Leafs have balls. Do we?

dmitri

Remember the Domi elbow to Niedermeyers head a few years ago?

Not comparing the plays at all...but lets just say these things have a way of coming full circle.

What, like hockey karma? What will the Devils suffer for this? and when?

When I see the Leafs playing any other team than the Devils, I root for the Leafs. Why? Because that team has balls and they are exciting to watch. Sometimes they play on pure determination, they crash the net, create havoc, and a lot of times it works. A lot of times they simply outwill a more polished, higher-ranked, and talented opposition (hello, Ottawa!). They actually remind me of some Devils teams of years past who also lacked talent and firepower, but still won.

With the departure of Stevens, Daneyko, McKay, Holik, Arnott, Lemieux, do we have enough mean SOBs on our team to be able to intimidate the opposition like we used to and not get pushed around? I somehow often get the feeling that no, we do not. The only intimidating defenseman we have is White; the only "power forward" is Rupp (sorry, I can't call Elias or Gomez a "power forward"). Last night, the Devils got pushed around in the third by the Leafs team who did not even have Tucker and Belak on the ice... I hope the Devils are tougher than they looked last night. We'll find out in five weeks or so.

As for the Janssen's hit -- yeah, it was late; Cam should have at least slowed down. And to think that out of all the people we hate on the Leafs, like the knee-hunting cheap-shot scumbag Tucker, we put a likable Kaberle in the hospital. Or why can't it be Hollweg, Kasparaitis, or Hatcher in other games? Cam, there are plenty of guys who actually deserve to have their heads knocked off and who caused injury to some Devils players -- try to aim for those.

• 1 month later...
With the departure of Stevens, Daneyko, McKay, Holik, Arnott, Lemieux, do we have enough mean SOBs on our team to be able to intimidate the opposition like we used to and not get pushed around? I somehow often get the feeling that no, we do not. The only intimidating defenseman we have is White; the only "power forward" is Rupp (sorry, I can't call Elias or Gomez a "power forward"). Last night, the Devils got pushed around in the third by the Leafs team who did not even have Tucker and Belak on the ice... I hope the Devils are tougher than they looked last night. We'll find out in five weeks or so.

Last night had nothing to do with 'guts' though, if Marty stops those two ridiculously soft goals (the 1st and 3rd) we're sitting here after a 2-1 win, outshooting the Lightning 32-24 and having a 2-1 series lead.

And the Leafs really showed guts missing the playoffs for the second straight year, didn't they?

Edited by Hasan4978

Last night had nothing to do with 'guts' though, if Marty stops those two ridiculously soft goals (the 1st and 3rd) we're sitting here after a 2-1 win, outshooting the Lightning 32-24 and having a 2-1 series lead.

And the Leafs really showed guts missing the playoffs for the second straight year, didn't they?

Brodeur was awful, but there's a determination that's necessary to win in the NHL playoffs that is missing from the Devils right now.

I know one thing. I just can't listen to the Devil players talk about bounces and breaks. It's BS.

Obviously it was a sign of things to come.....not good.

Looking at those mid 90's to early 2000 teams, we were spoiled with the ability to watch a gritty team that had the ability to back it up. Brian Rafalski's half-hearted attempt at coming to the aid of Brylin after the hit early last night doesn't exactly send a message...if it does, I don't know what the message is.

Rhetorical question......if Cam Janssen is in the lineup last night, does Paul Ranger keep that in the back of his mind? probably not. After falling in love with this team way back when BECAUSE of their ability to play as nasty as anyone in the league, watching them be pushed around by a team that's not even known for it's physical play is absolutely gut wrenching.

Rhetorical question......if Cam Janssen is in the lineup last night, does Paul Ranger keep that in the back of his mind? probably not. After falling in love with this team way back when BECAUSE of their ability to play as nasty as anyone in the league, watching them be pushed around by a team that's not even known for it's physical play is absolutely gut wrenching.

No but he would of payed for it and sometimes that is what needs to be done.

Rupp would of been the only choice to send a message but that never happened. :(

seriously stop crying about a hit. :evilcry: everyone else here is right, why didn't your guys go after him? the leafs are garbage, so go root for them. by the way, i was watching the nashville game last night and saw arnott. one of my favs, but we have so many good players on this time, there's not reason why we shouldn't make it past this round. none.