Scott Stevens voted 6th best defense man of all time

wallerstein

Stevens currently stands in sixth place in the ranking Best NHL defense man of all time on rankopedia. The leaders are Orr, Bourque and Lidstrom, in that order.

Lidstrom is a great player, but is NOT as impactful as Stevens. Lidstrom lived and died because he had Yzerman, Shanahan, et. al to make him look better.

Stevens shouldered the burden by himself.

Biggest difference: Stevens could turn a game, series, season by sheer will, Lidstrom could not.

Lidstrom is a great player, but is NOT as impactful as Stevens. Lidstrom lived and died because he had Yzerman, Shanahan, et. al to make him look better.

Biggest difference: Stevens could turn a game, series, season by sheer will, Lidstrom could not.

Agreed. Stevens belongs in the top 3 of all-time.

Insane. i dont feel like taking the time to sort of get my head around the whole thing but this list was made by youngsters who watched tape not the actual players -- or else the old farts have short memories. or people who read up on things and get a general feel -- the list just feels ill considered and uninformed -- as most do.

What sucks is that this tells me time does not tell a thing... word of mouth pretty much says it all -- and that comes down to hype, personal awards and mile stones reached.

EDITTED IN LATER :blush:

well OK... :) See I feel like yeah -- i missed Coffey's heyday but I just dont care for him. i dont care for Chelios. I think they're a$$holes and it's counts against them in the ranking for me :evil:

Lidstrom is technical impecable - he is wonderful - but the lack of passion- or worse yet his perfectly balanced passion :yucky: leaves me cold - I just say hmmm, that's nice at the end of the day. I'd put him at #1 probably though just because he's perfect.

Bourque - hmeh - he is what he is. He's fine, you know? I dont think he'd even make my top 5 though :noclue:

Orr he's great and all - but :noclue: I'm seriously lame and I've said it before -- the man was so BLATANTLY physically fallable ... :giggle: I'm an a$$hole what can I say :evil: I'd give him #2 just because I think I'm tainted aversely by everyone's loving him so much.

Larry vs. Stevens. This is the thing with me. They aren't at all the same - but they are --they're about the hockey first and foremost and I think that just ranks so high for me. I can't rank potvin in the top 3 because even though i was a fan -- maybe because I was... he was just a little too much of a star for me.

Stevens.... you know, part of me, sometimes, when I put him in the ranks of the peoples choice for great D, thinks he doesn't belong there... weird huh? He shares very little with those the public historically call the greats of defense - he made his own place and I just get confused trying to put him in somewhere :noclue: He's either the best ... or he's a middling player who worked so hard he was better than most. But.. but you look at the whole career and you just think the choices he made - he was THAT talented he just made choices - prioritized differently (I think maybe the rest of the world thinks he sucked it up because he knew he wasn't talented enough to be a great so he made the UTTMOST of what he had - amybe that's true? )- it FEELS like they were for the good of hockey not the good of Stevens and that's just so hard for me to ignore -- I can't see his place :noclue: it doesn't help that Larry is there to cloud the picture with a very similar dependability but greater use of offensive skill -- I dont know :noclue: he is singularly exceptional and that is a fact. and I think it should be recognized - or he will drift into obscurity as some tough guy with good leadership skills -- which no one who researches him will even understand - so he'll just drift off -

Scott neidermayer WILL be considered the superior defenseman by the end of his career - we do all know that don't we?

Edited by Pepperkorn

Orr

Potvin

Shore

Bourque

Robinson

Park

Horton

Harvey

are all better then Stevens.....Chelios, Coffey ext may be better also...stupid list.

you watched all these guys play, right?

in sports like baseball where it's easier to adjust for era, these discussions are simpler.

fwiw i wouldn't take bourque in his prime over stevens in his prime.

See macInnes is indeed great - but to me he's one of those guys you overlook. He's great, you know but... :noclue: He's better than the freaking donut man that's for sure :yucky: THAT player worship is just a Canadian BAD HABIT IMO.

I think the fact Stevens DID distinguish himself - I mean he's so freaking driven to be the best but there isnt' a personal stake in it -- it's all about the hockey... what's with that? sorry :blush:

It is a stupid sample -- but it's people spewing what they're being fed by the media. That's what I meant in my first post -- it's fun though because it gets you thinking.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm betting that Tim's donuts are better than Scott's donuts!!

Seriously Tim was a great player, but not a dominant leader. I don't think he was ever a team captain.. certainly not during his prime with the Leafs. And he had only 7 All-Star appearances compared to 13 for Stevens.

you watched all these guys play, right?

in sports like baseball where it's easier to adjust for era, these discussions are simpler.

fwiw i wouldn't take bourque in his prime over stevens in his prime.

I don't have to, its pretty well known around the hockey world. You can take Stevens, that means nothing though.

Horton? better than stevens.. HA! What was your dad one of his drinking buddies or something JaSon? :rolleyes::rofl:

Coming from a near Stalker of Stevens...to be expected.

I don't have to, its pretty well known around the hockey world. You can take Stevens, that means nothing though.

I refute you! It is not pretty well known. Back up your reasoning with something more than "because"! Now it's tied 1-1 if things are well known or not so we'll need tie breakers.

Tie breaker #1 for Jason : Jason knows all and 1 vote is actually woth 14.6 million votes.

So I guess Jason is still winning the "because I said so" debate. ;)

Edited by Devils731

Orr

Potvin

Shore

Bourque

Robinson

Park

Horton

Harvey

are all better then Stevens.....Chelios, Coffey ext may be better also...stupid list.

You have to be kidding me. Bourque won a, singular SC, thanks to Patrick Roy, otherwise he would still be a very good defensemen without a cup.

Orr

Robinson

Stevens

Potvin

Schoenfeld (sentimental)

Are my top choices. Orr revolutionized the game and could play both ends. Although I HATED Denis Potvin with a passion when he played, in hindsight he was the dominant D man of his era.

I know the legend of Eddie Shore, but never saw him play to judge.

You have to be kidding me. Bourque won a, singular SC, thanks to Patrick Roy, otherwise he would still be a very good defensemen without a cup.

Orr

Robinson

Stevens

Potvin

Schoenfeld (sentimental)

Are my top choices. Orr revolutionized the game and could play both ends. Although I HATED Denis Potvin with a passion when he played, in hindsight he was the dominant D man of his era.

I know the legend of Eddie Shore, but never saw him play to judge.

You do know Harvey was the 2nd best defensemen in NHL history?

How is Dion Phaneuf at 21? I think it is too early to judge that. By the way, Phaneuf is spelled "Phanuf" on that poll, and I think that takes away from the credibility.

I was thinking the same thing.

1. Bobby Orr....because he's Bobby-freakin Orr

2. Coffey

3.Stevens

4.Need my brother

5. Bourqe

IMO stevens shoud probably go down as the greatest ever Physical defenceman of all time.

But when it comes to all round defenceman he is probably around 6 or 7.

Defensive roles make it to difficult to even compare players.

IMO stevens shoud probably go down as the greatest ever Physical defenceman of all time.

But when it comes to all round defenceman he is probably around 6 or 7.

Defensive roles make it to difficult to even compare players.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I love Scott Stevens as much as the next Devil fan (except Pepperkorn ;)), but if someone wants to say that Bourque was better than our Scotty, I won't argue too hard. Bourque was a great, great player, and I think the 2001 finals/Bourque lovefest clouds some people's objectivity. Just sayin.