Grahame thrown under the bus

Rock

McKenzie: Grahame thrown under the bus

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

TSN.ca Staff

4/28/2006

"Three goals on four shots. I'm getting tired of the 25 per cent rule. It's deflating.

"A save would be nice."

Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella's rip job on goaltender John Grahame after the Lightning lost to Ottawa in Game 4 Thursday was so raw, so mean-spirited, that the other Tampa bay players might be thinking, "Whoa, I might be the next guy who gets thrown under the bus."

Tortorella and Tampa Bay general manager Jay Feaster actually think this can be a rallying cry for the rest team. Yes, they've thrown Grahame under the team bus, but they've also noted that the Lightning think they have been close to the Senators in terms of generating scoring chances, but they are not close on the scoreboard - and therefore trail in the series.

Yes, they are blaming their goaltender. Well, maybe some of the players in the dressing room are also blaming the goaltender.

I wondered if Feaster might be a little bit put out that Tortorella went a little bit over the top. In fact, his reaction was quite the opposite. Feaster thought that Tortorella was actually more compassionate on Thursday than he was back in December, when he really gave it to Grahame.

Feaster noted that passion came through when Tortorella said, "Well, Johnny's trying really hard."

One that that is certainly clear - Grahame is done with the Lightning. The last question of Tortorella's post-game news conference was if Sean Burke would start in Game 5.

"Your damn right he is," Tortorella responded.

Not only is Burke getting the next start, Grahame is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and won't be back.

You want to feel bad for the guy..... but thats what happens when you are about to be eliminated in the 1st rd of the playoffs. Especially after your star goalie bolted (no pun intended) to another team in the offseason. The same goalie that led your team to a cup in the previous season.

John Tortorella is not a great coach. He is an average coach. His switch of Khabibulin for Grahame in Game 5 against New Jersey was a desperation move, and so too is this. Grahame's goals given up were not weak - Tampa just doesn't play good enough defense.

It's amazing that with the talent the Lightning had that both the ECF and Stanley Cup Finals went to 7 games. Those teams had a huge skill advantage over both the Flyers and Flames and couldn't get it done until the final tilt. I think Tortorella has the wrong system and I think he's on a short leash in Tampa.

After winning the cup in the last season, there's no way Tortorella has a short leash in Tampa. Now if his team underperforms again next season, and "underperform" is a relative term, then the scene changes.

Tampa's inevitable loss to the Senators has little to do with Grahame's play in net, though it has been kind of weak. Brodeur would not have given up all those goals, but then again, we're spoiled here in Jersey.

Tampa's gonna lose because they had the bad luck of drawing Ottawa in the first round. When you look at that team on paper, and then see them on ice, there really is no reason that team should not steam roll their way to the Cup. The team has so much talent that it shouldn't even matter if Emery has a few bad games. If he gives up 5 goals in a game, that team should score 6 or 7... and they have.

Should the Devs and Sens meet again, and I think they will, the Sens are really gonna test the Devils system again, just like they did in 2003.

Edited by Hellacious_D

I hate Tortorella. He thinks he's a badass, but once he starts losing, he blames everyone but himself, usually the goalie or the refs. He has no idea how to motivate a team.

Tampa's gonna lose because they had the bad luck of drawing Ottawa in the first round.

Bad luck? They finished 8th. Don't want to play the #1 seed in the first round, play better in the regular season.

I hate Tortorella. He thinks he's a badass, but once he starts losing, he blames everyone but himself, usually the goalie or the refs. He has no idea how to motivate a team.

Bad luck? They finished 8th. Don't want to play the #1 seed in the first round, play better in the regular season.

Touche...

After winning the cup in the last season, there's no way Tortorella has a short leash in Tampa. Now if his team underperforms again next season, and "underperform" is a relative term, then the scene changes.

Tampa's inevitable loss to the Senators has little to do with Grahame's play in net, though it has been kind of weak. Brodeur would not have given up all those goals, but then again, we're spoiled here in Jersey.

Tampa's gonna lose because they had the bad luck of drawing Ottawa in the first round. When you look at that team on paper, and then see them on ice, there really is no reason that team should not steam roll their way to the Cup. The team has so much talent that it shouldn't even matter if Emery has a few bad games. If he gives up 5 goals in a game, that team should score 6 or 7... and they have.

Should the Devs and Sens meet again, and I think they will, the Sens are really gonna test the Devils system again, just like they did in 2003.

