NOW YOU CAN DIE AGAIN!

Rock

NOW YOU CAN DIE AGAIN!

By LARRY BROOKS

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10012006/sport...ooks.htm?page=0

October 1, 2006 -- SLAP SHOTS

THE past two Stanley Cup Finals each featured a small-market team from the southeast United States defeating a small-market team from western Canada in a seven-game series. The first came under a collective bargaining agreement which contained no salary cap, the second under a CBA that contains the most restrictive cap of the modern sports era.

Five different teams have won the past five Cups, which means the NHL is tracking its parity on a course equal to the '90s, when six different teams won championships in the six years from 1992 through '97.

Then, of course, marquee teams with star power were capturing titles and the imagination of the U.S. sports public. Then, on either side of the first lockout, teams filled with recognizable future Hall of Famers were winning championships, remaining intact for repeat runs and challenges, setting the bar for their competition in the way that a rising tide lifts all boats. But that was before Sixth Avenue became obsessed with establishing a lowest common denominator for the league and its teams. That was before the fall.

The NHL may have its most appealing product in more than a decade, but not by definition. For this appealing product somehow appealed to fewer people than ever, if TV ratings are the measurement by which all leagues live. But have no fear. The league in which all games have a winner but nearly a quarter of them don't have a loser is about to be saved from itself for the second time in 12 years by its most important and most loathed franchise. The small-market league is going bright lights and Broadway again.

The NHL will rest in peace no more. The Rangers are on their way to another parade up the Canyon of Heroes, this time 41 years ahead of schedule.

Our lightning elimination round eliminates more teams than the Lightning, but it sure is ironic, isn't it, that this small-market champion became the first victim of the cap that penalizes success regardless of geography. The question in Atlanta - Bobby Holik and Steve Rucchin in the middle; we must have missed the punch line - is whether GM Don Waddell or head coach Bob Hartley will pay first with his job when the Thrashers miss again. The Islanders will compete harder than they did last season and, with both Miro Satan and Viktor Kozlov, may never lose a shootout, but will remain adrift. That is better than capsizing.

Boston will be better and better organized, but its goaltending isn't close to good enough. Florida is a joke franchise with a GM/coach in Jacques Martin who has never met a talent he hasn't tried to suppress. It would have been interesting had Pittsburgh and Washington actually tried to attract formidable support people for the glittering Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. It will be as interesting to watch the league attempt to sell itself by marketing players who work for teams that have virtually no chance to be in the playoffs; in other words, this isn't exactly Magic and Bird.

Colorado and Detroit, the glamour teams of the old CBA era, are commoners now, neither with much chance of winning, each likely to lose customers and corresponding cache. There isn't much sadder than Hockeytown believing in 155-pound Dom Hasek, is there? St. Louis is years away, Chicago doesn't count; Phoenix doesn't look like any team for which Wayne Gretzky would have enjoyed playing; L.A. is building very smartly; and Vancouver got the goalie a couple of years too late.

We'll be curious which excuses Doug MacLean makes this time when Columbus struggles; Dallas is no longer among the elite; and, given fair talent, isn't it finally time for Jacques Lemaire to be in the mix to actually win something in Minnesota? Edmonton, which crunched the numbers hard and well, looks like a one-and-done finalist, anyway.

No GM has benefited more from family than Brian Burke, who acquired Scott Niedermayer (the world's best player if Jaromir Jagr isn't) and Chris Pronger in successive summers because of familial tugs, though of different natures. Nashville has kept its work ethic while acquiring talent, and Calgary remains as tough to play and score upon as anyone. These are the three best teams in the West - San Jose a meter behind - that stand in the way of a fourth consecutive Eastern champion.

The Hurricanes were as determined to remove Oleg Tverdovsky's $5M over the next two seasons from the books as they were to trade Jack Johnson for immediate help on defense, and that is why the Rangers - and numerous other clubs - backed off. Carolina will be good again, so will Buffalo and so will Ottawa. The Flyers have an abundance of ability of up front, less so in the back, and what else is new? The Devils, as usual, will stand in the way of anyone serious about winning.

Which the Rangers are, from the front office to the coaching staff, from King Henrik of, no, not Sweden, but now of Broadway, to the pre-eminent Jagr. The Rangers added winners to their lineup this summer. They have young players who are likely to emerge over the course of the year. The roster - and ice time - in March is likely to be significantly different than the one that opens the season.

And there is the approximate $5 million of cap space and overflow of attractive prospects with which the team has to work at the trade deadline. In other words, when John Davidson seeks to move Keith Tkachuk, St. Louis will be dialing 212, not 911.

