May 3rd OT GT Anaheim at Calgary Game Seven

Derek21

Here's a preview:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/previews/177_3_preview.html

GAME: Anaheim Mighty Ducks at Calgary Flames.

PLAYOFF SERIES: Western Conference quarterfinals; tied 3-3.

TIME: Wednesday, 9 p.m. EDT.

In a playoff series that has featured five one-goal games, it seems fitting that the Calgary Flames and Anaheim Mighty Ducks are headed to a Game 7.

After the Ducks forced a decisive contest with one of those one-goal results Monday night, the teams meet at the Pengrowth Saddledome in the finale of the intense, hard-hitting series.

The Flames won the series opener, and the clubs have alternated victories in each game, producing two overtime contests - with each team winning once in the extra period.

Anaheim bounced back from a 3-2 loss in Game 5 that pushed it to the brink of elimination with a hard-fought 2-1 victory Monday night at the Arrowhead Pond. Scott Niedermayer scored the tiebreaking goal at 14:23 of the third period, and Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 21 shots in place of Jean-Sebastien Giguere as the Ducks stayed alive.

"We played well tonight, but we had to," Niedermayer said. "We had no choice."

Teemu Selanne scored Anaheim's first goal in the second period, but the biggest key was Bryzgalov, who got the nod to start after Giguere gave up three goals on 18 shots before being pulled for Bryzgalov early in the second in Game 5. Giguere, who earned playoff MVP honors in leading the Ducks to Game 7 of the 2003 Stanley Cup finals, has allowed an average of 3.87 goals per game during this series.

Giguere may be less than 100 percent physically, as he sat out the Ducks' 2-1 overtime loss in Game 1 because of a lower body injury. It's uncertain which goalie coach Randy Carlyle will go with Wednesday night, but he knows he has a confident player in Bryzgalov, who's made only 27 NHL starts.

"I wasn't nervous. Definitely not. It's hockey," said Bryzgalov, who has a 1.08 goal-against average in three games of this series. "Why am I supposed to be nervous? It's a game."

The Ducks and Flames lost in Game 7 in the last two Stanley Cup finals. The sting of falling just short is fresher for Calgary, which lost to Tampa Bay in the decisive game in 2004, and the Flames will try to draw energy from playing on home ice as they look to avoid another near-miss and close out the series.

"It didn't happen for us tonight and now we go to Game 7," Calgary captain Jarome Iginla said. "It's been back and forth the whole series. We go home and we're willing to do whatever it takes."

Iginla proved that Monday, dropping the gloves with Anaheim's Francois Beauchemin just 1:09 into Game 6 of a series that has seen numerous fights.

After scoring twice in both Games 4 and 5, though, Iginla was held to an assist Monday night. He leads the Flames with five goals and eight points in the playoffs.

Stephane Yelle opened the scoring Monday with a goal midway through the first period for Calgary, which got 28 saves from Miikka Kiprusoff. Niedermayer's winning goal came when his shot deflected off Calgary defenseman Rhett Warrener and past the Flames goaltender.

"We had our chances to win, but their goalie did a very good job in making the stops that he had to," said Kiprusoff, who carried the Flames to the Cup finals in 2004.

Calgary is 5-5 in Game 7s, and 2-3 at home, while Anaheim is 1-1 in Game 7s. The Ducks' loss to the New Jersey Devils in the decisive contest in 2003 came on the road.

If Calgary wins Wednesday, the third-seeded Flames will host No. 8 seed Edmonton in the conference semifinals. An Anaheim win would eliminate the last of the top four seeds in the West playoffs, and set up a matchup between the Ducks and the seventh-seeded Colorado Avalanche.

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Mighty Ducks - 98 points; 6th seed. Flames - 103 points; 3rd seed.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Mighty Ducks - Beauchemin, Niedermayer and Selanne, 2 goals and 5 points; five with 3 assists; Sean O'Donnell, 17 PIM. Flames - Iginla, 5 goals and 8 points; Daymond Langkow, 5 assists; Darren McCarty, 15 PIM.

PLAYOFF SPECIAL TEAMS: Mighty Ducks - Power play: 14.3 percent (6 for 42). Penalty killing: 84.6 percent (33 for 39). Flames - Power play: 15.4 percent (6 for 39). Penalty killing: 85.7 percent (36 for 42).

GOALTENDERS: Mighty Ducks - Bryzgalov (1-1, 1.08 GAA); Giguere (2-2, 3.88). Flames - Kiprusoff (3-3, 2.27); Brian Boucher (no appearances).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 7 Facts courtesy of nhlmedia.com:

6:50 PM EDT, 05/02/2006

Flames host Mighty Ducks in first game 7 of 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NEW YORK - The Calgary Flames host the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in Game 7 of the Western Conference Quarterfinal Wednesday (9 p.m., ET, OLN, CBC, RDS). A total of 116 series have gone to seven games since the League introduced the best-of-seven format in 1939. The home team has won 73 (63%), the visiting team 43 (37%).

Career Game 7 Player and Goaltender Statistics

Calgary GP W-L G A Pts.

