Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devils731

Gretzky's OHL scoring record eclipsed by Tavares

12 posts in this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2802292

A Wayne Gretzky record has fallen. No, not his NHL-record 894 goals or 2,856 career points. The Great One's mark of most goals in a season in the Ontario Hockey League by a 16-year-old is now finished.

Oshawa Generals player John Tavares broke Gretzky's record with two goals Friday night against the Ottawa 67's to give him 71 on the season, breaking Gretzky's record of 70.

''It was pretty excited when I saw the puck go in. It was nice to finally get it,'' Tavares told the Canadian Press.

''It takes a bit of pressure off myself. I've been holding my stick a little tight the last couple games. Now I'm going to enjoy this with my teammates and my family.''

Tavares could increase his total since the Generals still have two games left in their season.

Holly hell !!!!!!!!!

When is he draft eligable???

Holly hell !!!!!!!!!

When is he draft eligable???

Edited by Triumph

Not to take ANYTHING, and I mean, ANYTHING away from Tavares, but he's had one advantage that Gretzky didn't. They changed the rules to let him into the OHL at the age of 15 (so he holds the record for most goals by a 15 year old as well, as he's the ONLY one to play in the O at 15).

Of course, you could say that if Gretzky was as good as Tavares, someone would have forced through an exception for Wayne to play in the OHL at 15.

WOW! I guess many of Gretzky's records will fall. That one was a suprise though to hear.

Except the record that really doesn't get broken which also has to happen eventually.

I don't care how good Tavares is - Gretzky's assist records are not going anywhere, and his single-season goal record probably isn't either. The NHL will never be that wide open without serious alterations to the rules.

I don't care how good Tavares is - Gretzky's assist records are not going anywhere, and his single-season goal record probably isn't either. The NHL will never be that wide open without serious alterations to the rules.

That, and Gretzky was playing against the worst division in hockey ever. LA Kings, Jets, ugly V jersey Canucks and even the Flames sucked back then. It took a colossal number of rare factors that lead to those records, a coincidence never likely to happen again.

They showed some clips of Tavares on Coach's Corner this weekend. He looked pretty impressive, even at 15 and in low-def.

Whichever record is made or broken, there are always extenuating circumstances that made it possible. Just as the circumstances will never be exactly the same for anyone as it was for Gretzky, a brand new set of circumstances will someday allow another player to break his records.

Any record is made to be broken and does not matter who the player is. There will be some of Gretzky's records that will be tough to beat and might take a long while to do so.