Parise Signed

oofrostonoo

BTW - if I calculate correctly, as soon as this contract is over, Parise is an UFA.

Of course, that goes along with the "what do we do once Brodeur retires" thread.....

Better yet, what year is Dion Phaneuf scheduled to become an UFA? Does this signing coincide with the projected UFA of both Parise and Phaneuf?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice contract. Although I must say I'm mildly concerned that when this deal expires that Elias, Zubrus, White, Brodeur, and maybe Martin and Gionta will still be taking up cap space. But that is a long way off and I'm glad we have him signed at such a reasonable price.

Nice contract. Although I must say I'm mildly concerned that when this deal expires that Elias, Zubrus, White, Brodeur, and maybe Martin and Gionta will still be taking up cap space. But that is a long way off and I'm glad we have him signed at such a reasonable price.

So in other words the fact that we have players signed long-term makes you concerned?

The Devils' can take Jamie Langenbrunner's 2.9 million and give it directly to Parise.

WooHoo! This is a great signing. Zach is going to be a big part of this teams future, his leadership skills will come in handy. I found a good Paris tribute on youtube i don't know if anyone has posted it before but here it is.

Edited by NjDevs2244

The fact that we already have $17.4M committed for the 11/12 season is what concerns me. Sure guys like Langenbrunner, Madden and Gionta have deals that expire before then, but they will have to be replaced or kept and with the recent salary inflations it won't be cheap. Of course this is all a long way off and we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

This is a flawed argument - do you see why?

"With the recent salary inflations it won't be cheap."

Therefore, having more money locked up long term (up to a certain point) is very good. Having 17.4M committed long term is excellent - and Lou's got about the right amount.

IMO, Zubrus could be the long-term Madden replacement if Parise transitions to center.

I'm absolutely ecstatic over this contract in both length and monetary terms. I would have bet my house that Parise would have been asking for and received something in the ballpark of a 4-year $16-$18 million deal with the current salary inflation. Shows you what I know. This deal is going to give the Devils added cap flexibility in the future. Simulataneously this deal, by default, is going to serve notice to the other boneheaded GMs that you can lead a fiscally responsible organization, sign good/great players and still have a competitive organization year in and year out. Man, pass me another glass of Kool Aid. Lou rules as usual.

Not sure if anyone's picked up on this yet but nhlnumbers.com has the contract breaking down as follows:

'07-'08 - 2 mil

'08-'09 - 2.5 mil

'09-'10 - 3 mil

'10-'11 - 5 mil

That's a nice little raise at the end there, could make him very expensive to re-sign if he continues to improve the way he has the last few years...