Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devilsdude530

Isles Sign Sutton

35 posts in this topic

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=335866

The New York Islanders have signed 6-foot-6 defenseman Andy Sutton to a three-year contract. Sutton, who will enter his ninth NHL season in 2007-08, scored two goals and added 14 assists for Atlanta last season and is known for his shot-blocking and physical play. Despite playing in just 55 games last season, Sutton ranked 19th in the NHL in blocked shots with 162. In 2005-06, Sutton ranked fourth in the NHL with 195 blocked shots.

Why am I not surprised that the Isles ended up signing Sutton?

I'll reserve final judgment until financial terms are released, because if they got him cheap, it's not THAT bad. However, Sutton is vastly overrated and I bet Atlanta fans are rejoicing that Andy is officially no longer a Thrasher.

The only reason Sutton blocks so many shots is because he's too big and immobile to get out of the way in time. :P

His playign style isnt what the Isles need. They have alot of people that can hit, and generally Sutton cant do much else.

Well..The Isles needed some help on the Defense..This will upgrade their defense a LITTLE BIT.Not much.

It just seems iek the isles are trying to get something together for the season.

It just seems iek the isles are trying to get something together for the season.

Good signing by the Islanders. He will do good there. Would have liked to see Sutton here in New Jersey but Lou went the cheap way to sign Vishnevski.

Good signing by the Islanders. He will do good there. Would have liked to see Sutton here in New Jersey but Lou went the cheap way to sign Vishnevski.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: You're joking, right?

:huh: Nope. :P

How is Sutton any good? What exactly does he bring to the table in Long Island?

Humm...

Blocking shots?

He has the size that the Islanders need. He can also lay out some hits too and score a goal here and there from the point on the PP.

Well it'll be fun watching him turn the puck over, fall behind the play, and screw up play after play in the process...

He's a defensive liability. Terribly immobile. He's big, but he can't play defense particularly well. He fits in with the Isles just fine.

We all hope that will happen RD when the Islanders play the Devils 8 times this season. I am sure we will see Suttons presence when the Devils face him the 8 games.

Sutton stinks. He's a glorified third pairing defender who was selected in the expansion draft at least once, possibly twice. He's a decent 2nd pairing guy now - but he's also a big doof who isn't particularly physical or good at anything else.

I'm sure the Islanders signed him for too much - and the two of them deserve each other.

Damn, I thought this was about the return of Ken Sutton. Fishler would have been overjoyed.

Don't know if anyone's posted this but it's 3 years, 9 million. Seriously Lou really is a genius, while mediocre defencemen sign here for 1.5 million, they're worth double that on the island!

He has the size that the Islanders need. He can also lay out some hits too and score a goal here and there from the point on the PP.