To all posters on this board.

Whaler

I'm sorry to announce that, due to the lack of interest by Devils fans,

the Devils Report stats site will not be renewed for next season.

Although it has been my pleasure to supply the statistics found on the web site,

http://members.cox.net/hockeystats/Devils/index.html

the interest simply is not there.

I'd like to thank the few who responded for the suggestions put forward which led

to an improved look to the main page. However, there has been almost ZERO traffic

at the site for quite a while, leading me to question the further expenditure of effort

which winds up serving no purpose.

I tried, and bombed. [grin] Wouldn't be the first time. A similar site for the

Columbus Blue Jackets lasted only 2 seasons, but I had higher hopes for the Devils'

site because the board here seemed a lot livelier. I've learned one important lesson

from this. That is, to never listen to Toesave. [grin] He's the one who asked me to

do the stats site for the Devils. I'll still be busy maintaining the original stats site

I began 8 years ago for the Carolina Hurricanes. The site gets plenty of eyeballs, and

I'll now concentrate on making it even better.

I have appreciated the (few) comments I've attracted on here, and I wish to express my

thanks for the warm welcome I feel I've had on this board.

Thank you all!!

(The site will remain through the end of the season, but not for Playoffs.)

Good luck to your team!!

I didn't even know your site existed. I must say, that is some great stuff. I wish you would keep it running but if the time/effort is too great and there isn't enough interest to keep it running then I don't blame you for shutting it down. I'll be sure to give it a look from time to time now that I know about it.

Yes and I'll be closing my Scott Stevens website due to lack of interest...

NOT. Because I do it for my own amusement :P No need to guilt anyone into visiting :evil:

See this board is active because it's one stop shopping. Does Toejam even post here? Not to be ungrateful or anything... thanks for the effort. Sorry I was one of those lame arseholes who didn't give a hoot :evil:

Yes and I'll be closing my Scott Stevens website due to lack of interest...

NOT. Because I do it for my own amusement :P No need to guilt anyone into visiting :evil:

See this board is active because it's one stop shopping. Does Toejam even post here? Not to be ungrateful or anything... thanks for the effort. Sorry I was one of those lame arseholes who didn't give a hoot :evil:

Thank you for taking the time to show this humble person the error of his ways.

You are correct. I should take the time to contemplate on why I chose to force my profit-driven enterprise on the good folks who root for the NJ Devils.

Oh, wait! There IS no profit for me for providing the service. Then surely I did it to further my own interest

in the Devils. Oops! Forgot again. I'm not a Devils fan. So why did I do it?

This might be an idea foreign to you, but it was simply to do a nice thing.

How dare I come here and inform the majority of the posters who lack your insight that the service was available? You can't imagine how grateful I am that you chose to set this interloper straight.

You've made my decision so much easier. Thank you again, kind sir.

Whaler -- I baited you I confess... YOU'RE FREAKING MILITANT THAT WE ALL LOVE YOUR SITE! RELAX!

I HATE being told what to do and I can't stand even a WHIFF of emotional blackmail. LIGHTEN UP ALREADY! You're yelling at us because we dont appreciate stuff we didn't ask for and stuff no one really knew existed. WTF?

Thank you and I'm sorry I dont have the interest you crave -- but man dont yell at me for not keeping your site alive. If you dont want something from us all then what the hell is all this posting about???

It doesn't help I've been in the nightmare boyfriend thread here today! :lol:

:argh: Passive agressive much... <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

PK, it doesn't really matter if you were baiting him or not. Bottom line is, you're exactly right. If you're running a site not because you want to but because "you're being a nice guy" or because you want the attention, you're doing it for the wrong reason. If you don't like what you're doing, eventually you'll come to your breaking point -- like Whaler just did -- and dump the whole thing. It's inevitability at its most succinct.

Whaler, it's better that you focus your energies on projects that you actually enjoy. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Whaler it is a good site, and the info is awesome. If you need a space to put it, we have more then enough hardrive and bandwith to spare. Maybe a direct link from the forum area would help with traffic.

Thanks for the kind words. Bandwidth and HD space has not been a problem. I was content when there were only 6 or 8 people visiting. At least there was some interest, and a reason for continuing. When nobody was visiting for weeks on end, I had to wonder if it was worth continuing. I never expected to be attacked for doing what was fair. That is, giving the few folks on here who did visit, the courtesy of informing them why I had come to my conclusion. Why the attempt to explain was seen by some as some sort of charity appeal to be analyzed for what my agenda might be was a total surprise to me. I believe I let it be known from the start that I was not a Devils fan, but a due-paying member of the Hartford Whalers Booster club. I'm not a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes, either, although I've maintained the Hurricanes Report for 8 years without ever having been accused of having ulterior motives. When a couple of posts were made in this thread with extremely patronizing comments (to say nothing of hostile) I was tempted to shut it down then and there. But I had already stated that I'd continue through the regular season, and I intend to fulfill that committment.