I disagree - Tampa has just not gotten the kind of play out of St. Louis that they needed during the season, and there have been defense and goaltending issues as well. It's not 'bad luck' they drew Ottawa, they slipped into 8th place because they played a lot of lackadaisical games early. Do you remember that 8-2 shellacking we gave them when Larry Robinson was the coach? They were barely skating out there.

Tortorella is a controversial coach which is why his leash is short. If they struggle in the first thirty games he is finished. Oh, and they're not coming back this year, obviously.

this is a team that barely made the playoffs...and played that way the last month of the season.

Grahame is an average goalie, but his play has not bee that bad. I'm pretty sure he would have stopped the neil break away in the third that a cold burke botched...taking him out in the third was dumb.

:thumbsup:

SHUT YOUR YAP!

hehe

Torts is a moron. grahame hasn't been great, but he's given more effort than most of the team cough*freddy modin, darryl sydor, sarich*cough

did anybody else see the havlat goal where 4 lightning players were around havlat but didn't even make a concious effort to cover him? TERRIBLE.

this isn't even a matter of bulin sieve leaving or not, he's a slightly above average goalie who benefited off of the tampa defensive system, that is based around heavy defense around its own net to cover up for bulin's rebound issues.

grahame isn't at bulin's level, believe me i watched this guy in boston. but he's a solid 1b goaltender. he definently struggled in the regular season, but he's been decent in the post season, obviously not good enough for anything past 2nd round, but he's hardly the team's biggest problem.

st. louis and richards have played their hearts out. even lecavlieroverrated has been pretty good. the rest of the team has faltered an enormous amount. where has prospal been? and nobody bring up stillman, that guy sucks he's a consistent leclair, shanny esque playoff choker.

what it all boils down to is the fact that tort is an overrated coach who likes to yell and benefited off of a strong team. aka marc crawford part 2.

Edited by bruins4777

The Lightning never had a goalie who can carry them. Khabibulin was a joke and he just got hot in 2004. That is it!!! Graham is crying that he hates playing behind the Bulin Wall, but Grahame is not a good goalie as he proved that in Boston before. Burke would be a solid man at the very least.

Yuck -- all these coaches just -- yuck :yucky: I'm with Tri on this except I agree he's on no short leash. The Lightening doesn't know a system from a stick in the eye.. You know we harp on Lou's none moves and sticking with the Pando's -- but that's what makes for good hockey. Organizational integrity I think they call it. <_< I think we had a clue Tampa lost/never had it during this past season.

Tortorella is THE reason I want the Bolts bounced. He should point the finger at himself for the team's woes.

Listening to darren pang/Gary green to day on xm, and they think its absolute bs that torts did that. You dont single out one man to failure, and they cited the four goals scored. Why isnt richards playing up to snuff, or St. louis, vinnie and the rest of the team. They feel he lost his locker room a while ago. Grahame is at times an excellent goalie when he's on. He'd be a great back up for marty. I lost respect for the guy. Hes an a$$hole. Accountability is one thing chastising through the media is another.

"Three goals on four shots. I'm getting tired of the 25 per cent rule. It's deflating.

"A save would be nice."

:o:blink::lol::rofl:

Graham is a decent goalie!! Tort's an idiot thats the bottom line. what happened to Fedetenko?(He played juniors in Sioux City. great gossip on him :giggle: ) or Modine? Tampa is overmatched and now they throw the goalie to the wolves. what a joke! last time i checked there were 5 guys playing in front of him. their done this year but there first offseason move should be getting rid of tort.

Me and my mom laughed last night when we heard Torterella dissing him....lmao have no fear...errr uhhh SEAN BURKE? is here.....lmao!!! :doh1:

Doesn't matter what Tortorella is feeling, no reason to toss his goalie under the bus. It sends a bad message to the team and will make free agents think twice signing there.

I don't have much use for Tortorella. I never have.

The guy acts like a bad ass, has more mouth then sense, and spits garbage like this.

The one thing that you do NOT do is throw your goalie under the bus by literally tearing his heart and soul out in the media.

Tortorella is an oaf. UFAs beware.

I want to see the Bolts go down like the Titanic just so I can see Magilla implode. :rant:

Okay... so Graham won't be back next year obviously.

Who are Tampa going to make their #1? After Khabibulin bolted after suffering the same ridicule from Torts, and now this, who is going to want to come to Tampa? Even if I didn't have a no-trade clause, I'd refuse to report.

Okay... so Graham won't be back next year obviously.

Who are Tampa going to make their #1? After Khabibulin bolted after suffering the same ridicule from Torts, and now this, who is going to want to come to Tampa? Even if I didn't have a no-trade clause, I'd refuse to report.

That's assuming Tortorella stays.