We need to sign Elias NOW

SC Devs Fan

If Patrik leaves this team will be horrific up front; Lou needs to do whatever he can to get this guys signature on an extension. I cannot fathom how bad we would be without him; when he came back it turned our season around. I know many of you feel that Elias is a 'true Devil' and will stay here, but I would be willing to bet many of you felt the same way about Nieds. I'm not sure if he said that he wouldn't listen to offers during the regular season. Don't even let him get offers from anyone else; sign him now, make him our Captain and take that worry away - please Lou!

There was talk of Nieds going to Vancouver to play closer to home for a while during the lockout. I gotta agree with you that we need to sign Elias ASAP and eliminate any chance of him going somewhere else. We've all seen how much he has turned the team around, although they have been struggling for the past week or so.

actually, there was a good feeling that neids would leave (most assumed vancouver).

people HOPED neids would stay.

people EXPECT elias to stay.

i believe that lou would sign patrik tommorow if elias asked for it, but i don't believe either wants to negotiate at this point.

With Elias firing his agent and not hiring a new one I have no worries that he will be returning to the Devils. A player doesn't go it alone when shopping himself to other teams, a player does go it alone when he is looking to save himself 10% of his contract since he is happy with his current situation.

With Elias firing his agent and not hiring a new one I have no worries that he will be returning to the Devils. A player doesn't go it alone when shopping himself to other teams, a player does go it alone when he is looking to save himself 10% of his contract since he is happy with his current situation.

As someone said above, its 4%... another way to look at it is he feels he can do it himself like Culpepper. I hope you are right but I don't think firing his agent means he stays here - any way you look at it he still has to negotiate a deal.

And what will stop Patrik from getting all he can, especially in light of his recent health woes? His loyalty to the organization? Please. In the free agency era we live in in all sports loyalty is something fans count on but players ignore. Damon to the Yanks? Holik to the Rangers? Players do what is best for them in most cases.

You're right we have no case where a player was one of Lou's guys, fired his agent, and then stayed with the team for a discount because he loved the organization. Oh wait, there is, Marty, a guy who could have made far more on the open market than he could for homself. Look at the personalities of Holik and Damon, those are me first, I want the spotlight kind of guys. Marty and Elias are team first, I want to be where I know I'm happy type of guys, they believe the best thing for them is to stay with the class organization Lou has set up. There has been no indication from Elias that he is leaving, or rumors from the rumor-mongers, while everyone thought there was good chances that Nieds, Holik, or Damon were leaving their clubs. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Anyone who thinks Patrik is staying because he is a 'true Devil' is drinking the Kool Aid :koolaid: . What happens when some other team offers him a truckload more money?

i don't think he's staying for kool aid. it's a good organization that's been good to him and he likes the area. he's not getting a "truckload more money" elsewhere. he won't see $6MM per from anyone and the devils will give him between 5 and 5.5

I already posted this but apparently only the last line of the post before was important. Elias will stay because:

"Marty and Elias are team first, I want to be where I know I'm happy type of guys, they believe the best thing for them is to stay with the class organization Lou has set up."

That is why Marty, and soon Elias, will have taken what some consider a discount to stay a Devil. I still haven't seen any evidence of Elias planning on leaving other than you perceiving him to be greedy, which I don't see from Elias.

Edited by Devils731

Jeez, I'm not saying he is greedy, I'm saying that everyone thinks he's staying because the organization has been great to him. How so? And, as an offensive talent that plays on a defense first, second and third team he might want to go to a team that is more offensive minded. Has to get frustrating seeing your team have trouble scoring and see the moves we have made this year. I'm not discounting the fact he's won it all here and its a good organization, I'm saying that assuming he's staying here to be like Marty is a dangerous assumption because if he leaves we are an AHL team up front.

If he stays, then I think Gionta and Gomez would stay as well. But due to the cap, I think someone is got to go, most likely Albelin, Kozlov and Langenbrunner. However, if the cap goes up to expected 45M range, the picture looks brighter though.

I think we all can count on Koz not being around next season, and Jamie maybe the odd man out due to the cap.

I have to be drinking the Kool Aid. If Lou gives him a fair contract, he'll be back. I know loyalty only goes so far, but when Lou offered Elias a contract even though it was known he wouldn't be back for the start of the season, Elias appreciated it a lot, and I think will show some loyalty to the Devils.

Bottoms up! :koolaid: