSE (Toot + naked boobies == :puke: ) but it's soooooo damn funny!!!

My favorite was the role play session of Xandir's parents :lol:

i sure did! my boyfriend and i are boxsets kings! lol i saw and and almost knocked over a lil kid trying to get to it lol :boogie: <---that's joy's favorite

i sure did! my boyfriend and i are boxsets kings! lol i saw and and almost knocked over a lil kid trying to get to it lol :boogie: <---that's joy's favorite

Yeah I am TOTALLY the same

All the South Parks

all the Matrix movies :clap:

the Sliders TV Show

Forever Knight (not as good as I remember it)

Transformers... yes really :P

Star Wars Original (waiting for the box on the new ones)

I even have all the Wrestlemanias !! :)