BEER

TrentonDevils

Sounds interesting, over the past year or so I have become a fan of spicy beers.  I didn't really come across any until last spring when I first tried Ballast Point's Sculpin with habanero peppers.  That is now one of my favorite beers.  Founders' Mango Magnifico is even better--first you get a lot of mango flavor and then the peppers just hit you.  Last summer Founders sent some kegs of a spicy beer called Spite to a few Philly bars for Philly Beer Week and I was not really that impressed with it.  It was kind of spicy but didn't have much else going on. 

More recently, Stone came out with two beers called Crime and Punishment.  Crime is Lukcy Basartd (a blend of Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, and Oaked Arrogant Bastard) brewed with peppers and aged in bourbon barrels, and Punishment is Double Bastard brewed with peppers and aged in bourbon barrels.  These were both by far the spiciest beers I've ever had.  Crime was pretty one-dimensional as the spiciness and taste of the various peppers completely dominated.  Punishment was about as spicy but the taste was more complex and the barrel aging was much more noticeable.  They both came in 500mL bottles which I split with two other friends and it took me a long time and a few glasses of water to finish my glass of either of them.  If you prefer the traditional European styles like DM84 you would probably hate how over-the-top spicy these beers were, but I found their uniqueness appealing and even though I'm not a fan of spicy food, for some reason I really like spicy beer.

Pliny the Younger has been popping up at bars in Philly these days.  I went down last year to give it a try and had a great time.  Usually these Younger tappings are mob scenes but for some reason the place my roommate and I went to wasn't crowded at all.  They opened at 10am but the plan was for the first hour to be just for the first 50 people to respond to the email list.  We got there around 9:30 or so knowing how crowded these events usually are, but there was only a handful of us still waiting outside at 10:30 so they just let us all in, they were expecting a longer line.  We got in and sat at a table with the people in the line we were talking to and we all had two full glasses of Younger before it kicked. 

This year one of my other buddies wanted to go try it so we went down on Monday.  We were at a different bar that is known to have perhaps the most crowded Younger tappings in Philly.  We got there two hours before they opened and weren't really that close to the front of the line.  It was run pretty well, we got in and immediately were given our glass ($15 for a 6oz pour.  All the revenue goes to charity but still a hefty price).  After that it was chaos, the tables were long taken and there was very little space to stand.  Took us almost 20 minutes to order another beer after that because the bar ran out of pint glasses and there was only one bartender working.  We left and went somewhere else after our second beer.  Last year's was a nice easy experience, but this year was such a struggle that if this is what to expect, the beer probably isn't worth it.  It is a fantastic IPA, but I think it lives off its reputation that it earned when it first came out, which was before so many other great IPAs were made.  These days Younger is still a world-class IPA, but there are so many others now that are much more easily accessible that it isn't worth the trouble.  If anyone is interested though, this page will let you know where to find it, but remember to get there early!

Now that I had time to read all this this is pretty cool lol.

I tried to get Sculpin last year at Joe Canal's but by the time I go there they said it ran out the day before.  I will have to see when and where I can get that.

As for the Founders Mango, when and where can you find that?  I might actually try again a Founders beer now....

Edited by DevsMan84

Sculpin is their regular IPA, but they make a variation that is brewed with habaneros.  I don't think they bottle it but I've seen it on tap at a few places.  Last summer I got a growler of it from Joe Canal's in Iselin so maybe the Canal's by you will have it this year assuming they are doing it as a summer seasonal type of deal.

The Founders Mango Magnifico was part of their Backstage Series, in which they distribute limited release 750mL bottles of beers that are either normally only available at their taproom or new one-offs.  You might be able to still find bottles of it at places that try to sell them for exorbitant prices, hence they still have some.  It's probably easier to find it at a Founders tap takeover but I don't think they have any in the near future that include that beer, I think last I looked all of their announced takeovers in the area just feature the same beers you can get in stores.  If I find either the Habanero Sculpin or the Mango Magnifico anywhere I'll give you a heads up though.

For those who are interested in whiskey beers, try Brooklyn Brewery's Wild Streak. I didn't like it as much as the whiskey stout they released a couple years ago, but in a similar way, they did a great job brewing a beer whose flavors would complement the whiskey flavor from the barrels rather than being drowned out by them. This one was a Belgian ale, almost a saison, and the sour Belgian notes transitioned nicely into the richer, sweeter whiskey flavors. All in all, a tasty, complex beer, one that understood what it was getting into, rather than using the flavor from the barrels as an excuse. Brooklyn really seems to get it with the whiskey beers, unlike the brewers who use it as a novelty.

For those interested, I wrote a review for Beer Wars that you can check out here.  Sadly, it is not kind and yes, to those old school people who remember Crasher's Movies thread from many moons ago, I still review, only for actual sites now!

http://revoltdaily.org/beerwarsreview/

Pretty interesting review but I have an observation on one of your lines:

"Inevitably, the film’s troubles lie in its one-sidedness.  A good documentary presents both sides of an issue and allows the viewer to decide for themselves"

While in a perfect world this line would make sense, how many documentaries that you see that earn universal praise do this?  Two examples of somewhat recent documentaries that have had huge impacts but are pretty much entirely one-sided are Gasland and An Inconvenient Truth.

