Met collapse

NJDevs4978

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, here have a cookie:

A giant cookie to relieve the giant pain of your team's epic collapse. The collapse all later collapses will be measured by. Don't worry though. The Yankees have your back. They are ready to step in and provide you with a real baseball team to root for. One that buys titles.

Fixed

oh come now... now I don't give a damn about baseball (but I watch and listen to make conversations at work)

but a Met fan crying about the Yankee payroll is like a Nazi calling Al Sharpton a big racist :P

it's been done plenty of times in baseball... big payroll teams that lay eggs... the Orioles had them... the Dodgers have them... this is the second coming of a Mets team that did it....

this whole team came APART at the seams in a way you may never see again in sports!

Willie needs to go. He has no character and had no idea how to manage a bullpen.

I like LoDuca, at least he has heart.

Glavine better not be back in a Mets uniform.

Schoeneweis decent? Feliciano terrible? Are you kidding me? Feliciano was our best reliever this season, and Schoeneweis is probably our worst, after mota...are you kidding about that statement?

No Im not. During the times when our bullpen was weak it was SCHOEWENWEIS who got that big out or 2, or that full inning. NOT Feliciano.. Yea the whole 'pen was good the first half of the year but they all struggled with each other in August/September.. It was sorta odd; Schoewenweis struggled first half of season, then when the other BP pitchers sucked, he stepped up and did great. My statement is not a joke, i find it strange you think that.. Maybe i underestimated Feliciano due to being angery when i posted that, however I still believe Schoewenweis came up big when he needed to while everybody did not..

He had an ERA above 5. He was not a good reliever. The whole "big out" thing is flawed, as bad pitchers can get hot and good hitters can go cold.

Feliciano, on the other hand, had an ERA around three, a WHIP .31 lower, a much higher k/9, etc. There's no comparison. Feliciano was the better reliever.

Edited by Nature's Minister

Awww, here have a cookie:

CHOCOLATE_CHIP_COOKIE.jpg

A giant cookie to relieve the giant pain of your team's epic collapse. The collapse all later collapses will be measured by. Don't worry though. The Yankees have your back. They are the authors of the worst post-season collapse of all time. So they know how you feel.

Fixed Petey's post.

He had an ERA above 5. He was not a good reliever. The whole "big out" thing is flawed, as bad pitchers can get hot and good hitters can go cold.

Feliciano, on the other hand, had an ERA around three, a WHIP .31 lower, a much higher k/9, etc. There's no comparison. Feliciano was the better reliever.

Feliciano got his ass bailed out by other relievers at times.. I didn't say Feliciano was worse overall, I just think THIS season when it counted most (last month) our best reliever was clearly Schoewenweis.. Im not gonna argue anymore if you people actually think others did better in September.. I dont trust ERAs for relievers, at all.. it never says how a reliever does, because he can always be helped out by other relievers..

A giant cookie to relieve the giant pain of your team's epic collapse. The collapse all later collapses will be measured by. Don't worry though. The Yankees have your back. They are ready to step in and provide you with a real baseball team to root for. One that wins titles.

All right...if you want to be a complete dick, that's your right. I'm not exactly sure what Met fans or the Mets ever did to you.

I won't be rooting for the Yankees. I hate the Yankees...always have, always will, although I respect their history and what they've done. But had it been the Yankees collapsing, I wouldn't be acting like some 12-year-old and posting nonsense in the Yankee thread just for the sake of being an a$$hole.

My point is, the Mets have a pretty significant payroll advantage over the rest of the NL. Payroll is no excuse for their utter and complete collapse.

You know. The whole 7 games up with 17 to play and blowing it collapse.

Oddly enough, it is probably the partial cause of their collapse - relying on so many veteran bats and arms to get through the season.

I'm also a Yankees fan, but I don't see the Yankees-Mets rivalry as significant. I could only wish such a collapse on Red Sox fans.

Oddly enough, it is probably the partial cause of their collapse - relying on so many veteran bats and arms to get through the season.

I'm also a Yankees fan, but I don't see the Yankees-Mets rivalry as significant. I could only wish such a collapse on Red Sox fans.

Maybe he just liked Randolph and wants to see him do well as a manager?

Sometimes that happens too B )

Like I said I don't care either way on this one... I was just a curious observer and wanted to keep a pulse on the mood of my customers this week :P

Personally I think Glavine should not be embarrassed of his "effort" but in how he brushed it off in the post-game comments and it was disgrace that he couldn't even FAKE being upset about it!!

Because the Mets collapse was historic. As a baseball fan that is fascinating. I never cared about the Mets, except for the 6 times a year the teams play, until they and their fans started crowing about how they "owned New York". And I still remember the very classy "Party in Queens, Entierro in the Bronx" in the post season last year.

Out of curiosity, are you one of those rare NY baseball fans who roots for both the Yankees AND the Mets? (I've never quite understood that, but I know such fans exist.)

If you're not, and consider yourself a Yankee fan, why the interest in the Mets and what they're doing (or not doing)? What am I missing here? I'd think you'd be far more interested in what's been a great Yankee season...an incredible comeback from what seemed like a lost year. Your team's about to battle the Indians in the ALDS. Lots to talk about there I would think.

I know you're not like PeteyNice, trying to stir sh!t up for the sake of stirring sh!t up. I'm guess I'm just curious as to why a Yankee fan who has so much to look forward to would even care about the Mets at this point.

I certainly don't root for the Mets, but I don't exactly root against them either. I was definitely a Met 'fan' in 06 NLCS and was upset when Yadier ended their season. I'm not a front-runner mind you, and if it was a choice between the Yankees and the Mets, 1000% of me roots for the Yankees. However, I think it's great for baseball and the city of New York to have two excellent baseball teams. I'm not interested in superiority - to me it's clear the Yankees were by far the better team both years, and it's because they play in the league where a team is just going to be better thanks to the DH and all that entails. The difference in the two leagues is staggering - I'd take any team in the AL over any team in the NL.

As a fan of sabermetrics, though, all teams' operations interest me - especially one who I watch 10 or 12 times a season. Friend of mine has a Mets blog and we talk baseball a fair amount.

To be honest, I haven't watched the Yanks in a week - the Mets have been far more interesting. It did seem like a lost year, but all the hitters finally turned it around - I'm excited for the series with the Indians, and a little nervous, since it's basically a coinflip in a five game series.

Just a shame what happened to the 2007 Mets. They had the division all season and had it just about wrapped up and then it looks like they all just layed down and died. Really sad and I feel bad for the Mets fans out there. Just no escuses for this melt down or colapse. Just a shame that they let a Philly team win that division where they had it for just one day.

To be honest, I haven't watched the Yanks in a week - the Mets have been far more interesting. It did seem like a lost year, but all the hitters finally turned it around - I'm excited for the series with the Indians, and a little nervous, since it's basically a coinflip in a five game series.

That makes you one of the wiser fans because I am kind of worried about this series.