Joe says NO!!

Larussa wouldn't be coming here. Maybe Trey Hillman, but probably Girardi or Mattingly.

And Cashman has done an excellent job. The minors are absolutely teeming with quality prospects. While they spent the last several years stocking up on pitching, between the last draft and crop of international signees, there are more than a few potentially great hitters in the system now. There's also the very real possibility they turn a guy like Horne or Garcia into a positional player.

Edited by Nature's Minister

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amused by all this talk about how the Yankees need incentive-based contracts now. It isn't the NFL, you just can't have incentive-based contracts.

But if they're going to be consistent, I'd love to see them try it with A-Rod and Bora$ - 'We'll pay you $26 million annually, but we'll give you a $3 million bonus for every postseason round you lead the team to', see how fast Bora$ laughs them out of the room. Plus it's an insult to Torre to even suggest the reason they haven't been winning is because he wasn't motivated enough.

As for Cashman it's very hard to say how good a job he's doing. Most of the FA's they've signed have been disasters or dissapointments but George always gets his paws involved, to what extent nobody really knows unless they're a fly on the wall in the room. They do have minor league talent where it counts - pitching - and he does deserve credit for that. You can always buy hitters if you're the Yankees, they don't really need position player prospects.

Edited by Hasan4978

Yay!!!!!! Because it's great to treat a manager who got them in the postseason every year like dirt.

4 world championships

6 pennants

10 division titles

fvck the Tampa contingent. They have destroyed this franchise. Ever since this team got its own network, it's gotten worse and worse. This franchise just became a laughingstock today. Their credibility has been non-existant for a while. Who else takes over a week and lets one of the all-time best Yankee managers hang in limbo. Disgusting. I'm glad Joe said no thanks.

With no good alternatives to replace Torre, this is just another black day in the Bronx.

The problem with basing a GM off of free agent signings is that no one (at least as far as pitching) of any real quality hits the market very often anymore. Pavano and Jaret Wright, although painfully inadequate, were the best available pitchers.

Cashman has been very, very good at aggressively drafting and developing young pitching talent. That is undeniable. There are three guys who can definitely contribute next year (Joba, Hughes, Kennedy) and another five or six with top of the rotation potential who need a bit more time in the minors (Horne, Betances, Sanchez, Garcia, Brackman, Marquez, etc.) before stepping up to the big show.

He's also made some really favorable trades over the last couple years. Abreu for junk, one potentially great and two pretty decent pitchers for Sheffield, Vizcaino and Ohlendorf for the oft injured Randy Johnson and so on.

Even if 2008 is a disaster for the Yankees, the future looks pretty darn bright. Especially considering that if everyone who can walk, walks, the Yankees will have a ton of first round and supplemental picks in one of the deeper drafts in recent memory. Every team has to rebuild eventually.

And I don't think anyone can argue that Torre has been the same manager he was ever since Zimmer and Stottlemeyer left. And I still haven't gotten over not bunting on Schilling during the infamous bloody sock game.

Edited by Nature's Minister

But if they're going to be consistent, I'd love to see them try it with A-Rod and Bora$ - 'We'll pay you $26 million annually, but we'll give you a $3 million bonus for every postseason round you lead the team to', see how fast Bora$ laughs them out of the room. Plus it's an insult to Torre to even suggest the reason they haven't been winning is because he wasn't motivated enough.
Edited by Jerrydevil

Hey, look, it's Randy "Brillo-head" Levine! ;)

It's a somewhat insulting and a spineless move IMO, because they clearly don't want Torre, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to make a change. Make the change, though. Be a man, not a weasel, and Randy Levine is a weasel.

Give the Yankees brass credit. There's a lot of fans like you who fell for their ploy to make Torre look like a greedy bastard.

Nothing wrong with wanting a new manager. And the Yankees want a new manager, but don't have the stones to say, "We're going in a new direction."

I'm a fan who wanted Torre gone, thinks that the Yankee brass handled everything fine, and I don't feel like Torre is a greedy bastard. It wasn't the contract he was looking for, plain and simple, he just declined it. I don't think this is a big deal, but like Petey said, the Yankee beat writers, especially guys like Pete Abraham, are throwing a fit.

I am aware of that. I am saying they made the offer to save face with Posada and Rivera. If they're not free agents, this whole charade is forgone.

