Lets go Mets!!!

Devils Pride 26

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow willie is so stupid.. first he leaves the rookie in after he had a good inning (when hes a closer in AAA anyway, why 2 innings in majors? stupid).. Muniz (the rookie) walks 2 with 1 out, Sosa comes in gets an out (now 2 out), Delgado bobbles the ball and has no play (bases now loaded, still same score).. LEFT HANDED Schneider comes in to bat for Nats, and Willie leaves in the RIGHT HANDED Sosa, who gives up 2 RBI single.. way to Willie, i thought you would at LEAST understand left handers are supposed to face left handers.. looks like this is another loss, 8-3 now.. Phils are losing 8-6 in the 8th so all isn't that bad.. but this team is looking horrid managerial wise entering the postseason

Edited by nmigliore

I'm too nervous to watch this team now, I wound up dozing off in the first inning before Glavine had a FOUR-spot put up on him. Willie may have mismanaged the game in the middle innings, I dunno. I'm almost tired of getting on Willie, especially after reading the Madden article. It isn't right that the man literally seems to have no support.

Plus let's be honest about one thing, I don't care who he throws out there, you should not be giving up ten runs a game to the Washington Nationals for five straight games! At some point a major-league pitching staff (of a first-place team no less) should start to pitch better :P

Anyway, from a distance it seemed to me that he planned on giving most of the regular pitchers a night off in the pen (especially with Humber going tomorrow) but Glavine didn't do his job tonight. Pretty dissapointing considering we've had our butts kicked by this team lately.

I got up in time to see Beltran walk in the ninth in the middle of the futile rally, I don't know what to make of the six-run comeback. The offense hasn't been the problem during this stretch anyway. At least Reyes finally had a big game.

Thank goodness for the Braves win, magic number is still down to 4. And the magic number for the Wild-Card is 5 as well with the Padres struggling though now the Rockies and even the Braves are putting the pressure on for a WC spot :blink:

Edited by Hasan4978

Well I heard today Willie did have Schowenweis warming. Which makes it asinine that he didn't bring him in for Washington's one lefty hitter in the lineup. If you're not going to bring him in why waste him warming up?! Either don't warm him up to begin with or bring him in once you do. Willie just boggles the mind sometimes.

That said Sosa if he's going to be a viable part of this bullpen has to get that out. We're talking about Brian Schnieder, an average lefty hitter, not Chase Utley or Prince Fielder.

Sosa has proven nothing so far.. hes was doing good his first couple games in the bullpen but now hes gone from being the top to the worst.. and yes I can verify Willie did have Schoewenweis warming up (they showed it on TV) and showed both Guy Conte (BP coach or w/e) and Scott looking confused as why he wasn't coming into the game..

sure you got the right thread metalli O.o ..?

Anyways.. Humber pitched 4 innings, left in the 5th.. he was decent, looked excellent in his first inning.. sorta struggled with his control the next 3 innings.. his curve ball is pretty nice, pretty good control over it.. sometimes throws the same pitch too much, but its worked alright for him..

This is bad right now though.. Mets once had a 5-0 lead, entering the 5th they were up 6-2.. 5-runs charged to Humber but the damn bullpen (Smith and Feliciano) didn't help and right now its 7-6 Nats just ending the top 5th now.. ridiculous.. they are gonna blow the division lead away, book it.

When does hockey season start? I'm tired of these damn 9-8 games :argh:

At least they're pitching real starters the rest of the season - or at least three of the four games (Pedro, Ollie, Maine and Glavine if Sunday's game is meaningful). The starters better start giving us length. The pen's gotten all the abuse but the starters have been awful lately too.

Nice job by our wonderful clutch closer keeping the game within a run...oh wait :P

Ugh. And after the pen had actually had three straight scoreless innings for the first time in months seemingly.

One game up with four to play barring another bizarre rally in the ninth.

BTW I had to repost this from another board this is just too darn funny (with a hint of truth, Acta has taken Willie to school this year, 9-9 with inferior talent and 5-1 this month):

Another 9 run night for the Nationals.

It's like they know what pitch is coming.

Is Acta pulling a Belichek on us?

Edited by Hasan4978

fvck this team.

fvck their useless, befuddled manager. Keep standing there with that stupid defeated look on your face Willie. Would it kill you to turn around and face your players just ONCE?! It's now becoming clear why teams were so reluctant to hire you.

fvck you Billy Wagner. I'm not one to agree with Mad Dog too often, but he's often mentioned how you implode in big spots. Guess we're all seeing it.

fvck you Omar Minaya. You love patting yourself on the back for the good moves you've made...now how 'bout serving yourself up a nice plate of humble pie and admitting that you fvcked up royally by not trying to shore up this bullpen? Speaking of which...fvck this bullpen!

fvck you Luis Castillo and your stupid slap hitting and constant bunting for base hits.

fvck you Rickey Henderson. For all your talent, you were never noted for having much of a work ethic. Kinda funny how you show up, Reyes' (the guy you're supposed to mentor) play drops off...go play some more go fish.

fvck every Met who didn't hustle this year. There's a lot of you.

