Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msweet

Devils notebook

12 posts in this topic

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Monday, February 26, 2007

Tight-lipped Lou

As usual, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello isn't saying much about what he might do before the NHL's 3 p.m. trade deadline Tuesday. Lamoriello always is looking for veteran help on defense.

But the Devils have little room under the salary cap, so that probably will limit Lamoriello to making a minor depth move -- if any trade at all.

"We have to feel that whatever we do is better than what we might have in our farm system that can fill the role of taking a certain number of minutes," he said. "Sometimes you've got the best situation right in front of you. And you've got to look at what the price is, too."

Lucky Lukowich

Devils defenseman Brad Lukowich was fortunate not to be seriously injured when he was struck in the right side of the jaw with the puck with 32 seconds left in the second period. In a play similar to the one in which John Madden suffered an 11-stitch cut two weeks before, Lukowich deflected a Brian Sutherby pass attempt with his stick blade up into his face.

Lukowich immediately dropped to the ice, but was fortunate not to be cut and returned to play in the third period.

"Initially, it felt like someone punched me in the jaw," he said. "Some days you're lucky and some days you're not. [sunday} I was lucky."

Riding the rails

Snow and icy rain in Washington forced the Devils to take the train back to Newark. ... Rookie center Rod Pelley played his second game in a row since being called up from Lowell, filling in as the fourth-line center for Jim Dowd, a healthy scratch.

Lamoriello said Pelley was called up to give him some NHL experience before Tuesday. After that, teams are allowed four call-ups other than injury-related moves.

-- Tom Gulitti

I'd rather see Tallakson be part of a deal then Palley. Pelley can take Dowds place next year.

Lukowich was very lucky he didn't get what Madden got. I do not think a visor would have saved Lukowich here as he was hit in the jaw. Good thing he is ok and will play Tuesday night.

"Lamoriello said Pelley was called up to give him some NHL experience before Tuesday. After that, teams are allowed four call-ups other than injury-related moves."

Do we really believe this?

I don't know what Lou would hope to achieve by dealing Rod Pelley, in any deal. He seems like the kind of piece that's far more valuable to keep than deal away.

"Lamoriello said Pelley was called up to give him some NHL experience before Tuesday. After that, teams are allowed four call-ups other than injury-related moves."

Do we really believe this?

So possibly Dowd is on his way out of new jersey once again? maybe Lou is looking at Pelley and Dowd for someone in a trade? Possibly Hale too.

So possibly Dowd is on his way out of new jersey once again? maybe Lou is looking at Pelley and Dowd for someone in a trade? Possibly Hale too.

I doubt Dowd is going anywhere. Hale and Pelley are much more likely to be traded.

Then Dowd must be in Julien's doghouse or something. Maybe Lou is just show casing Pelley that was mentioned before and Pelley could be in a trade. If Hale and Pelley go in a trade I hope it is not for Berard. A veteran D-man would be the way to go here.

Then Dowd must be in Julien's doghouse or something. Maybe Lou is just show casing Pelley that was mentioned before and Pelley could be in a trade. If Hale and Pelley go in a trade I hope it is not for Berard. A veteran D-man would be the way to go here.