Met collapse

NJDevs4978

Met$ are getting in.

Book it.

When Matt friggin Chico is baffling your lineup the day before the end of the season in a big game, it is truly over.

It is Philadelphia. It's a lock it WONT happen.

You posted this before what I told you about the Marlins being ticked off. I had a hunch they'd play awfully hard after that.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think this is ridiculous though.. I mean how can they lose? How can Glavine fvck up so big? I guess this means hes gone? I don't want him back in a NY uni next year! Go home you used up sh!t.. Theres one HUGE reason of why hockey is the best sport - because you can come out with grit to win; you cant do that in baseball. You may be pumped up but if your pitcher isn't throwing strikes, you can't do anything about it.. Its gonna be a long off-season..

My Moves

- Dont fire Willie JUST yet.. give him at LEAST another couple months into the 2008 season.

- Dont resign LoDuca. His temper has costed this team and hes terrible as a catcher, hes only DECENT at blocking balls.. Castro > LoDuca no question.

- Dont resign Glavine. I really loved his season, I thought he did excellent.. But when he needed to step up most, he proved he's nothing more than a used-up pitcher who can't handle a big game. Now I understand why he never pitched Game 6 or 7 of last season's NLCS.. Sorry Tommy but after this terrible outting I doubt you will be wanted back in Queens.. Either retire or go to Atlanta.. But please Minaya, dont resign Tom.

- NEW BULLPEN.. People like Schoewenweis and Smith are decent, let them stay.. People like Mota and Heilman and Feliciano need to GO.

- Resign Castillo, hes WAY more valuable than Valentin in my opinion.. let Valentin retire or sign with another team!

- IF Glavine departs we need a big name pitcher.. I haven't looked over any big-name starters who are UFAs but I really think we need an Ace.. And knowing Minaya from how he speaks in interviews, he is all about pitching and defense. So if Glavine goes, its HUGE to try and sign a young Ace pitcher..

Those are the my briefs

Willie needs to go. He has no character and had no idea how to manage a bullpen.

I like LoDuca, at least he has heart.

Glavine better not be back in a Mets uniform.

Schoeneweis decent? Feliciano terrible? Are you kidding me? Feliciano was our best reliever this season, and Schoeneweis is probably our worst, after mota...are you kidding about that statement?

It's called loafing. Something Reyes and butt buddy Milledge know well. Maybe if they didn't show up the Marlins they'd be playing another game tomorrow.

Castillo was a good pickup and played well. Green had a great September but he's not hitting many out anymore.

The Mets just look like they lost their confidence. All the errors and mental mistakes. They looked panicked.

I normally don't do this but I wrote a little piece on this collapse:

http://www.hittingback.com/?cat=6

There was the continued lack of hustle from a lifeless Jose Reyes who along with not running out balls or getting to balls in the field he normally would became undisciplined at the plate hitting just .214 with 15 strikeouts the final month. The 24 year-old shortstop who bats leadoff and is the sparkplug suddenly heard boos.

If you want to point to what was wrong with this team down the stretch, look no further. After a great first half in which he hit .307 with a .387 OBP, Reyes dropped to .255 and .321 OBP in the second half.

Most baffling was the sharp contrast in the one category he

My Moves

- Dont fire Willie JUST yet.. give him at LEAST another couple months into the 2008 season.

- Dont resign LoDuca. His temper has costed this team and hes terrible as a catcher, hes only DECENT at blocking balls.. Castro > LoDuca no question.

- Dont resign Glavine. I really loved his season, I thought he did excellent.. But when he needed to step up most, he proved he's nothing more than a used-up pitcher who can't handle a big game. Now I understand why he never pitched Game 6 or 7 of last season's NLCS.. Sorry Tommy but after this terrible outting I doubt you will be wanted back in Queens.. Either retire or go to Atlanta.. But please Minaya, dont resign Tom.

- NEW BULLPEN.. People like Schoewenweis and Smith are decent, let them stay.. People like Mota and Heilman and Feliciano need to GO.

- Resign Castillo, hes WAY more valuable than Valentin in my opinion.. let Valentin retire or sign with another team!

- IF Glavine departs we need a big name pitcher.. I haven't looked over any big-name starters who are UFAs but I really think we need an Ace.. And knowing Minaya from how he speaks in interviews, he is all about pitching and defense. So if Glavine goes, its HUGE to try and sign a young Ace pitcher..

Those are the my briefs

I like Castro but he's not an every-day catcher. When you're a backup and miss time two straight Septembers that doesn't speak well for durability. Neither catcher is very good defensively so deciding who to retain or sign is just a question of whether you want offense or defense at the position. Glavine's option is his choice unfortunately although I think he'll decline it and either go to Atlanta or retire. Heilman and Feliciano are two of the three top pitchers in the pen, they're going nowhere.