Again, I appreciate the offer of HD space, but that was never a problem.

I hope the "war of words" can now be put on the back burner.

Thanks for the added opportunity to get a few facts straight.

Best of luck in the playoffs!

Again, I appreciate the offer of HD space, but that was never a problem.

I hope the "war of words" can now be put on the back burner.

Thanks for the added opportunity to get a few facts straight.

Best of luck in the playoffs!

Ah don't mind PK, she's just being...PK. :P

Why not take up DM on his offer of linking it from here or somehow integrating it into this site? The current URL is not exactly one that is easy to remember. Even if you kept hosting it on Cox maybe an official link (not one buried in a post) would make more people aware of it and visit it more often? Why give up w/o seeking a better solution? :noclue:

And if you take DM up on his offer to link the site directly then I'll help out and offer my services of Banner creation...and throw in a few graphics to spice it up a bit.....but the sentiments of most of the posters are right...if you're doing it for anything other than the love of doing it...then there really is no point.

I think the obvious reason no one visits that site is because you have the home and away jersey colors mixed. Teams haven't worn their white at home in years.

And you are certain that THIS is the reason?

Interesting.

In fact, I'm looking into the possibility that a long tradition which I have been familiar with for decades has been changed. If I find that it is true, I will promptly make the required changes.I have NO problem accepting that a particular rule change or tradition has passed my attention.

However, I find that it is extremely difficult to accept the fact that THIS, in itself, is the reason that hockey fans of any persuassion would refrain from taking advantage of a source of information pertaining to the team they follow.

Changing the jersey colors is not a problem. Accepting that this is the reason, however, is.

ALTHOUGH

on first impression having the out-of-date uniforms on the site can also imply that the rest of the site is out-of-date too, but that's just from a technical and design stand point

....as well as fufilling my one random thread comment for the day :P

(serious comment stacked with levity ... one of many services available here and elsewhere as well B ) )

Whaler, I would take DM's offer of a direct link it would boost your traffic.

I would have no problems with a link being created to the site whatsoever.

In fact, it would be welcomed.

What I object to are the insinuations that I am seeking some sort of gain from all of this debate.

There is no gain for me in any way, shape, form, or manner!

If some stats fanatics get some satisfaction from a visit to the site, then great!

That is the sum total of its reason for being.

Indications lately have been that there is more interest than the visit counters have shown.

This is cause for further consideration. When the season has ended, a review will certainly be made.

This is only fair.

I hope that any vindictiveness which has surfaced in the meantime can be controlled.

Recent posts have indicated that many voices were never heard from.

Those voices have now been heard comments pro and con processed.

I look forward to a more rational outlook.

Maybe there IS a middle ground after all.

So just curious...have you decided for certain you are not going to continue this and nothing can change your mind?

If your mind IS made up then why not just post the message on the website itself? :noclue: Doing it this way only sparks interest and then it will be gone anyway.

I would have no problems with a link being created to the site whatsoever.

In fact, it would be welcomed.

What I object to are the insinuations that I am seeking some sort of gain from all of this debate.

There is no gain for me in any way, shape, form, or manner!

If some stats fanatics get some satisfaction from a visit to the site, then great!

That is the sum total of its reason for being.

Indications lately have been that there is more interest than the visit counters have shown.

This is cause for further consideration. When the season has ended, a review will certainly be made.

This is only fair.

I hope that any vindictiveness which has surfaced in the meantime can be controlled.

Recent posts have indicated that many voices were never heard from.

Those voices have now been heard comments pro and con processed.

I look forward to a more rational outlook.

Maybe there IS a middle ground after all.

OK, I typed the previous post at the same time.

Why are you worried about people thinking you are looking for some sort of gain from this? Everyone has their opinion.

Bottom line, if you WANT to do it then do it. If you don't then don't. Who cares what others think are your motives. The opportunity for greater exposure has been given, now it's up to you.

I concur with Sammy....If its something you love doing...then keep doing it regardless of the traffic...if you don't really like doing it then stop all together again regardless of the traffic. Everyone here has their opinions and are entitled to that especially because in one sentence you say you haven't had any traffic at all in a while but your sole purpose for starting this thread is to alert those who do go to it....just like someone else said if you really did just want to shut it down then you could have easily posted it on the top of your page and have been done with it...secondly Myself and DM have both offered services to help your website and have gotten hardly a notice while instead you would rather have replied about a person named Toe....to echo what most have said....if you want to do it....then keep doing it...if you don't....then end it and be done...no point in arguing about he said she implied they hurt my feelings stuff because that's no way to win over new fans for your site...

and that's just some friendly advice so take it for what it's worth...