Devils to Purchase the Trenton Titans

jkrdevil

Someone posted this at HF. In the BRIEFS section of an article on northjersey.com it mentions the Devils are close to purchasing the Trenton Titans of the ECHL.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Maybe this is to clear a possible roadblock to movng the Lowell Devils to Trenton in a few years?

That's what this is all about. Don't know why so many people said this wouldn't happen. Vanderbeek specifically said at the fan club meeting last April that he wanted the Devils minor league team to be within 60 miles of the Devils. Trenton is what, 60 miles from Newark? Toms River didn't go through, this was the next best thing. Now they don't have to build another new arena and you're spreading Devils hockey further south in Jersey. As it is now Titans games are about 55% Devils fans, 35% Flyers fans, and 10% Ranger fans. I always enjoyed going down there for games and will be there for their 8th home opener next month.

This would be pretty cool. I wouldn't feel weird about being a Titans fan anymore if they were affiliated with the Devils. The only bummer would be that they'd have a new roster.

Would it be possible for Vanderbeek to make the Titans their AHL team and Lowell an ECHL team since he wants their AHL affiliate to be within 60 miles?

What Toms River thing??? I don't keep up much from the minor league standpoint but I'm literally 5 minutes from Toms River...

Not sure what they exactly had in mind for Toms River, but Vanderbeek mentioned Lakewood and Toms River when talking about having a minor league team in New Jersey. I know Lakewood fell through. He said he was sick of going to LBI and seeing Flyer hats walking all over the place. I'm pretty sure the Devils have a 2 year deal with Lowell which I think is a decent amount of time to buy the Titans, open the new arena in Newark, and then move Lowell down to Trenton. Let the Titans get 10 years under their belts in Trenton and ship them down to AC or somewhere else in the region to be our ECHL team, something we don't have now. I know AC failed in the past because it was just a horrendous place to go to if you were local...

This would be pretty cool. I wouldn't feel weird about being a Titans fan anymore if they were affiliated with the Devils. The only bummer would be that they'd have a new roster.

Would it be possible for Vanderbeek to make the Titans their AHL team and Lowell an ECHL team since he wants their AHL affiliate to be within 60 miles?

I agree. And that is a very interesting point about AHL/ECHL switch.

The Devils don't own the Lowell arena, just the team. I would imagine that the Devils will fold/sell the ECHL franchise. I guess it could be Lowell but I would imagine they would rather try to lure another AHL team.

Look at Worcester. After the Ice Cats (AHL) left they could have had an ECHL team but decided to continue to try to get an AHL team and they did.

Look at Worcester. After the Ice Cats (AHL) left they could have had an ECHL team but decided to continue to try to get an AHL team and they did.

There was a reason why that ECHL offer for Worcester was refused. There are already seven other AHL locations in New England. Worcester is in the center of it all. The closest ECHL location from Worcester was, IIRC, Atlantic City (before they moved to Cali). It would be bad business if the ECHL came to Worcester because of both travel costs, and how the "EC" is a lower level than the "A." That would be the same issue if the ECHL came to Lowell.

What Toms River thing??? I don't keep up much from the minor league standpoint but I'm literally 5 minutes from Toms River...

It was Lakewood not TR

If they are successful at buying the Titans, is it possible that they would move Lowell to Tranton and they would share the arens w/ the Titans??