My point is rarely do any modern documentaries give equal time to both sides.  They are pretty much always made with an agenda whether they are valid ones or not.  I think your review was a little unfair in that regard.

Edited by DevsMan84

What arguments could you possibly make for the other side though?  It's not a moral conflict where both sides have valid points, Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors will do whatever they can to prevent craft breweries from gaining market share.  Nothing that they do has the best interest of the consumer in mind, it's all just about keeping the better beer away from the people who might want more of it after they've tried it.  Of course the movie is one-sided, but I don't know how they could have avoided that given the topic.  It's not like global warming where there are two sides and both have facts that can support their claims.

For those interested, I wrote a review for Beer Wars that you can check out here. Sadly, it is not kind and yes, to those old school people who remember Crasher's Movies thread from many moons ago, I still review, only for actual sites now!

http://revoltdaily.org/beerwarsreview/

Ive stayed away from this forum for a few weeks because facts and experiece gets you nowhere in an internet arguement so I was wasting my time. I have not seen this movie but its nice to see you take an unslanted view while watching it. Its really easy to watch a documentary and get fired up behind the cause. But DM84 is right, you cant say they should have shown both sides because no documentary does. Just look at any dreck michael moore puts out.

Ive stayed away from this forum for a few weeks because facts and experiece gets you nowhere in an internet arguement so I was wasting my time. I have not seen this movie but its nice to see you take an unslanted view while watching it. Its really easy to watch a documentary and get fired up behind the cause. But DM84 is right, you cant say they should have shown both sides because no documentary does. Just look at any dreck michael moore puts out.

It has nothing to do with "facts and experience."  Everyone else in this thread is an unbiased consumer talking about the beers they buy and drink, while you obviously have a vested interest in supporting the bigger guys that your store sells more of.

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with "facts and experience." Everyone else in this thread is an unbiased consumer talking about the beers they buy and drink, while you obviously have a vested interest in supporting the bigger guys that your store sells more of.

Ughhhh. You saying youre unbiased is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah man you caught me. I have 3000 shares of inbev and millercoors and im trying to sell more by going on this website to try and convert craft drinkers to coors light. Like what on gods green earth do you think this is? I have a vested interest because I dont say every craft beer is better than anything the big guys come out with? You saying that anything AB and MC produces is worse than any craft beer made in the world is the DEFINITION OF BEING BIASED. HOLY sh!t. I sell craft beer too, in fact theres a bigger profit margin on it, id sell nothing but craft if it sold like miller coors and bud. Jesus fvcking tits youre delusional. I complimented the guy for being unbaised. Apparently you got all your info from this movie because youre surely acting that way. I work in the business and you tell me im wrong, you watch a documentary and you're chock full of knowledge. Oh btw I asked my bud saleman, does AB distribute directly to any stores or bars? NO. 100% absolutely not. So as youve said before that they hand out free kegs to take of craft. Youre wrong.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

It has nothing to do with "facts and experience."  Everyone else in this thread is an unbiased consumer talking about the beers they buy and drink, while you obviously have a vested interest in supporting the bigger guys that your store sells more of.

This. I've defended Goose's taste, even if I don't like the way the Big 3 carry themselves. 

This. I've defended Goose's taste, even if I don't like the way the Big 3 carry themselves.

Yes you have. The other guy has not.

And when it comes to taste and judging how good a beer is youre right facts and experience do not matter. But when someone keeps saying theyre right about how business is conducted when they dont have a clue. Then thats when facts and experience in the business does matter. And you can argue as much as you want that you know what youre talking about, but thats just being naive.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

Nor has he attacked it. He has given specific, logical, and coherent reasons why he won't drink it, which he is entitled to do.

Nor has he attacked it. He has given specific, logical, and coherent reasons why he won't drink it, which he is entitled to do.

YES HE HAS!!!! He was spreading lies about how they conduct their business, stating them as fact, and when I called bullsh!t and explained why hes wrong, all of a sudden IM the one thats wrong and lying and a hired hand.

Ughhhh. You saying youre unbiased is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah man you caught me. I have 3000 shares of inbev and millercoors and im trying to sell more by going on this website to try and convert craft drinkers to coors light. Like what on gods green earth do you think this is? I have a vested interest because I dont say every craft beer is better than anything the big guys come out with? You saying that anything AB and MC produces is worse than any craft beer made in the world is the DEFINITION OF BEING BIASED. HOLY sh!t. I sell craft beer too, in fact theres a bigger profit margin on it, id sell nothing but craft if it sold like miller coors and bud. Jesus fvcking tits youre delusional. I complimented the guy for being unbaised. Apparently you got all your info from this movie because youre surely acting that way. I work in the business and you tell me im wrong, you watch a documentary and you're chock full of knowledge. Oh btw I asked my bud saleman, does AB distribute directly to any stores or bars? NO. 100% absolutely not. So as youve said before that they hand out free kegs to take of craft. Youre wrong.