Managers aren't a big deal - at least it's hard to measure what effect they have on the team. Torre was considered a laughably bad manager before his stint in New York, so who knows? I do know that the team will save a bunch of money which they can pay to Posada and Rivera to smooth over any hard feelings.

EDIT: and of course beat writers are throwing a fit - they're worse than fans. They're probably upset that they won't get any good quotes out of the new manager or something similarly asinine. The Yankees had to handle this wrong; just how wrong they handled it will be determined by where Rivera and Posada end up.

Not only is Torre gone, but Bowa is going to Seattle: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Bo...f?urn=mlb,49870

I'll miss Bowa, I always loved his intensity and attitude. I wish him the best.

Also, Trey Hillman has signed to be the manager of the Royals, unfortunately the Yankees were too late with their Torre decesion to get him:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AobH...p&type=lgns

I really wanted this guy but I guess we have to settle with either Girardi, Mattingly, or Pena, whom Cashman named his three cadidates for the job. http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/

I don't understand what part of my post is confusing. To sum it up, at the end of the day, the Yankees made a decision and Torre made his, now everyone has to get on with their lives. This is only as big of a deal as the beat writers want to make it.

You have GOT to be kidding. The beat writers are making too big a deal of this? I don't think so.

The part of your post that is confusing is that you wanted Torre gone (and so did Yankee brass), but you think it's OK that the Yankee management made a half-ass attempt to bring him back. Don't you see how spineless and yellow that is? Don't you see that the Steinbrenners and Levine didn't want to be the ones to technically say no to Joe, instead insulting Torre with some performance-based nonsense that he was likely to turn down?

The bottom line is that Torre is gone, and you're happy, which is fine. But don't tell me the Yankees handled it well. They didn't.

Edited by Jerrydevil

You have GOT to be kidding. The beat writers are making too big a deal of this? I don't think so.

The part of your post that is confusing is that you wanted Torre gone (and so did Yankee brass), but you think it's OK that the Yankee management made a half-ass attempt to bring him back. Don't you see how spineless and yellow that is? Don't you see that the Steinbrenners and Levine didn't want to be the ones to technically say no to Joe, instead insulting Torre with some performance-based nonsense that he was likely to turn down?

The bottom line is that Torre is gone, and you're happy, which is fine. But don't tell me the Yankees handled it well. They didn't.

Wow. Of course the beat writers are going to make a big deal out of this, this is giving them plenty of things to write about and thats what they get paid to do. Its not that hard to understand. I love Peter Abraham and his blog, but he has been a whiny little bitch ever since Torre was not brought back. The bottom line is Torre is not a good manager, and has been living off of his four rings for quite some time.

No, my post wasn't confusing. Because you disagree with me you are just trying to attack me. Get over yourself or learn to read and things will be clear for you. I made it clear I wanted Torre gone, I made it clear that I think management handled it well. Everyone who wanted Torre back has to move on. I'm pretty sure he has already had performance based clauses, and besides, he still would have been the highest paid manager. Like Petey said, I would love if someone decided to make me the highest paid at my job, it wouldn't be insulting.

The bottom line to me is the media is saying the Yankees didn't handle this well. I have talked to a lot of fans that I am friends with or see at work (I travel to tons of mechanics shops all over everyday) and I would say the vast majority of them feel they handled fine. This is a business, and this is how it works.

Wow. Of course the beat writers are going to make a big deal out of this, this is giving them plenty of things to write about and thats what they get paid to do. Its not that hard to understand. I love Peter Abraham and his blog, but he has been a whiny little bitch ever since Torre was not brought back. The bottom line is Torre is not a good manager, and has been living off of his four rings for quite some time.

No, my post wasn't confusing. Because you disagree with me you are just trying to attack me. Get over yourself or learn to read and things will be clear for you. I made it clear I wanted Torre gone, I made it clear that I think management handled it well. Everyone who wanted Torre back has to move on. I'm pretty sure he has already had performance based clauses, and besides, he still would have been the highest paid manager. Like Petey said, I would love if someone decided to make me the highest paid at my job, it wouldn't be insulting.

The bottom line to me is the media is saying the Yankees didn't handle this well. I have talked to a lot of fans that I am friends with or see at work (I travel to tons of mechanics shops all over everyday) and I would say the vast majority of them feel they handled fine. This is a business, and this is how it works.