The Mets should -

fire Minaya. But since they won't do that..

Their problem was that none of their starters could go consistently deep into games. Perez and Maine have control problems and generate high pitch counts, and the rest of the staff was old or Mike Pelfrey, who might be the unluckiest pitcher in the league. This led to them overusing the bullpen, which blew the bullpen out. They need an ace for this staff. I don't know who's available, but if I'm Omar, I'm looking into trading for Johan Santana this off-season, dangling Fernando Martinez out there as bait. The Mets desperately need that ace. Pedro Martinez ain't it.

Get rid of LoDuca, he is finished. Get rid of Castillo, since Gotay is better. Get rid of Shawn Green, since Lastings Milledge is better.

Hope that Duaner Sanchez gets healthy (is that even possible?) and find a 7th inning guy.

The Phillies pitching staff is still pathetic and that team is still cheap, so they're no worry for the Mets in the long-term. The Braves are a greater concern, but the Mets can out-spend them too.

The Mets should -

fire Minaya. But since they won't do that..

Their problem was that none of their starters could go consistently deep into games. Perez and Maine have control problems and generate high pitch counts, and the rest of the staff was old or Mike Pelfrey, who might be the unluckiest pitcher in the league. This led to them overusing the bullpen, which blew the bullpen out. They need an ace for this staff. I don't know who's available, but if I'm Omar, I'm looking into trading for Johan Santana this off-season, dangling Fernando Martinez out there as bait. The Mets desperately need that ace. Pedro Martinez ain't it.

Get rid of LoDuca, he is finished. Get rid of Castillo, since Gotay is better. Get rid of Shawn Green, since Lastings Milledge is better.

Hope that Duaner Sanchez gets healthy (is that even possible?) and find a 7th inning guy.

The Phillies pitching staff is still pathetic and that team is still cheap, so they're no worry for the Mets in the long-term. The Braves are a greater concern, but the Mets can out-spend them too.

Did you catch SNY Sportsnite? They interviewed a few of the players (LoDuca, Beltran, Wagner, Wright), and played some clips from Randolph and Minaya. Wright was clearly the most distraught, LoDuca was both stunned and pissed, Wagner was very matter-of-fact, and Beltran was pretty much emotionless. But Minaya's reaction was the one that got me the most. This isn't word-for-word, but at one point he basically said "Well, we did win 88 games, and we were in first place most of the season." Hey, a$$hole: This isn't the time to accentuate the positive. Your team just etched a permanent place in the most embarassing sports moments archives. Whenever some MLB team is falling apart at the end of the season and in danger of losing their hold on a division lead or a wild card spot, despite having held a sizable lead late in the season, the first team that will now be mentioned will be the 2007 New York Mets. So stop patting yourself on the back for five seconds, if that's at all possible Mr. Minaya, and realize that you will forever be associated with the worst late-season collapse in MLB history. I wasn't for the Mets firing Minaya, and I still don't think I am, but I'm definitely a lot more receptive to anyone who wants to argue that case.

Another Minaya complaint: stop bringing in retreads and castoffs to pitch important games, who have little to no chance of winning. Jose Lima? Brian Lawrence? Dave Williams? Aaron Sele? Yeah, occasionally you might get lucky with a Jorge Sosa who will have a good stretch, but as Sosa showed, these guys eventually show the baseball world why no one really wanted these guys to begin with.

LoDuca had a very good September, but there's no way I'd sign a catcher long-term who's in his mid-30s. Catchers tend to break down quickly at that age. Either give Castro a shot at starting 75% or more of the games or bring in someone else.

I get the feeling Minaya's going to go hard after Santana...which is great, but if they don't re-sign him that's going to be a major disaster. Hopefully Milledge will be part of that deal or ANY deal, because even though this kid does have some talent, he has "punk" and "troublemaker" written all over him. Anybody notice how Reyes was doing a lot better before Milledge came up? Milledge seems like the kind of guy who will never get it, who can quickly tarnish any shining moment he might have by doing something stupid and assinine immediately after. He'll have some good moments on the field, but in the dugout and clubhouse he'll always be a detriment. He'll never do enough on the field to offset that. Green did have a nice April and September, but was completely useless in between. He needs to go. Same with Alou. Enough with the old guys...yes, some of them can still perform, but they just can't stay healthy.

On the "trading for a big pitcher" front, I have no interest in bringing Willlis here. Let someone else overpay the next Barry Zito. If he could be gotten cheap, I guess I'd be curious to see what Petersen might be able to do with him.