I really hate this fvcking team right now...

...which means they'll probably get on a roll and win the World Series.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Willie Randolph might just be doing a bad enough job as a manager to get fired. That's difficult, since a manager has little impact on wins and losses over the course of a season.

He's had a lot of help from Minaya though. Having Shawn Green and Luis Castillo on this team is a joke.

Minaya and Randolph have both had bad years. Unfortunately, Minaya's tenure here is playing out like his run in Washington...good moves and big splashes early, not much after. But considering that he had a lot to do with the Mets' climbing back to respectability, I think Minaya has to get at least next year to right this thing.

I'd fire Randolph in a heartbeat, but I don't like suggesting that unless I can come up with a better candidate. I'm sure the Mets would love to get their hands on Acta, but would the Nationals ever allow that? Who else is out there? Joe Girardi? Would he be the right kind of guy for a clubhouse like this? Clearly HoJo wants to manage someday, but is he even close to being ready? So I guess Willie comes back next year, but on a very short leash. Think about it...this is now two times in three seasons that the Mets, when challenged (unlike last year's cakewalk), have fallen apart in a big way. Maybe that's too harsh to say right now...they DO still have control of their own destiny with four games left to play...but when things go south, Willie just doesn't seem to have any kind of presence at all.

The problem is that Minaya doesn't really know what makes a successful baseball team. Neither does Willie, but neither do most managers. However, the Milledge/Green debacle has probably cost the Mets at least 1 win, probably 2 - just enough to vault them into a near-lock for 1st place. Add in acquiring the light-hitting Luis Castillo while a viable second-baseman in Ruben Gotay is already on the Mets roster, and it gets even worse.

Good point I heard on Mike and Mad Dog today - the Mets' bullpen is just really overworked. They don't have any starter who can consistently go deep into games.

Green > Milledge anyday if you ask me .. Dont know what Willie sees in Milledge, the only edge Lastings has over Shawn is more athletic fielding..

At the moment its 3-0 Cards, Pedro pitched 7 full! Heilman just got done with the 8th inning.. Once again our team is out of sync.. now its the offense that is the problem tonight.. 6 outs left and we need 3 runs and this damn Piniero guy keeps pitching.. *sigh*

Well Perez is pitching tomorrow, hes awesome.. i have a feeling things are gonna turn around when hes on the mound..

edit: BTW its 6-3 in Philly.. Phils will win most likely since that game is in the 8th but you never know

Edited by nmigliore

The good thing for the Mets is Perez, Maine, and Glavine are pitching.. bad thing is that the only one who pitched well last start was Ollie with his outstanding 8 innings.. also another bad thing is the Mets need those god damn Nats to beat the Phils AT LEAST 1 game, and even if Nats take 1 game the Mets need a sweep for the division win.. If Phils sweep, which i think is gonna happen, Mets need to sweep as-well just to keep it tied..

Edited by nmigliore

Green > Milledge anyday if you ask me .. Dont know what Willie sees in Milledge, the only edge Lastings has over Shawn is more athletic fielding..

For most of this season Milledge >> Green, although Milledge's fielding gives me the creeps. Still Green was a black hole from May-August. His only two hot streaks this year (April and September) were when his job security was at its most tenuous.

But still blaming Green (or Castillo) for this is silly. The Mets had a 7 game lead with 17 to go and Green's been hitting fairly well during this stretch - as has most of the offense other than Professor Popup. The pitching and managing has been the entire reason for this collapse, notwithstanding the offense finally getting its heart ripped out of it and not showing up the last 14 innings.

The Mets have to win this before Monday, they have zero chance if it gets to a one-game playoff. Who would pitch? Pedro can't pitch on three days' rest let alone four. Duque's apparently going to be used exclusively out of the pen now. Pelfrey against the Phillies in that ballpark? That's got 10-1 written all over it.

Green had a rough start yet still was WAY more productive than Milledge.. what highlight did Milledge ever have besides a few nice catches, which ended up being 'having to dive for' catches because he misjudges half the balls that come to his area of the field.. I've only see him hit like 2 HRs this whole year.. other than that, nothing.. too bad Green is gonna be gone next year

For most of this season Milledge >> Green, although Milledge's fielding gives me the creeps. Still Green was a black hole from May-August. His only two hot streaks this year (April and September) were when his job security was at its most tenuous.

But still blaming Green (or Castillo) for this is silly. The Mets had a 7 game lead with 17 to go and Green's been hitting fairly well during this stretch - as has most of the offense other than Professor Popup. The pitching and managing has been the entire reason for this collapse, notwithstanding the offense finally getting its heart ripped out of it and not showing up the last 14 innings.

The Mets have to win this before Monday, they have zero chance if it gets to a one-game playoff. Who would pitch? Pedro can't pitch on three days' rest let alone four. Duque's apparently going to be used exclusively out of the pen now. Pelfrey against the Phillies in that ballpark? That's got 10-1 written all over it.

All signs agree with what you say about a possible one-game playoff Monday. But the Mets do boast the majors' best road record. So you never know.

I wrote something on their current situation on my blog if anyone wants to check it out.