The Rangers will be going for a ride. Once again, the league is welcome to hop on their backs. If that doesn't upset its small-market strategy.

Think this article is BS or not...I woudl love to know how the Devils are going to be better? Who exactly on that team is getting better? Is Gionta going to score 60?

BG, I think the Devils will be better than the Rangers, although it's way too early to say for sure. I'm not a big believer in the Ranger defense corps and I'd be a little worried about Jagr's surgically repaired shoulder. Malik and Roszival .... eh.

Yeah, that Ranger defense drives fear around the NHL. They are improved slightly from last year, but not by leaps and bounds. There are way too many question marks and I can think of atleast three teams in the east that have a better chance at winning the cup then the Rangers.

As for having a boat load of prospects they can trade to shore up their defense and maybe add a veteran winger, considering the fact they are Ranger prospects. That alone should make any GM question their value. Considering if you look back at all of the once highly praised future stars that have flopped.

It should still be an interesting year for them.

Edited by E-Devil

BG, I think the Devils will be better than the Rangers, although it's way too early to say for sure. I'm not a big believer in the Ranger defense corps and I'd be a little worried about Jagr's surgically repaired shoulder. Malik and Roszival .... eh.

You certainly may be correct, but I just do not see how the devils (not judged against anyone else, just judged against themselves) are getting better. Their guys are what they are, Gomez is a top player, but I will he be going to that next level (35-40 goals, 70-75 assists)? Also, with Gionta I'd like to find out what he is as well. Is he is a 20-25 goal guy who absolutely had a career year, or will he be 45-50? I think we would all agree somewhere in the middle, but we do not know. (As an aside, really interested in his deal...because if it is for more than 1 year, some assumption there will be made. Is Gionta a 4-5 mil player or a 3-3.5, something like that?)

Then you have a guy like Brodeur. As long as he is there and playing 65-70 games the Devils will be a quality team, but as good as he is...he is not getting any better. Langenbruner is a nice player...but again, is he getting any better? Doubt it, he is what he is.

If you want to compare the two teams...I'd say they are extemely similar. 82 games means more than 4, however because of those the Devils certainly get the nod..but I feel the Devils are what they are (pretty much maxed out) while the Rangers in a similar class are still on the way up becaue of some additions and a few key young players in prominent roles who are still getting better.

I think the question is whether they might improve vs. the team we saw on the ice vs. Carolina. Because if we just say vs. last year, then you can probably say yes, they will, simply by virtue of having Elias all year (and a completely healthy Elias, since he did actually hit the wall for a bit there after he came back). Plus, I can't imagine that whatever D they put out there could somehow be worse than having Malakhov & McGillis when they were there, plus the few months that it took Matvichuck to adjust (although he was fine after he adjusted). Overall, I think the team will be better, over a full season, than it was last year, at least more cosistent or the whole season.

The keys to improvement seem to be this:

What kind of step does Parise take in his second year in the NHL?

How much more does Paul Martin develop during the season (after he signs, of course)? Remember that Martin, since he could not play in the minors, and did not play in Europe, literally missed a year of development during the lockout. What will NJ get from him this season?

Who is the second line center, and where does that leave the second line, offensively?

You certainly may be correct, but I just do not see how the devils (not judged against anyone else, just judged against themselves) are getting better.

I think having Elias for a whole season (hopefully) has a lot of Devils fans very optimistic, including me.

Sue, good mention of Parise. I expect improvement from him. He progressed during the season last year, a good sign.

I think the Rangers are going to surprise a lot of people again, but they are missing some key elements in a Stanley Cup run.

I also don't think this version of the Rangers is anywhere close to the 94 Rangers in terms of being loved by fans nationwide or capitvating the nation - how many of these guys played for the Rangers in October 2004, even?

Then, of course, marquee teams with star power were capturing titles and the imagination of the U.S. sports public. Then, on either side of the first lockout, teams filled with recognizable future Hall of Famers were winning championships, remaining intact for repeat runs and challenges, setting the bar for their competition in the way that a rising tide lifts all boats. But that was before Sixth Avenue became obsessed with establishing a lowest common denominator for the league and its teams. That was before the fall.

Brooks is arguing for a baseball style NHL where the Rangers make the playoffs every year just like the Yankees. You know my disgust for baseball where the Blue Jays don't have a chance competing against the like of the Yankees. I think just about every team in the league should have a decent shot at winning it all, it shouldn't be biased towards the bigger markets, as Brooks seems be saying above.

Edited by Don