Someone needs to have a sit-down with Reyes, and in a hurry. This kid has read one too many press columns and clearly thinks he can thrive on his talents alone. Even the Met fanbase has turned on him, which when you consider how popular this kid's been since the day he came up (even before that) is as bad as it gets, and shows how far Reyes is falling out of favor.

Duaner Sanchez? If that's the only egg the Mets have to put in their bullpen basket then next year's already looking pretty bleak.

The Phillies have coughed up money before (Jim Thome, Kevin Millwood, Billy Wagner) and they will again. They have a great offense. They will always have a problem trying to lure top-flight starting pitchers...when your ballpark's a bandbox, the only way you can build a staff is from within.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hey..I was wrong...call me out if that makes you feel all better...Im wrong hundreds of times a week...especially about sports.

I'm listening to WFAN right now...man even as a Yankees fan this is hard to listen to..

Edited by LOTCB

alou hit like .450 down the stretch, i'll take him on the team next year with open arms.

He was terrific. As was El Duque for a good stretch. As was Glavine for a couple of months. But the problem with old guys is that they BREAK DOWN, and can't be counted on to stay healthy or effective over the course of 162 games. It took forever for Alou to heal from a simple quad pull. Do you really think he's going to be less brittle and injury-prone next season?

This team needs to get younger.

Hey..I was wrong...call me out if that makes you feel all better...Im wrong hundreds of times a week...especially about sports.

I'm listening to WFAN right now...man even as a Yankees fan this is hard to listen to..

If you're referring to my post ehh you went with the law of averages

Mets lost.. Theres gonna be hell to pay for those fish.. Im not just saying this because they beat the MEts but they are big douche-bags. Anyone read the Record article about the Marlins this morning? a$$holes like Ramirez making ridiculous comments about how hes gonna kick the Mets' "butts" .. and Olivo's comments were even more disrespectful, who pointed that he can beat up anyone/anytime, i would love to see that fvck say that to my face.. maybe he should learn to be a catcher the fvckin jerk he is, i swear if i was at the Mets game today and if Olivo came up to bat i would've tackled his ass and got thrown out and fined, it would be well worth it! Olivo also singled out Perez and DiFelice as being "garbage" players.. fvck you stupid MArlins, you are only crying because you are in dead last.. fish fried once again.

Watch your back next year Olivo... if you even are with the fish.. which i doubt..

Throw the Marlins in the same boat with the Nationals and others, who hate the Mets and their cocky attitudes. There's a reason the Marlins said the things they did.

That "sipping champagne" comment has come back to bite Willie in the ass, hasn't it?

Milledge's career doesn't project to be that great - he's probably going to be another Rondell White. A solid, not-great journeyman type outfielder. The Mets aren't going to get much back for him.

Willis is a mechanical nightmare.

Obviously trading for Santana would mean locking him up long-term first.

I don't know what bullpen guys are available this off-season - most of them are bad anyway, usually - there's a lot more Kyle Farnsworths than good pitchers.

The Mets should obviously retain Alou next season. What else are they going to do in left field - put Carlos Gomez there?

Giving multi year deals to Duque, Mota and Schoenweis really hurts right now for the Mets. Should the Yankees be fortunate enough to have some champagne you know they will share some with a true Yankee like Willie Randolph.

What I have not seen mentioned much in the postmortem is that the Mets blew a 7 game lead in the Wild Card with 17 to play as well. At least the '64 Phillies didn't have the Wild Card to fall back on.

Giving multi year deals to Duque, Mota and Schoenweis really hurts right now for the Mets. Should the Yankees be fortunate enough to have some champagne you know they will share some with a true Yankee like Willie Randolph.

What I have not seen mentioned much in the postmortem is that the Mets blew a 7 game lead in the Wild Card with 17 to play as well. At least the '64 Phillies didn't have the Wild Card to fall back on.

It is the second-worst collapse in major league history. The worst still belongs to the California Angels of 1995, who blew a 9.5 game division lead on August 20th, as well as a 12.0 game lead for the Wild Card. The Mets were a 500-to-1 shot to fall out of the playoffs, the Angels an 8332-1 shot.

I dunno. I saw that article but I dare say this is worse since it happened so close to the end of the season. With 17 games to go the Angels had already blown their lead and were a game out of first in the AL West and 1.5 behind the Yankees for the WC. The Mets, OTOH, were still rulers over all they surveyed with the best record in the National League.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Aren't you a Yankee fan?

Shouldn't you be celebrating their wild card berth and worrying about their upcoming playoff series instead of coming on this thread to take cheap shots?

We're well aware what the lead was and how many games were left in the season. We don't need you to point it out to us. So instead of posting for no other reason than to annoy Met fans, why not just enjoy what the Yankees have done with other Yankee fans?