Pandolfo due chance to be Devils' 'C'

msweet

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Saturday, September 29, 2007

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

Brent Sutter isn't sure yet which Devil should be his captain, so he's taking his time picking one.

The Devils' coach hasn't been around this team long enough to determine that Patrik Elias isn't the right guy for the job anyway -- even with Elias' struggles while wearing the 'C' last season. And maybe Sutter will just go with three alternates and leave the captaincy vacant.

If he does decide to select a new captain, however, he should look no further than Jay Pandolfo.

There is no player more respected in the Devils' locker room. Two seasons in a row, Pandolfo's teammates voted him their Players' Player and Unsung Hero. So, he clearly would be a popular choice.

This isn't a popularity contest, but the reasons why he is well liked by his teammates are the reasons why he would be an excellent pick to be their captain.

His unsurpassed work ethic is something a former hard-working player such as Sutter can appreciate and hold up as an example. A day off is unheard of for Pandolfo, who has played in 283 consecutive regular-season games -- the fourth-longest streak in team history. And that doesn't count the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals, in which he played with a broken thumb.

Pandolfo was a big goal scorer at Boston University, but didn't have the skills to be one in the NHL, so he adapted his game and became one of the league's best defensive forwards and helped the Devils win two Cups.

It wasn't until last season, however, that he finally received the recognition he deserved when he was a finalist for the Selke Trophy for the first time in his career.

Not that Pandolfo seeks recognition. When asked about the captaincy, he humbly declined to comment.

Although he can be quiet, there is no question he is a leader on this team. Much like Scott Stevens, he leads by example. And when Pandolfo does say something, the players listen.

It was well deserved when he was named an alternate captain last season. Now, he deserves a promotion.

I think Pandolfo isnt the best chice for captian. Especially because he might be playing 4th line. Its either Elias or Madden for me, i think the C should be on one of the top lines and despite Madden being on the 3rd he works with it as he kills penalties. I like Pandolfo beign C but not if hes playing 4th line.