Clemmensen.......

BrodeurDevils

Brodeur just signed a six year contract. Any goaltender with any ambition to play in the NHL would stay far, far away from this team. Someone that realizes that he's not going to be a #1 and enjoys picking up a half million for sitting on the bench - that's the kinda guy we need.

I think Ahonen splits ASAP. Clemmenson may stay and collect his easy cash.

I have confidence in Clemmensen as a backup. Except for one game against Pittsburgh (which wasn't really all his fault, the whole team sucked), Clemmensen has played well this season.

As far as him being a #1, no way. He doesn't have the ability, and he is also already like 28.

Brodeur just signed a six year contract. Any goaltender with any ambition to play in the NHL would stay far, far away from this team. Someone that realizes that he's not going to be a #1 and enjoys picking up a half million for sitting on the bench - that's the kinda guy we need.

I think Ahonen splits ASAP. Clemmenson may stay and collect his easy cash.

When Clemmenson heard that Brodeur got an extension, he was asked what he felt (implying that he would never be NJ's starter)... He said he was happy because it gave him job security.

I think Clemmenson knows he is not the future of the Devils... he'll be the Cory Schwab guy. A guy who can play decent while hardly ever getting in the nets. A lot of goalies can't sit cold for long, Clemmenson seems like he can handle it.

I think Ahohen is too talented to sit in that seldom used backup. I could see us trading him in the offseason to move up in the draft.

Depending how Marty ages (he could potentially play at age 41-42), I don't think any current prospects will be our starting goalie when Marty is done, unless we have Frazee play into it like a Turco/Legace roll.

When Clemmenson heard that Brodeur got an extension, he was asked what he felt (implying that he would never be NJ's starter)... He said he was happy because it gave him job security.

I think Clemmenson knows he is not the future of the Devils... he'll be the Cory Schwab guy. A guy who can play decent while hardly ever getting in the nets. A lot of goalies can't sit cold for long, Clemmenson seems like he can handle it.

I think Ahohen is too talented to sit in that seldom used backup. I could see us trading him in the offseason to move up in the draft.

Depending how Marty ages (he could potentially play at age 41-42), I don't think any current prospects will be our starting goalie when Marty is done, unless we have Frazee play into it like a Turco/Legace roll.

No one wants Ahonen. If he had any real NHL ability someone would have made a trade for him a long time ago. He can't even beat out Clemmensen, who will never be anything more than a decent backup.

If you're talking about moving up in, say, the 7th round of the draft...

Ahonen will probably make decent money as a goalie in the Finnish League. He might have NHL backup talent but it's apparent that he will never be an NHL starter. I can't see him staying in North America past this year. Too bad Ottawa had to pick Havlat one spot above us...

I think Clemmensen is a Rule VI free agent and he may test the market - still, I think he knows that he'll never be a starter in this league, and being Brodeur's backup isn't all bad. As Brodeur ages, he will get some more playing time. If the Devils lose him, they'll get some other guy who doesn't mind 10 games a year.

It's remarkable that Clemmensen is only 5 years younger than Brodeur.

No one wants Ahonen. If he had any real NHL ability someone would have made a trade for him a long time ago. He can't even beat out Clemmensen, who will never be anything more than a decent backup.

If you're talking about moving up in, say, the 7th round of the draft...

I was hoping for the 3rd or 4th round. We got Ivan Khomutov in the 3rd by trading Danton :)

Ahonen will probably make decent money as a goalie in the Finnish League. He might have NHL backup talent but it's apparent that he will never be an NHL starter. I can't see him staying in North America past this year. Too bad Ottawa had to pick Havlat one spot above us...

I think Clemmensen is a Rule VI free agent and he may test the market - still, I think he knows that he'll never be a starter in this league, and being Brodeur's backup isn't all bad. As Brodeur ages, he will get some more playing time. If the Devils lose him, they'll get some other guy who doesn't mind 10 games a year.

It's remarkable that Clemmensen is only 5 years younger than Brodeur.

Clemmer I think has a family, and he knows that backup goaltenders are LESS than a dime a dozen. If he has a team that is willing to pay him $450,000 to practice hockey and play a couple of games a year for the forseeable future, I think he'll hold onto this job. He knows he isnt going to be a starter, so I dont think he'll want to move.

1999 wasn't the deepest draft, but there's still no excuse for drafting Ahonen #1 when you had Brodeur. All the other picks stunk too. Lakos? Clouthier? You had Zetterberg go in the 7th round!

Zetter was picked only because of the Red Wings extensive european scouting, and on top of that, a LUCKY guess of which guy to pick of the ones they did scout.

Edited by aylbert

Clemmy has the perfect job. I'd kill to switch places with him. I have no idea how much he makes a year but even if it's the league minimum how can you beat working 10 days a year, relaxing on a bench watching a hockey game almost every other night and still making more money in a year than some people will see in a lifetime? :lol:

Clemmy does exactly what he needs to do, he holds down the fort when Marty cant. I think he didnt do all that bad when Marty was hurt earlier this year and he showed up big on Dano night. He's probably got job security, and hey who wouldnt want to just chill next to the rest of the guys during games?