RYAN SMYTH TO ISLES??

jkrdevil

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Oilers do not bring back Ryan Smyth...this trade is a disgrase...complete disgrase...

I think Oilers fans are starting to get tired of hearing about 'what if's"

Smyth was the face of the franchise and they $hould pony up the $ for him.

If the Oilers do not bring back Ryan Smyth...this trade is a disgrase...complete disgrase...

I think Oilers fans are starting to get tired of hearing about 'what if's"

Smyth was the face of the franchise and they $hould pony up the $ for him.

Don't worry Smyth will be back in Edmonton after July 1st. He does not want to be an Islander.

Hit rumor on Sabres site indicate that the Sabres were very close to landing Smyth but they would not part with Drew Stafford.

Di$$apointing.

Don't worry Smyth will be back in Edmonton after July 1st. He does not want to be an Islander.

Link? Proof?

Smyth going back to Edmonton is crazy talk. He didn't want to get traded. The Oilers slapped him in the face. They gave new deals to Hemsky, Roloson and Horcoff this off season and not Smyth.

Smyth was the face of the franchise and he was insulted. He is not going back to Edmonton.

BINGO.

I don't think they got that much. The prospects they got will not turn into anything special at all and 1st round draft picks this year have barely any value at all.

I think this is a great deal for the Isles.

A 1st round pick from the Islanders has more value than the ones being thrown around by most other clubs. Nilsson has solid skills - whether he can put it all together remains to be seen. O'Marra hasn't been terrific in the OHL, but who knows.

It's more of an indictment of the subpar drafting of Mike Milbury than anything else.

It's hardly a 'great deal' for the Islanders - they gave up their best prospects for 20-30 games of a solid LW. Their chances for winning a Stanley Cup or contending are small. It may be a bad deal for both teams - but I doubt it.

And to the sucker who signs Ryan Smyth to that 5 year deal this off-season - good luck.

Yea nice move by the Isles, Smyth gives it his all but its all over TSN that he is not happy and did not want to go to the Isles.

Nonetheless, the Isles are still a first round exit if they even make it.

No team with Rick DiPietro in net should scare anyone.

No chance in hell he goes back to Edmonton after this either.

Edited by ghdi

If signing Ryan Smyth to a deal like that is bad.

Then the Patrik Elias deal is a disgrace.

Smyth is basically the heart and soul guy of that team, as opposed to Elias is who is second in line behind Brodeur. Smyth can play forward on my team any day of the week.

It's style of play that is the issue. Players tend to have a lot of trouble sustaining Smyth's style of play when they get older. They tend to start getting hurt a lot and often have nagging injuries that bring down their effectiveness when they do play. Seeing as Smyth has had these problem in the past they will probably start accelerating and happen more often.

If signing Ryan Smyth to a deal like that is bad.

Then the Patrik Elias deal is a disgrace.

Smyth is basically the heart and soul guy of that team, as opposed to Elias is who is second in line behind Brodeur. Smyth can play forward on my team any day of the week.

Hey, great. That's terrific. Can he play on your team in 5 years when his broken down body is lucky to get in 50 games, and will have trouble scoring 15 goals in those games?

Patrik Elias is a finesse forward who typically age far better. I guarantee Elias is playing in far more games and scoring many more goals than Ryan Smyth in 4 years.

How did Cam Neely, Bill Guerin, Todd Bertuzzi, John Leclair, Kevin Stevens, and Tim Kerr fare after their 31st birthdays?

That year off may help Smyth, but he's taken a lot of abuse in front of the net - and it piles up. It certainly has in the past for almost every power forward out there.

It's style of play that is the issue. Players tend to have a lot of trouble sustaining Smyth's style of play when they get older. They tend to start getting hurt a lot and often have nagging injuries that bring down their effectiveness when they do play. Seeing as Smyth has had these problem in the past they will probably start accelerating and happen more often.

That's a gamble, I understand. But, You dont think we took a gamble with Elias? Even if you disregard the hepatitis issue, you need to recognize that Elias plays in a division and conference that still adheres to significantly more physical play.

I just think Edmonton had an opportunity to make a deal. From everything I heard about Smyth, he was pretty open and willing to negotiate on Edmonton's terms.

Maybe Lowe is deciding to do a full rebuild.

That's a gamble, I understand. But, You dont think we took a gamble with Elias? Even if you disregard the hepatitis issue, you need to recognize that Elias plays in a division and conference that still adheres to significantly more physical play.

I just think Edmonton had an opportunity to make a deal. From everything I heard about Smyth, he was pretty open and willing to negotiate on Edmonton's terms.

Maybe Lowe is deciding to do a full rebuild.

Yes, we took a gamble - but not really. Hepatitis is no longer an issue. This conference is not the more physical one anymore - the Sabres, Devils, Senators, Penguins, and Hurricanes are largely finesse teams.

Tearing down Edmonton doesn't make much sense - but there's a lot of forwards avaliable this offseason. He could take a run at any one of them. He could try to sign Bertuzzi to a discounted, incentive laden deal. He's given himself more assets - and hasn't locked himself into a bad contract, which Smyth's will almost inevitably be, given his injury history. I recognize he's a heart and soul player, and the Devils really lack a guy like that who can hit and score - but the cost of signing them while UFA is often too great.

Hey, great. That's terrific. Can he play on your team in 5 years when his broken down body is lucky to get in 50 games, and will have trouble scoring 15 goals in those games?

Patrik Elias is a finesse forward who typically age far better. I guarantee Elias is playing in far more games and scoring many more goals than Ryan Smyth in 4 years.

How did Cam Neely, Bill Guerin, Todd Bertuzzi, John Leclair, Kevin Stevens, and Tim Kerr fare after their 31st birthdays?

That year off may help Smyth, but he's taken a lot of abuse in front of the net - and it piles up. It certainly has in the past for almost every power forward out there.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But Im saying you cant categorically insinuate that hes going to fall apart and not give you value in a deal like that. Theres no way in hell Elias is going to even come close to giving us even 80% value on his contract. I understand why Lou did it, but it was assinine nonetheless.

Also, Elias might actually have some more production if he tried to get in front of the net, rather than faking a slapshot and wristing the puck harmlessly into the goalies chest. I love Patrik, but he shies away from driving towards the net a little too much.

Smyth is not a power forward like any of the guys Tri listed, so you can't compare. He's fast, he's got good instincts in front of the net, a good shot, and he's fearless. He's not a reckless bang and crash player like Neely and Leclair. He has at least 3 more good seasons.