TrentonDevils

BEER

1,183 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think that is half of the reason.  Obviously the craft brewery has to agree to the sale.  AB recently bought a brewery out in the Carolinas (brewery has Weed in the name).  The reasons for AB wanting it is obvious, but the brewery agreed to it mostly for trying to get better distribution (also getting paid which is nice).  I can't blame them for that.  I have heard talks about smaller craft breweries joining together to help distribute each other's beers, but haven't really heard much else about it and if it is successful.

Jim Koch is indeed a genius.  He also has the craft beer guild in the palm of his hand.  Oh, Jim needs to produce more beer but still wants to be classified as craft?  Well no problems on raising the barrel limit then for him.  A bit hypocritical but it is what it is.  Also interesting how he gives out money to help upstart breweries going, but would never dare allow them to touch his distribution system.

Finally I went up with a buddy of mine to a place called Hops in Morristown last night.  It's a small bar that specializes in craft beers.  I had a beer from Lone Eagle (out of Flemington, NJ) called Cranberry Saison.  It was alright except the fact that it wasn't a saison, but a gose.  That's another recent irritant for me.  Too many brewers cannot even classify the beers they are brewing correctly.  Lately I have been having way too many Pale Ale's that are really IPA's and Farmhouse-style beers that are really sours.

Yea everyone freaked out about that and pulled out of a big festival they were hosting. Can't blame people for taking the money, honestly. They were probably barely getting by a handful of years ago, and AB probably wrote them a check to retire on along with the opportunity to keep running their brewery. I definitely try to support independent breweries wherever I can, but I get it. Everyone does.

The thing about beer styles is there's so much ambiguity.  Styles are based on history, culture, and sometimes base ingredients that can be the backbone to very different tasting beers. A pale ale is really anything made with pale malts. They can have the highest ibu possible, and technically fall in. On the other hand, black ipas are not pale ales at all, and are closer to stouts and porters than anything. Pilsner malt is just another pale malt, and pilsners are just a very specific pale lager. And the difference between Dortmunder export and pilsner? Where they're brewed. Ferment piss and call it whatever you want.

Right now, I just want beers that are true to traditional styles. I want simple single or double hopped ipas, basic brown  and amber ales, pale ales, I'll even jump into the right lager or fruit beer that's no bullsh!t. I'm falling back on things like Torpedo, Genesee Cream (yea crucify me, it's $12 a 30 pack but it's crushable and delicious), a few of the beers my brewery makes (we do very basic craft for the most part), Dale's Pale, Red Fish.

Man get me a beer. It's never too early in this industry.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks

nice man, let me know how you like it! 

i also have really started to like Flying Dog brewery (Snake Dog IPA & The Truth imperial IPA)

I'm trying to watch this game 7 at a bar, and some scumbag has been lecturing his buddy about everything he thinks he knows about beer. sh!t drives me crazy.

42 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'm trying to watch this game 7 at a bar, and some scumbag has been lecturing his buddy about everything he thinks he knows about beer. sh!t drives me crazy.

The WORST... I'm sure he's a great brewer himself too smh 

So the beer review website, RateBeer, is being sold to ZX Ventures which is a venture capital team backed by InBev/AB.  Because of this, Dogfish Head's owners have asked RateBeer to remove all of it's listings from RB and many other craft brewers are following.

Quite frankly, I really don't use RateBeer.  I never found their reviews to be all that helpful and found many to be quite out of sync to what I experienced.  Of course there is always personal tastes, but I have always found BeerAdvocate to more reliable with their ratings.

That is pretty crazy, I would request the same if I brewed.

I also don't rely on them either besides the description of the beer, the ratings always are IPA biased.

Was down at Towson State U. a couple of weeks ago for a lacrosse tournament and brought home a lager and an IPA of Raven Beer.

Very nice local beer

I'm just going to vent ....Lone Eagle just suc... needs work.  The dogfish head brewer they hired on just doesn't get it and I swear he doesn't clean out the lines. It's just sloppy. Or tastes it.   I keep trying them, and no one wants it to go away ....but dude!!!

And my boyfriend Devs84 hit on the head - dude never names the beer right   What gives even?   Dogfish head let him go for a reason    And yet I'll persist in going   Bluefish Baja tacos down the street... I'm obsessed with 

I would recommend anyone who likes beer makes the effort to find Conclave. I'm not telling you where it is Their Gravitational Waves is incredible. They stick to their guns and make what they make how they want to.  

1 person likes this