Tony Amonte 4 3-1 0 2 2

Shean Donovan 2 2-0 0 0 0

Andrew Ference 3 2-1 1 0 1

Roman Hamrlik 2 1-1 0 2 2

Jarome Iginla 2 1-1 2 1 3

Chuck Kobasew 2 1-1 0 0 0

Daymond Langkow 1 0-1 0 0 0

Mike Leclerc 1 0-1 0 0 0

Jordan Leopold 2 1-1 0 2 2

Matthew Lombardi 1 1-0 0 1 1

Bryan Marchment 4 2-2 0 0 0

Darren McCarty 3 2-1 0 0 0

Marcus Nilson 2 1-1 0 0 0

Robyn Regehr 2 1-1 0 0 0

Chris Simon 1 0-1 0 0 0

Rhett Warrener 4 2-2 0 0 0

Stephane Yelle 9 5-4 0 3 3

Calgary Goaltenders

Miikka Kiprusoff (1-1)

Date Score Dec. Shots

4/19/04 CGY 3 at VAN 2 (OT) Win 28

6/7/04 CGY 1 at T.B. 2 Loss 15

Brian Boucher (0-1)

Date Score Dec. Shots

5/26/00 N.J. 2 at PHI 1 Loss 18

Calgary Head Coach

Darryl Sutter (3-2)

Date Score Dec.

5/19/95 TOR 2 at CHI 5 Win

4/25/00 S.J. 3 at STL 1 Win

5/15/02 S.J. 0 at COL 1 Loss

4/19/04 CGY 3 at VAN 2 (OT) Win

6/7/04 CGY 1 at T.B. 2 Loss

Calgary Flames in Game 7 (5-5)

4/26/81, Quarterfinal vs. Philadelphia (CGY 4 at PHI 1)

4/22/84, Smythe Division Final vs. Edmonton (CGY 4 at EDM 7)

4/30/86, Smythe Division Final vs. Edmonton (CGY 3 at EDM 2)

5/14/86, Campbell Conference Final vs. St. Louis (STL 1 at CGY 2)

4/15/89, Smythe Division SF vs. Vancouver (VAN 3 at CGY 4, OT)

4/16/91, Smythe Division SF vs. Edmonton (EDM 5 at CGY 4, OT)

4/30/94, Western Conference QF vs. Vancouver (VAN 4 at CGY 3, 2OT)

5/19/95, Western Conference QF vs. San Jose (S.J. 5 at CGY 4, 2OT)

4/19/04, Western Conference QF vs. Vancouver (CGY 3 at VAN 2, OT)

6/7/04, Stanley Cup Final vs. Tampa Bay (CGY 1 at T.B. 2)

Anaheim GP W-L G A Pts.

Jeff Friesen 4 4-0 4 0 4

Todd Marchant 2 2-0 2 1 3

Jason Marshall 3 3-0 0 1 1

Rob Niedermayer 2 1-1 0 0 0

Scott Niedermayer 7 4-3 0 3 3

Sean O'Donnell 3 1-2 0 0 0

Samuel Pahlsson 1 0-1 0 0 0

Ruslan Salei 1 0-1 0 0 0

Teemu Selanne 2 1-1 0 0 0

Vitaly Vishnevski 1 0-1 0 0 0

Anaheim Goaltenders

J-S Giguere (0-1)

Date Score Dec. Shots

6/9/03 ANA 0 at N.J. 3 Loss 25

Anaheim Head Coach

Randy Carlyle (0-0)

Anaheim Mighty Ducks in Game 7 (1-1)

4/29/97, Western Conference QF vs. Phoenix (PHX 0 at ANA 3)

6/9/03, Stanley Cup Final vs. New Jersey (ANA 0 at N.J. 3)

Notes:

* Calgary C Stephane Yelle will become just the second active NHL player with as many as 10 career Game 7 appearances, joining Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Greg de Vries (10).

* Anaheim LW Jeff Friesen tallied a pair of goals in his most recent Game 7 appearance, notching the second and third goals of the New Jersey Devils' 3-0 victory against the Mighty Ducks in the 2003 Stanley Cup Final (6/9/03).

* Of the 116 series in League playoff history that have gone to seven games, 29 have been decided in overtime. Home teams have posted a 15-14 record in the 29 games, although road clubs are 10-4 since 1990. There has been a Game 7 overtime in 18 of the past 22 seasons.

* Anaheim C Todd Marchant is one of the 29 players in NHL history who have scored in overtime of Game 7. Marchant's goal gave the Edmonton Oilers a 4-3 series victory over the Dallas Stars in the 1997 Western Conference Quarterfinals (4/29/97).

I know anything can happen but who honestly thinks that even if the Ducks win tonite that they'd make it far enough to have their name "etched on the Cup"?

I don't think they will make it far enough. I should have stressed EVER. Doesn't have to be this year just not in any year.

I don't think they will make it far enough. I should have stressed EVER. Doesn't have to be this year just not in any year.

I didn't really aim that question at you specifically but either way if they're going to change their name (as rumored) I wouldn't have any issues with it.

I would usually want the Flames to win but I am in a big playoff pool and I took a lot of Ducks players...so go Ducks!

Wow, a Canadian rooting against a Canadian team (other than Toronto)...and for personal gain no less! :o:evil:

You know what I said above about staying up and watching the whole game. Well, I don't think I'm gonna make it. This game is so boring it's putting me to sleep. There aren't any chances at either end.

You can really see why Calgary had the least goals of any playoff team. Most of their goals are ugly goalmouth scrambles and lucky bounces. But other than that, they have no offensive creativity and it shows.

Ducks haven't shown much effort either except for that one rush by Wobbie. Selanne has been invisible.

Edited by Don

So I live in Iowa, and rather than showing the game OLN is showing legends of hockey?!?! They flash across the bottom of the screen that the game is blacked out! Would anyone know why this is? This sucks I was looking forward to watching this game.