Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newjerseydevils

Whos # Would You Retire?

15 posts in this topic

Just Curious to see how many players thought Johnny mac was more important than Neids! I Do!

Neither. I would abstain from voting. If I had my druthers you'd have Marty when he retired and Stevens up there.

Edited by Devils731

Neither. I would abstain from voting. If I had my druthers you'd have Marty when he retired and Stevens up there.

It isn't about whose more retireable. A player either is or isn't retireable. I don't feel either of these guys are. If you want to ask who more talented in their time with the franchise it's Nieds but neither gets any votes from me.

Sentimentally, Johnny Mac would be the favorite, but when we talk about who did more and brought more in, it was Neids, no doubt. He was there for 3 cups and picked up a Norris. Not a bad run at all. He had quite a few nice end to end goals that stole games for Jersey. (1995 and 2000 Finals, for instance.)

I think the whole "Niedermayer was there for three cups and MacLean only one" is very unfair. John was on the team when it ABSOLUTELY SUCKED ASS. And DESPITE that he is still the teams all time points champ. I realize that getting goals and assists isn't very important to this organization but I would think that it might count for *something*. *ANYTHING* really.

I wish John's number were to be retired. He's my all time favorite player. Has been for a very, very long time. But it is not going to be. Ever. Lou was stung by John's trade request (though how he could not see it coming is beyond me given that John said that he spoke with Lou privately asking him for a trade because he didn't like the ice time he was getting with the Devils). Stung by John going public with the trade request meant that 15 was right up on the block for anyone who wanted it. And several have worn it since. It's not going to happen no matter how much I wish it would.

I dont think either should get their number retired by the fashion they went out on. Both players played great but it just comes down to both of them leaving in ways that werent seen as fit as Stevens Daneyko and how others that will get their number retired are.

I vote neither as well. Sure they were both great players for us but they still don't deserve it to me.

Here's why I think #27 will eventually go to the rafters:

- When all is said and done, Scotty will be mentioned as one of the best defensemen to ever play the game.

- Three Cups with Jersey, one Norris, and he left the team with a C on the front of his sweater.

Here's why #15 won't be retired:

- Langs is wearing it.

- Mac was a Ranger.

It wouldn't break my heart if Nieds didn't get his sweater retired, but come on, the guy deserves the honor. He screwed us by taking forever to decide he was going out west, but he was HUGE for us for more than a decade. He is, in my opinion, the most talented man to ever wear a Devils uniform other than Marty Brodeur.

His jersey should go up, but only after waiting a couple years. The sting from his leaving still hasn't fully healed yet.

#27 Scott Niedermayer for sure. In due time possibly #15 for MacLean.

I think it would be a slap in the face to Jamie if his number all of a sudden got retired lol.

I think Johnny Mac has done great things for the organization and should be recognized in another way.

I think Langs has a better chance of it being retired then MacLean... when you turn your back on the Lou-Father, then this is what happens... even though he came back... maybe he gets some ring of honor deal

but yeah I don't think either should be... to get your number hung you need to be a FOR LIFER, and yes I know Stevens wasn't but became a legend in the Swamp and nowhere else... period!

We're not Colorado after all :P

I think Neids meant more to this franchise than Mac. Yes Scotty ran but if I have to chose one of the two, I choose the player who was world class.

John MacLean: 701 points w/ Devils

Scott Niedermayer: 476 points w/ Devils

Patrik Elias: 573 points w/ Devils

I know comparing a forward to a defenceman is comparing apples and oranges. But whenever I see comments about John anywhere on this forum, I think people have forgotten just how important he was to this franchise.

If this poll was Elias vs MacLean, Elias would win hands down because people can remember 2006 better than 1986.