Yes, everything I know about beer I got from this one movie.  :rolleyes:  AB may not distribute directly, but they own distributors.  You might know more about distribution in NJ, but it's not the same everywhere else.  I have seen it said in multiple places that they illegally give free beer to bars that agree to eliminate certain craft taps, Beer Wars isn't the only report of that happening.

And when it comes to taste and judging how good a beer is youre right facts and experience do not matter. But when someone keeps saying theyre right about how business is conducted when they dont have a clue. Then thats when facts and experience in the business does matter. And you can argue as much as you want that you know what youre talking about, but thats just being naive.

Oh please, I know I have said at least once or twice in this thread that Goose Island beers don't taste any worse than they did before being sold to AB.  I won't buy them anymore, but I'm not going to tell people they're bad beers.

Yes, everything I know about beer I got from this one movie. :rolleyes: AB may not distribute directly, but they own distributors. You might know more about distribution in NJ, but it's not the same everywhere else. I have seen it said in multiple places that they illegally give free beer to bars that agree to eliminate certain craft taps, Beer Wars isn't the only report of that happening.

Oh please, I know I have said at least once or twice in this thread that Goose Island beers don't taste any worse than they did before being sold to AB. I won't buy them anymore, but I'm not going to tell people they're bad beers.

Sir I agree to disagree and I look foward to any reviews you post of new beers Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

Pretty interesting review but I have an observation on one of your lines:

"Inevitably, the film’s troubles lie in its one-sidedness.  A good documentary presents both sides of an issue and allows the viewer to decide for themselves"

While in a perfect world this line would make sense, how many documentaries that you see that earn universal praise do this?  Two examples of somewhat recent documentaries that have had huge impacts but are pretty much entirely one-sided are Gasland and An Inconvenient Truth.

My point is rarely do any modern documentaries give equal time to both sides.  They are pretty much always made with an agenda whether they are valid ones or not.  I think your review was a little unfair in that regard.

Fair enough, but there's a fine line between having an opinion and being completely propagandized.  This one felt entirely too "rah rah" craft brewers and while I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment, a genuine POV from the big boys would have been nice.

For some excellent neutral docs, I'd recommend Lake of Fire, The Act of Killing, Restrepo and Wasteland to start.  And Michael Moore is an ass, but at least he has more film construction skill.  Beer Wars was well intentioned but too amatuerish to recommend to the masses.

Thanks for checking it ou!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say that I noticed that Triumph's Philly location has closed recently.  Not surprised as I have known that one to be struggling since at least 2010 (that location opened in 2007).  Triumph is now down to 2 locations again (Princeton and New Hope) and last I heard they are still proceeding with the Red Bank location.

Taking the place of Triumph in Philly is a new brewpub called 2nd Story Brewing.

I'm new to this thread, and don't want to go through all prior posts to see if it's been mentioned, but I was up in Boston this weekend and enjoyed Kentucky Bourbon Ale.  Anyone know if it's sold at liquor stores in the area?  I imagine it's quite pricey, but it might be the best beer I've ever had.

I'm new to this thread, and don't want to go through all prior posts to see if it's been mentioned, but I was up in Boston this weekend and enjoyed Kentucky Bourbon Ale.  Anyone know if it's sold at liquor stores in the area?  I imagine it's quite pricey, but it might be the best beer I've ever had.

I don't think we get that one in NJ but there are other barrel aged beers available.  Here are some you might like:

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout

New Holland Dragon's Milk

Weyerbacher Heresy

John Henry 3 Lick Spiker Ale

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Dogfish Head Burton Baton

Edited by devilsfan26

Haven't been able to find that one, but whenever Brooklyn has released a special barrel aged, I've liked it, and I've had a problem with a lot of other breweries' versions. 

Yes -- my friend brought it back from KY then I had it in KY and they are only just starting to ship it out. 

I'm not sure of anyone around that sells it now.  and in all honesty -- I now just drink bourbon.  I've been serial watching every English murder mystery series - going so far as to become an Acorn TV subscriber.

• 2 weeks later...

Good article about state of craft beer industry and the debate as to what defines what is craft beer

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/09/310803011/as-craft-beer-starts-gushing-its-essence-gets-watered-down

Yeah idk if there really is a definition as to what craft beer should be considered. I mean the most obvious example is Sam Adams. Yeah its hard to consider Boston lager, cherry wheat and octoberfest craft because its so widely distributed. On the other hand though their imperial series and their 22oz seasonals like fat jack and honey queen arent widely available. So does that mean those beers aren't craft and sam isnt a craft brewery because they sell a ton of Boston lager and seasonal 6pks? I don't think so. I think its silly to not consider something craft just because it succeeds as long as it keeps the same quality ingredients.